1. rbubela

rbubela Member

Feb 17, 2009
    NorCal
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Probably not going to post weekly but looking forward to following the league more closely

Storylines for me
    1. Can DK repeat? I feel SD just got bored last year. We'll see what Lucescue can do

2. Growth at Dynamo. I think it was Leonenko, or one of the 80's/early 90s DK legends, was asked about the current generation and he said "talented but they haven't done anything here yet." YPL title is a good step but would like to see this group of youngsters breakthrough in Europe

3. Growth at SD. Can any Ukrainian breakthrough the attacking half of the lineup. Outside of a lumbering Number 9, I can't remember the last time SD featured an attacking Ukrainian. Will be seeing how much run Mudryk gets this year

4. Who can break the duopoly? Zorya had a talented squad - a good mix of guys in their prime (yurchenko, Shevchenko, vernadub) vets (gromov, gladkiy) and youngsters (Lunev, Buletsa)

5. Metalist. They're in the first but will be following their progress. They already made Aliance quit the First.

2. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Yea saw that about Metalist & Alliance, seems like they'll get favorable treatment for a quick promotion. Makes sense for UPL standpoint to raise the quality of the league again but at the expense of fair play is a shame. Faux-Dnipro scored a goal like 2 steps offside as well, absolute joke. Are they really going to be able to keep Dovbyik? He scored a brace down a man uuuffff...

I imagine Shakhtar will win this year, like you said think they just got a bit bored and focused more on their European campaign, they were in a dynamite group with Real, Inter & Borussia M'bach

Sadly with Dynamo getting better they won't sell the promising Ukrainian talent and they will likely regress if it continues too long. Mykholenko, Zabarny & Buschan need to go but Surkis is a footy junky and dreaming of big things now with Lucuscu

rbubela repped this.
  3. rbubela

rbubela Member

Feb 17, 2009
    NorCal
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    The fact that Alliance took their ball and went home was a weak move.
    Alliance were awarded the first penalty and failed to convert. I watched the recap. Metalist had, by far, the most chances and the yellow card/red card were borderline decisions but not in complete error.

Also, Metalist has some solid looking South Americans.

4. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Interesting, I was just going off of the non-offside call gifted to faux-Dnipro v. Vorskla, figured it was the same thing

Also a monumental embarrassment for Ukraine courtesy of Vorskla. They were eliminated from the new Conference leabue by a Finnish club via two 90th min goals conceded in each leg. They conceded with late goals in the Europa group stage a few years back too I remember, absolutely epic choke job. Sucks since Maximov is the coach and I liked him @ Kryvbas when UPL was on the rise

5. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Damn there's a 20 year old Ukrainian kid @ Troyes in Ligue 1, bought from Rukh Lviv this summer. He made a 10 min cameo off the bench v. PSG last weekend in matchweek 1, trailing 2-1 they brought on a 20 year old xlopits, very cool

What do you know about him rbubela? Saw that he's listed as 6'4" was there any buzz around him last season? That's some heavy duty scouting by Troyes, who are owned by Man CIty like Girona in Spain btw

6. rbubela

rbubela Member

Feb 17, 2009
    NorCal
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Saw him for the first time in the score sheet for the 21s, which was a disappointing campaign given how most of the guys played for WC U20 champs. Outside of that, never heard of him before.

Its good that he left. It didn't entirely work out for Marian Shved but he's with some mid to bottom table Belgium club.

