YSA Chant

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by chitown, Jul 2, 2005.

1. gofire2001

gofire2001 New Member

Apr 5, 2001
    Section 8 Chicago
    Nothing. I was just stating I could care less what other people thought about section 8. I'm not saying YSA chant is a great chant. I just don't understand why people keep making it a big deal over and over again.

2. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Stupidest thing said so far in all of this...congratulations.

3. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If attendance were rosy, would we be turning on each other like this?

I'd like to think not.

Pointing fingers at section 8 for one word of profanity used is just ridiculous.

Yes, the chant is stupid, yes it may be offensive, yes it would be nice to not have this debate, BUT nothing is going to change from here.

You can not dictate crowd behavior from an internet soccer geek bulletin board.
    How many people who yell YSA at Fire matches even visit this site? Yet we have idiots from San Jose, NY, Salt Lake and God know's where, all trying to get their two cents in. On top of that Fire fans who hardly ever post here all of a sudden have something to say.

One silly swear word used at a sporting event....
    How do some of you get through the day if this is the sort of stuff that worries you?

4. creative_destruction

Nov 28, 2003
    Chicago
    Here is where one of the problems in this debate seems to lie. IF the Fire management see YSA as a problem, they WILL contact us and ask us to stop it. But as of yet, this year, they have not. Currently the only ones asking us to stop are a few people on this message board. That is not going to get people to stop saying YSA. Another thing that seems to be misunderstood is that Section 8 is not a club (Barnburners, WB05, MDSC, etc are clubs), rather it is more of a semi-organized mob. And it often has a mob mentality. That is, a few people begin the YSA seat banging and everyone joins in (in other words it's not an organized chant but an organic/spontaneous one). Or rather, many people join in. There are plenty, such as myself, and some other posters here that do not participate in YSA, but we are vastly outnumbered. Most of the people that join in YSA don't come here to BS. You should also know that the Capo usually tries to get people to continue whatever chant/song we were doing, but gets overwhelmed by the mob.
    Eventually people will get bored of the chant. Or there will be significant numbers of people complaining to the Fire staff about YSA forcing them to take measures to get us to stop. Until then, YSA will continue because we are not mob enforcers.

5. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    There's one right on Section8Chicago!

I'm just kiddin around...don't get angry.

6. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    I've made the leap that a PA announcement referenced in the PW thread that says using profanity is cause for ejection is management's opening salvo.

This is a very reasonable argument. My impression as an outsider would be that a few strong-willed would be able to spread the word, and in conjunction with the capo, be able to drown it out. But if you feel that the forces are too strong within the section, and you have a better handle on it then a lot of us outsiders do, then I have a better idea of the uphill battle that anti-************** people face.

7. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Angry?
    Who me?
    Well maybe, if I knew what the heck you were talking about.
    I don't get it.

8. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    you're right dude, supporters in s8c really should start caring about how they're percieved on the internet. what's not suprising, is that in real life, at the games, no one cares, people only care when their a faceless entity on the internet. there are PA announcements a request has been made to stop it, but by no means has anyone gone out of their way in any 1 on 1 effort to stop it.

until then please blow this thread up.

9. Ron Keller

Ron Keller New Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Shampoo-Banana
    For what it's worth (and I realize that is probably "nothing"), I would be perfectly happy to see it truncated to "You suck". IMO, it was funniest the first match or two and has become less funny since then, your milage may vary.

Am I going to get my undies in a bunch over it? Nope. Do I have a funnier alternative? Nope. "Doooooooon't shank it!" is about the best I could come up with, and it's not that funny unless the guy actually does shank it. Sorry.

However, I would like to mention a couple of things. If they've been mentioned before, bear with me. You guys are posting faster than I could keep up.

Several people have mentioned that the Fire have not asked you to stop since the return from Naperville. Point taken. On the other hand, didn't I see a thread the other day about ominous new announcements at the last couple of games? Something about profanity leading to ejections?

Let me add another anecdotal anecdote. I don't know anybody who refuses to come to games because of YSA, but I do recall at least one ESPN game where section 8 was loud and clear right up through the first YSA chant, and then ESPN killed the mikes and you could barely hear them for the rest of the match. I know. It's anecdotal. I thought I'd mention it anyway.

On the other side of the argument, it has been pointed out that this thing now has a life of its own and isn't being led by the capos. That alone makes this particular internet slapfight even more pointless than the usual internet slapfight. *shrugs* What are you gonna do? Unless the Fire FO decides to have security crack down on this, it probably won't go away.

10. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Just a suggestion, from San Jose, we change it up every once in awhile. It's a little hard to organize, but for DJ Countess the other week, we yelled "F U Princess", and he got a bit of a laugh out of that one.

11. bing1985

bing1985 Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Near West ChiSuburbs
    My 2 cents -

It makes me more hesitant to bring the kids. I have to be more selective of which nieghbors to invite, etc. I think it does push away some parents.

Why can't we just take out the "a$$hole" word and use the guy's name?

"You suck Rimando!!" is marginally less offensive and still gets the point across.

PS - If you don't have kids please don't post advice on here about how to raise children. And the religious comments have to stop. This has nothing fvcking whatsoever to do with the church. It has everything to do with parents looking for this franchise to provide entertainment, not a confrontation.

12. Mr. Trike

Mr. Trike New Member

Apr 7, 2003
    Chicago
    FWIW...IMHO...wtfc
    Not a bad chant but gets old.

Before he got hurt I liked

"you lick Busch"

Maybe
    "you drunk Johnny Walker"

or after a goal sat.
    "fried Reis"

OK OK I'll stop.

