Youth Yanks Abroad, ‘97-‘00 YOBs: 2019/20 Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I really have no idea who will want to do what (and it doesn't seem crazy that there might be some kind of rules/eligibility tweak that affects the Olympic eligibility pool) but it seems like anyone not seen as a core member of the team as important WCQ matches roll around is going to want opportunities to distinguish themselves competitively from other players in the same situation as 2022 approaches.

If you're U20-eligible, theoretically you have that competition next year. But for 97s-00s, you really want to be part of the Olympic pool so you can demonstrate why your 6 goals in Denmark are more valuable than someone else's 8 goals in MLS or whatever. Some guys with bios like this are gonna end up on the final 30 and who knows how many chances they'll actually get to make their case.

deejay and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  2. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sad to hear there are still outdated stereotypes out there.
    English fans are the worst. Odd Lampard had such a wrong understanding of his game despite seeing with his own eyes his talent at Dortmund.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    While I agree with your larger point, I think for the time being he's not a bad option for the NT.

I think he's a pretty weak defender, not the most technical or the most versatile in what he brings offensively, but he's playing in the Premier League at age 23. He's better than players like Lovitz and Villafana at LB. If need be, we can use Dest at LB and Cannon at RB. For the time being, I don't know that we have a better natural LB. He does add a lot of speed, power, and verticalness in getting forward.

Eventually, I'd like to think that between players like Gomez, KHF, Bello, Gloster we'll have a better natural LB than Robinson.

Patrick167, SCSAutism and SUDano repped this.
  4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    They can request all they want. Clubs don't have to release them.
    And since our "best U23" team is basically the USMNT.....................I suspect they'll be at the Gold Cup next summer instead.

We're putting the cart before the horse anyway. Olympic qualification has been our biggest house of horrors. And for that we won't have any of those guys...........guaranteed. We didn't have them for the first go around and now we're likely down at least Cannon and Aaronson from that team. Maybe by this spring we also won't get Ledezma and Llanez again. I think its also possible that both McKenzie and Ebobisse are sold in January.

So its great that we continue building this domestic depth of young players. Gotta keep the assembly line moving.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    It's inconvenient for club teams either way.

The Gold Cup is July 10-August 1. Players will miss all of preseason, and if teams are lucky, they'll make it back in time for the start of preseason.

6. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I think Ebobisse will end up the striker

7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    What if he's with the Gold Cup team? Or in Europe?

I like Ebobisse. If he's available, he deserves to start. But I'd say it's 50-50 he's available for the 23s next summer.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    1318713855443337222 is not a valid tweet id

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    In years gone by we would have made a commotion about a 22 year old American playing in the Championship. Now it just flys on by when we have a younger American starting for Barcelona at the same position. :)
    1318682531609411585 is not a valid tweet id

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This has to be a ploy to get some caps with the USMNT to help get a work permit in England. He's been called in at nearly every chance by the USA, never shown any interest prior to this work permit situation in playing for another country, and denied a cap-tying switch to Chile.

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Gotta admire the kid's balls. I mean, he's a longshot for both Chile and the U.S. and here he has folks talking about a dude on loan from a second division team in England to a second division team in Holland talking about which national team he's gonna play for.

I mean, props to him for getting folks to talk about him. But I don't think the folks at either federation are losing too much sleep worrying about what national team he would prefer to play for.

12. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    That's might be similar ballsy talks that endeared him at Hannover so much.

Grumpy in LA and USSoccerNova repped this.
  13. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can confirm, Richie Ledezma will be on the bench for PSV today!

TarHeels17, dougtee and Clint Eastwood repped this.
  14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    1319304611501658118 is not a valid tweet id

Winoman repped this.
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Sabbi about to get going..................

Winoman repped this.
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    1319699831879852034 is not a valid tweet id

butters59 and Winoman repped this.
  17. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats a striker with confidence!

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    USSoccerNova repped this.
  19. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Can Norwich recall Soto in January and loan him out again or is this a solid year loan? He’s too good for this level and I bet some Eredvisie teams would take him for the 2nd Half of the season.

EPB can be recalled in January if City finds something else for him.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  20. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I believe it was reported that they could.

21. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    They should just leave him there. The more he scores the more he gets his confidence back. Do another loan next season to a 1st division this time so he can have preseason with whoever he goes to.

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup.

Plus, it would be of a bad way to treat Telstar....................................

Soto is now looking like the player we thought he could be.
    I'd call him up to the USMNT or this series of upcoming friendlies.
    Once you start playing like this against adult professionals, you've earned a look.
    Sargent/Johannsson play in the Wales game. Novakovich/Soto play in the TBD second game. We have the Denmark-based guys to consider too.

The waffling "I'm 50/50" schtick works every time.

[And yes, I have no problem with calling up Ledezma from the Dutch 2nd division either. Mendez I'm not as sure about.]

STR1 repped this.
  23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Great news out of Italy:

24. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Soto and lacking confidence is something that doesn't go together, he's an extremely confident player. At this pace, it becomes too easy and boring, and another challenge should be in line as soon as possible.

Patrick167 repped this.
  25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Dest with a good Classico debut.

1320088359813804033 is not a valid tweet id

dougtee and Winoman repped this.