7. rbubela

rbubela Member

Feb 17, 2009
    NorCal
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Shakta blink first, Mudryk played one half. It's just tough to see him break through at this time. Same with Kornienko and Konplia with Dodo and Ismaili blocking there path at RB/LB. Dodo , like an alexander arnold, is known for a few defensive lapses but that's acceptable for that position in modern football. Just create more chances than you give up. Anyway Dodo and Ismaili are prolific, better at their position than anyone with a UA passport.
    Buyalskiy is the most consistent player with DK. I still don't understand why he wasnt taken with the NT. Sheva said he doesnt fit the style of play but he is fairly versatile, better than Bezus at least. Popov and Burda are out and I have a feeling Sirota is going to struggle.
    Chernomorets can't buy a win, very young squad of loanees including Geo.
    What is wrong with Dnipro 1 logo? Looks like some generic garbage in "Create your own team mode" from early 00s Fifa. They need to go. We need the real Dnipro back. Same with Metalist 1925 with their Michighan Wolverines "M"

8. rbubela

rbubela Member

Feb 17, 2009
    NorCal
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Also,
    1. Totovitsky is playing some impressive ball for Desna. Desna also features Selin and Budkivisky - probably a few of the least refined footballers featured in our NT but totally acceptable for mid table UA
    2. Seleznov watch (Minai). He was with Kolos last year but got kicked out for being drunk or hungover. He is 6 goals away from breaking UA goal record. Rebrov and Shatskih hold the record. Two classy guys and Seleznov is well....not so much. This record seems to mean a lot to him if you watch his interview with Aliev. The sad thing is that Minai will probably earn at least 5 to 6 penalties this year and he may become the new goal scoring king. Not the king we want but definitely the king we deserve. For a good portion of his career, he had very skilled footballers feeding him the ball. If Seleznov doesn't have a UA passport he is no where close to the record.

9. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Dodo might be gone before long, he was a special find. Ismailly is brilliant but getting older. Kornienko & Konoplya should go on loan next year and come back in 2023-2024 ready to compete. Still ok for them to gain experience in practice with such a talented squad. Hopefully they progress, that matchup with Monaco is so brutal, both squads young and talented, play exciting attractive footy

Yea I was wondering about Buyalskiy last few weeks. Not a big fan of his but surprised he didn't get called up. Speaking of being called up, surprised that Makarenko moved to some obscure Hungarian club. He has brilliant technique, he played juggle game with Yarmolenko @ Euro's, not sure what's preventing him from being better. He was actually really composed v. Sweden in his short cameo, my only time ever watching him in a game

Nice name drop on Totovitsky, never heard of him so will remember to look up his stats next time I notice Desna playing. Lol I saw Selin was still around a few weeks ago, god he was a stiff. Should've made himself more useful to Ukraine in some Olympic sport, we are struggling in Olympics now, too many guys want to play footy but better suited for other sports haha
    Saw those Seleznyov viral clips lol guy is acting a fool. I have a soft spot for him for Dnipro and our magical journey, saw him score v. Napoli away going nuts in the away section. But I definitely am aware of his limitations. Wasn't a big fan but he somehow got the job done more times than not. Nothing for Ukraine tho so like I said its a bit of a mixed bag. Hopefully he doesn't pass them but ends up tied with them haha

10. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    This new Shakhtar squad is an absolute dream. Blown away how they could find so many young talented Brazilians to still come to Ukraine, play for a homeless club with no fans besides in Europe 6 to 8 times per year and play in what's barely a top 10 league in Europe now

Is Dario Srna part of the scouting decision making now? He's the Director's assistant now right? This team is an absolute dream going into year 3. Lost to a strong Inter Milan in Europa semifinal, then knocked Inter out of Europe, almost knocked Real Madrid into Europa, now this year on the verge of Champs League group stage again. This is the year they could potentially go to a quarterfinal if they stay healthy and have a slightly favorable draw. Tough with a new coach but absolutely helluva roster construction. Traore up top is a perfect signing, already refined not a work in progress, ready to win now mode

Impressive by Matvienko to play LB too btw wow, versatile player, should be a guy who earns a move abroad soon but you know how these things go in Ukraine. and Dodo abused Golovin, besides a few good shots he was a non-factor and subbed off early

11. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Sudakov goal, Mudryk & Konoplya with assists in the 1st half v. Odessa

12. rbubela

rbubela Member

Feb 17, 2009
    NorCal
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    #12 rbubela, Aug 21, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
    Yes, it was against a bottom third team down a man but you saw flashes of why everyone thinks Mudryk is the next thing out of Ukraine. That was a peach of a ball to Sudakov, then went on 3/4 field solo counterattack that he turned into a1 on 1 with the keeper. His finishing was poor but he definitely has the technical ability to demonstrate better.

