Yunus Musah at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jun 19, 2019.

1. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
  2. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    That’s a fantastic compliment.

Musah is the US’ top young player in my opinion.

If Milan is playing him at wing in Pulisic’s absence, then Milan thinks very highly of him indeed.

Magikfute and TimB4Last repped this.
  3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Well, I guess I have to be that guy.

He played well enough not to be subbed at the half. That's about the best I can say about him.

PS: Reindeer is a terrible player.

4. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    I don't know where you guys got the impression that YM was replacing CP on the right wing. He was on the right, but he wasn't really an attacker. He came forward sometimes, but he was nothing at all like a CP-style forward. They didn't have a counterpart to Leao on the right.

5. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ?

He replaced Puli on the right.

Given he's a completely different player tactically and in action he wasn't a Puli "style forward" as no option was.

6. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a train wreck for Pioli and Milan. Musah wasn't awful but it was obvious he was playing out of position and it was a tough ask defensively as he was tasked to cover the fastest player on the field on counters (Zemura). One-v-one outside defending is not Musah's strong suit and it showed in this one.... but the game-plan/3-back-formation was so obviously wrong from the beginning I was shocked Pioli stuck with it in the 2nd half. What a brutal loss.

TimB4Last and Suyuntuy repped this.
  7. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Ranger needs to find the Power Extreme button for sure. He is barely playing USL level footie right now. I think it is curious that Piloi is being given so much grief, considering they didn't even have enough healthy first team players to have a full bench. ( I know it is Udinese)

I think Pioli has them set up good tactically for the first team, but when they have so few first choice players healthy and fit they are well below the standard needed. Not sure there is a lot he can do. I mean even when their best players are all healthy, they are subpar to the task of what their fans think they can accomplish.

The good thing for Musah is he is getting a lot of run and that will only benefit him long term. Yesterday showed he is a midfielder, and he shouldn't get many minutes out wide like that. He is getting big minutes at a storied club and he is only twenty, so the future is bright for him. This is huge since not so long ago it was pretty dark concerning his future in top flight Euro footie.

If Leao doesn't get himself squared away, he is one of those types of players that ends up at a midtable club, doing just enough to help them stay midtable. Amazing when he is feeling it and the rest of the time infuriating, because he seems like he would rather be anywhere else than on the pitch.

I am not a fan of petulance and find it intolerable when it exceeds talent. I mean CR7 in his prime was petulance defined, but his abilities and his effort made that almost palatable. Leao, not so much and he is hurting the team at this point.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  8. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Should of scored. Shot right at dolla

Damn maybe next time

DCU1984 repped this.
  9. DCU1984

DCU1984 Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very good performance from Musah. This looks like Milans best midfield. Just wish he didn't shoot it right at the goalie.

schrutebuck repped this.
  10. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Musah was solid. Still has some awareness issues with knowing whose around him but he's improving in other areas

11. mattjens

mattjens Member

United States
    Jun 2, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree this looks like the best midfield for Milan. Unfortunately Musah’s yellow today will cause him to miss the next CL match due to card accumulation.

DCU1984 repped this.
  12. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Low key I don’t mind his suspension. He’s running up a pretty high minutes total this season.

13. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ----------RLC---------
    Bennacer----Musah

Possibly by the knockout rounds if they make it.

But that's their midfield chasing the Scudetto down the stretch IMO.

Musah is becoming irreplaceable. Which is incredible at his age. RLC is just a monster. And Bennacer was their best player behind Leao last season. I think those three are their midfield of the future unless injuries.

Namdynamo and Magikfute repped this.
  14. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    It looked to me that Yunus played his best game in a Milan kit. I may have it wrong but I thought he was played deeper and more on the other side of the field than he played when RLC was out. Him and RLC together will make Milan's midfield much stronger than we have seen the last couple of weeks.

I was glad when he got subbed off. I was worried he might make a terrible decision when he is really worn out. It may be me seeing something that isn't there, but it appears to happen frequently when he gets tired. I would trust him as a late game sub, but if I was his coach, when I started him, which would be often in current form, I would plan on subbing him around 65 or 70 mins in most games still being contested where a single mistake could cause us to turn three points into one.

He may just need to build himself up to a ninety minute player. FWIW I would back him to be a very good ninety minute player as he grows into his role and his body matures a wee bit.

15. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Milan isn't dropping Reijnders. Reijnders has arguably been the most consistent Milan player this season. Big issue is he has been missing big chances. But he's the best passer.

When Bennecer comes back I think Musah goes to first mid off the bench, but the fact that Musah took advantage of his opportunity and moved passed Krunic (who Pioli said earlier this season was undroppable) should not be scoffed at either

usnroach repped this.
  16. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Early in the season maybe... but his form has dropped a lot over the last several weeks. He looks like he could use a rest himself.

17. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Musah will play in every game.

Still in my head that he shot directly at Dolla. Lol

18. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Musah is a straight shooter.

Gorky, ChrisSSBB, majspike and 3 others repped this.
  19. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Musah begins on the bench today as Milan visit Lecce.

20. mattjens

mattjens Member

United States
    Jun 2, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Musah coming on for the second half.

21. mattjens

mattjens Member

United States
    Jun 2, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently as RB?

22. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That was a bad outing, clearly Musah is not a right back. The kind of outing that can get coaches fired. Really want Pioli to survive and for both YM and CP to keep getting lots of minutes, maybe just not quite so many that they are getting hurt or being played OOP.

mattjens repped this.
  23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Avoid Twitter, Reddit, Milan forums today, specially if you're fluent in colloquial Italian.

Rossonero23 repped this.
  24. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disaster. Why does Pioli play such a highline with a 2-0 lead and then throw Musah in at RB?

This thing has swung quickly from Milan being top of the table to 6 pts behind Juve.

25. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1st goal Musah loses his man on a corner but even if he was skin tight it may have been a goal. Just a perfect headed on ball to the back post for a 1 footer tap in. But needlessly trying to beat two defenders when your teammate (Theo) is down was tremendously awful. He could have kicked that ball out of bounds and Lecce would have likely given the ball back. What a train wreck of an appearance. Bummer. Things were going so well for Musah. Milan fans crucified Dest for a poor performance and he never returned.

usnroach repped this.