13. GoFireGo

GoFireGo New Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Chicago
    Just a question admist all of this.....what do all of you do when you go to a Bears, Bulls, Hawks, Sox or Cubs game and the ENTIRE CROWD starts a "BULLS HIT" chant? Now THAT is organized profanity.

14. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In reaction to a bad call in the game, I hardly think that the BS chant qualifies as organized profanity in the same vein as YSA.

YSA strikes me as uncreative and childish, far below the standard of S8. But hey. If you guys want to defend it to the death of your section, I'm not going to try and stop you.

It is clear from the reports that have been posted here that YSA does drive away fans. Why not be a bit more creative and find a similar way to torment the goalkeeper that doesn't risk offending people's sensibilities? (Whether you agree with those sensibilities or not.)

Heck, you've got enough of a Polish base that you could probably come up with something worse in Polish, teach it to enough people, and have the unwashed masses be none the wiser...

15. theburden

theburden Member

Jul 11, 2002
    MDSC head brewer
    Thank God we have a Wizards fan telling us how to act in our supporters section.

16. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    Personally, I think it's apples and oranges. Yelling BS is usually an anger venting response to a critical call or decision in a game. This is yelling at a goalkick.

In other words, Bulls fans don't yell **************** the Knicks make a sub.

17. doug001001

doug001001 Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    new song idea: (sung to the tune of sweet caroline)

jim-my cur-tin, (ba ba ba), defense has never been so good (so good, so good, so good)

as for ysa, if the fire front office wanted it stopped they would ask. if the fire front office thought it was reducing sales they would say so.
    no one on here is qualified to say whether or not it is a direct result of higher or lower income for the fire except on their own individual basis rather they themselves go or not.

why don't the mods close this thread like they do other threads with more relevance than this one?

back to lurking

18. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    Because it has been a good 50-50 debate and we discuss a lot of things on here that the Fire don't ask us to discuss first?

19. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    wow.

20. Timber Fanatic

Apr 22, 2005
    Portland Oregon
    Timbers Army in Portland tries to deal with the YSA chant, and the complaints that arise from said chant!

Once in a while we will sub in the Keepers name. Seattle Sounders keeper "Preston Burpo" is despised by Portland fans, so much so that we yell "YOU SUCK BURPO" (instead of YSA) when he's between the pipes. We yell "you suck Burpo" at other keepers too... it doesn't matter what their name is. You suck Burpo will soon be recognized as the most despicable taunt to chant to a goalie. Soon, little kids chanting "you suck Burpo" in the presence of their mothers will see a horrified look of revulsion, followed by the taste of soap in their mouth!

If the opposing keeper is from a canadian team, then of course we chant "you suck a$$...., eh?

Suffice it to say most of our chants are appreciated by fans in the other sections. Sometimes chanting by fans can be heard from outside of sect 107. But the one chant that the whole north end of the stadium loves is....YSA. 300-400 of the timbers Army faithfull are chanting all night long, but throw a goal kick situation into the mix, and all of a sudden you have 2,000 fans (out of 5,000 attending) screaming YSA!

21. ne plus ultra

ne plus ultra Member

Jul 9, 2000
    This is the most sensible thing I've read. The YSA chant is stupid is because it's so fvcking off-base. If we could mount a YSA the next time somebody touched the ball who had just hacked one of our players, or had just put in an own goal, that would be phenomenal.

Doing it on every goal kick is mindless, like some pothead who decorates his utterances with "an' ********" every sentence or so. The way we use a$$hole, it doesn't mean anything to or about the player we're directing it at, but it says a lot about us.

22. ne plus ultra

ne plus ultra Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Peter Wilt said the players don't care one way or the other. In general, they like us cheering for them, so their ambivalence is meaningful.

But we should all take heed of doug001001's words and recognize how much worse it could be than YSA. If I were a player and my club's fans started chanting anything to the tune of Sweet Caroline, I'd ask for a trade. If I were a parent, and my children were exposed to a chant to the tune of Sweet Caroline, I'd not only take them from the game, I'd also withdraw them from participation in the sport, and launch a boycott against the sponsors and advertisers. I'd start an organization for the protection of our country's youth. Do not mention this Sweet Caroline idea again.

23. futbolfirefan

futbolfirefan Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Chicago
    Just say what you want to say and dont say what you want to say. Dont be so angry about it. I like how you complain about a minimal swear word while you go ahead and drop the F bomb trying to support your argument.
    Anyways, our players get hacked more than there are goal kicks so your statement about the yelling ysa then doesnt make sense. Regardless, there are very few goal kicks so hearing the A word 5 times cant possibly harm you. If you have kids just yell earmuffs. (i hope someone gets that joke ;-) )
    You suck at goal.

24. ne plus ultra

ne plus ultra Member

Jul 9, 2000
    I'd make a distinction -- most of Section 8 are hardcore Fire fans who care passionately about the Fire. They'd do things to help the Fire draw more fans.

But there are also hardcore S8ers, who care a little about the Fire, and a lot about Section 8 or maybe their right to be a$$holes themselves. We've seen it here on a number of occasions. The ones I remember clearly are the various YSA debates and the flag-waving debates. (the whole rest of the world knows you wave your flag to celebrate after a goal, and at the beginning of the game or the half, but that you do not obstruct people's view of an on-going soccer match to engage in making a spectacle of your section - but some in section 8 think it's about them, not the soccer game, and have insisted in waving their flags at random moments, on occasion actually making fans miss goals.)

Such people are hard to reach, but I would certainly take part in shouting them down if someone makes a good suggestion for an alternate chant.