- Pyatov is done. Time to write a retrospective on his career
    - Chernomorets had way too many chances for just 10 men
    - never had I seen shaktar with so many Ukrianian attacking players in a league game.

13. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Just saw the highlights hot damn Mudryk is growing. You can tell his physique is slightly stronger now already than in the highlight clip you shared about a month ago. His dribbling & speed are insane, that pass on Sudakov goal is genius vision. If he can improve his finishing shooting & passing he has the potential to be a world star

Also very impressed by Konoplya's assist, the intelligent run into space in cramped quarters and then not passing immediately, did a hesitation to freeze defenders and let play develop for the cut back. Its against Odessa but he looked very comfortable inside the box which is a promising sign, not just a player out wide by the touchline running tackling & crossing

14. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Imagine being 20 year old Mykhaylo Mudryk right now, you likely dreamed of being the new Konoplyanka & Neymar as a kid growing up in a town of 20,000 people in Kharkiv Oblast. and in your 1st ever major international game you become the extra-time hero for Shakhtar in Kharkiv, within the space of 10 seconds an interception tackle in your own half, 60 yard sprint and dribble pass to create the winning goal to earn Shakhtar massive amounts of millions. The resources put into his development in the academy already paid off no matter if he pans out any further or not

He's still got a lot of work to do, but the raw skills & speed and the athletic build of a 25 year old Neymar you just can't teach. If this kid has the ability to develop end product with goals & assists he could become a world star. Sensational start for him, surprised that Sheva didn't call him up to Euro's...

15. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Well, that did not age too well... He was rusty early on against Monaco in the return leg but, overall, he did ok.

Mudryk looked a little panicked at this level but it was him who caused the goal against Monaco. He has a lot of pace. He is still ignored in the UPL, though...

16. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Dynamo, it looks, is getting stabilized and may get pretty decent at the UPL level. I do not think Shakhtar has an easy way to the top this season. Dynamo just might repeat (although it is too early)

Also, it must be noted, there is no third competitor for the UPL. Not even close. it is, once again, going to be between Dynamo and Shakhtar.

17. rbubela

rbubela Member

Feb 17, 2009
    NorCal
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Pyatov didn't look good against Chernomorets, near post goal that was called offside, terrible touch/pass into no man's land. I wouldn't say he was all that great against Monaco, parlayed a few saves back into the danger area - one of which led to a goal.
    He was never athletic but always seemed to make the correct decision. He's already a second choice keeper with Shakta probably 2 more seasons left in him.

18. rbubela

rbubela Member

Feb 17, 2009
    NorCal
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Kryvabs and Metalist are rolling in the 2nd. Good to see a few of brand names back at the top.

Stunning kit presentation. Kryvbass upper management appears to know what they are doing. Consumer first, modern. Hats off

19. rbubela

rbubela Member

Feb 17, 2009
    NorCal
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Good on Vernadub for a solid win against Shahkta. When I look at Shaktar's lineup and see nothing but Brazilians plus Solomon, I just don't care about the result. I was hoping Sherrif would get a result so we can see more Sikan, Mudryk, Kornienko and the other youngsters. Speaking of the young miners. Another solid performance in the UPL. But Mariupol looked awful. Shaktar simply crossed the ball into the box at will and the ball usually found someone unmarked. I would say Sikan and Konoplia looked fairly impressive

Dynamo with a 90+ minute penalty. Nasty scenes in the stands. Dynamo ultras attacked Oleksandria traveling support...yes all 14 of them. Other Dynamo supporters, non ultras, were assaulted as well. A woman was seen leaving the mayhem with her stroller. If that image is not going to change anything with how the club deals with Ultras than nothing will. It's bad enough that they're openly Neo-Nazi (well at least some of them). I take my kids to the A's games every now and again and if something like that happened, and continued to happen, I probably wouldn't bring my family. Ultras is one of the reasons, one of many reasons,, why Olympiskiy is nearly empty for most UPL fixtures.

Not much intrigue aside from the duopoloy. Zorya has flat lined, domestically and in Europe, after I predicted they would get 3rd and possible challenge for 2nd in UPL

20. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Damn that's cool, who are their owners? Pretty sure that Kryvbas was a club under Kolomovsky umbrella no? Guessing he's got something to do with them or what? He's been seen twice @ Olympiyskiy btw, supposedly Surkis told him its time to bring back Dnipro too. Don't want to get my hopes up but still dreaming

Vernydub claimed Real Madrid scalp @ Bernabeau, probably the biggest upset in Champs League history, guy is an absolute God right now

Solid result for Shakhtar today, especially after losing their striker to a gruesome injury within 15 min. Got lucky Dzeko missed from point blank range (hopefully more of the same in qualifiers soon) and Shakhtar had a tap in goal saved early in the 2nd half. Pyatov continuing making gaffes & great saves haha. Shakhtar season is ruined with Traore injury, guy is a beast. Without him there's only so far they can go. Imagine if they beat Real Madrid again btw lmao!

21. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Dynamo & Shakhtar u19 squads are destroying megaclubs in the Champions League, Dynamo have smashed Bayern & Barca, pretty sure Shakhtar beat Real too

We have promising youth prospects, our athletes have strong physical attributes and decent talent, I truly think outdated coaching is what stunts their growth. Ukraine just lack tactically advanced coaching. Look @ the fake Dnipro team now as soon as they got some random Croatian dude, he was practically a nobody in Croatia and now has faux-Dnipro challenging for Europa spot...

22. rbubela

rbubela Member

Feb 17, 2009
    NorCal
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Anyone play Backyard Soccer as a kid (early 2000s). There was a Russian team called the Cagey-Bees. It was significantly depressed, disheveled looking bee. Cagey-Bees players were slow and they played like a 1-2-4. Super easy to beat. Some PC developer for kids games in Seattle totally predicted our future.

7 games, 0 goals between Dynamo and Shaktar. Also, looks like the UPL lost there automatic Champions League qualifier. UPL Champ will have to qualify for Champions League. Crazy how far the UPL has fallen in the last 5-7 years.

23. rbubela

rbubela Member

Feb 17, 2009
    NorCal
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    I've seen these results before. Shakta beating Chelsea. Its certainly fun to see, I think a few things are going on.

1) Barca/Chelsea/other blue bloods don't graduate many of their youngsters. Alot of selling and loaning. It would be a mistake to suggest this was future Barca vs. future Dynamo.
    2)Youngsters are notoriously inconsistent.
    3) I have no evidence but maybe the youth teams are after different goals. Dynamo for results and Barca for something else (evaluation)

I will agree that the style of play is antiquated. We seem to be a generation behind

24. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    No I don't remember that game haha, what gaming system was it on?

Btw Winning 11 or Pro Evo however its called where you're at from 2005-2007, is still the greatest soccer video game ever made. I stopped gamming in like 2010 but some of my friends still do, the new FIFA are not better than those games. Did you ever play them by chance?

Its still very impressive, Croatia lives on this type of stuff. When the quality of the league has predictably deteriorated after the war there's a chance to produce and sell players. That's what Karpaty did for a few years before folding or whatever the hell happened to them. That's what faux-Dnipro are doing right now. They are in the business of player development and selling for profit

25. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Mudryk received a standing ovation @ Bernabeau yesterday, only the 5th opposing player to get such an honor. He joins the likes of Maradona, Ronaldinho, Iniesta & Totti

De Derbi mentioned in his presser that the goal of Shakhtar is to groom Mudryk, Sudakov and some kid Bondarenko for Champs League next season. Have seen him mention Bondarenko twice now. Who is this kid, what's his story?