Youth Yanks Abroad, ‘97-‘00 YOBs: 2019/20 Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    You gotta admit it would be quite the job to be able to just pound around an office being like "MATT DOYLE I ORDER YOU IN THE NAME OF MLS HQ TO CRITICIZE THE RECENT HIGHEST PROFILE PLAYER TO SNUB MLS!!!"

(OK, I admit it, that joke doesn't work. Nobody gets to go to the office these days...)

no exit repped this.
  2. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Respectfully, every major entity with a public presence should be actively involved in both overt and subtle influence campaigns that work together to further their goals. If the USSF was moderately competent at it, all the stuff that came out wrt the women's case would never have gotten to the point where the Chair had to resign.

MLS is far better run that USSF and has consistently shown that it is ruthless in pressing every advantage it has as well as retreating while giving up as little ground as possible when it's in its best interest. It would almost be impossible to imagine that they didn't coordinate messaging across their various controlled and influenced mediums - that's how business influence works today.

For example, it would be surprisingly incompetent if MLS didn't dedicate resources (and believe me, it wouldn't take much at all) to try to influence passionate fans at American Outlaws and on BigSoccer - it's super low hanging fruit.

Likewise, having its paid PR rep, Matt Doyle, consistently put out messaging that furthers its agenda isn't nefarious - it's business as usual. Shame on anyone who can't see through the fact that if Doyle prints something, it's in line with MLS' goals and voice. Even better if there are a couple of articles that seem to show that he's independent....even though he's not.

Patrick167 repped this.
  3. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    1266731585501626372 is not a valid tweet id

SCSAutism repped this.
  5. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EPB in the lineup for the restart of Austrian Bundesliga.

Tactical Hipster, Winoman, TxEx and 2 others repped this.
  6. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    To me, that is a very interesting perspective that I find somewhat ironic. I am not disputing what you say at all but it seems similar to some of what MLS' practices w/respect to young players that they have been criticized for (rightly so at times in my mind)...put that together with the Netherlands rep for being an excellent developmental league and it is very interesting...at the least.

I suppose another slightly different interpretation of your words would imply that if he had been in the system earlier, he might have gotten an earlier chance because he would have been acclimatized into the system and would not need the time.

7. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Don't know if I am on the right track or not but I feel that his use (playing all positions at times), has definitely hurt him in the short term but could possibly have long-term benefits. That being said, I think he is at the stage in his career where that long term benefit will begin to lose it's overall value.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  8. The difference with other countries is that the Young team of PSV and Ajax play in our second tier, so an adult competition. They donot play youth football. They have to show they can implement their abilities and talent against players not keen on letting you showboat. That's the difference with youth matches, those matches matter.

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

ChuckMe92, Tactical Hipster and Winoman repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Richards needs to leave, and find first team football next season.

TarHeels17, SCSAutism and bballshawn repped this.
  11. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Thank you for the reply but I wasn't thinking of players in the youth system as much as the players that are playing in USL (or last played in USL)...against men.
    I still think there is enough difference so that it isn't a direct comparison but there are similarities (at least on the surface)

feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  13. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This article says Philippe Sandler's forward passing rate and final third passing rate were both top among all CBs in the Belgian league, and his overall passing rate was third among CBs but he had about double the attempts of each of the two players ahead of him. Looks like a very promising CB who's just a victim of the Dutch depth and someone the US federation should approach.

http://www.voetbalnieuws.be/news/515897/de-stijl-van-het-anderlechthuis-sandler-of-tuta

14. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    I Doubt he gets approached.

You got to find MLS players on the pitch for USMNT, somewhere...…......

15. Arantes

Arantes Member

Fluminense
    Brazil
    Dec 4, 2018
    I hear Cory Gibbs is already working on it.

STR1, largegarlic, SCSAutism and 2 others repped this.
  16. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I'm a Bundesliga team there's no way I wouldn't take a flyer on Erik. You can tell by watching that he's a special athlete and has great feet. From the film, it looks like he sometimes loses focus since he's more talented than everyone else. He needs a higher level to tighten up his focus in my opinion.

17. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahhhhh the ussoccer and MLS hater. Gregg Berhalter's actions with recruiting dual nats so far show that we have a very good probability of both approaching and bringing Philipe into the USA system. Gregg is actually pretty good at recruiting dual nats.

Stupid_American repped this.
  18. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    LOL. prove it that im a hater?

So far you run around these boards criticizing youth players, all because you "know scouts".

19. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Not knowing anything about the ABund, that game looked like a good MLS game in terms of midfield space and ball velocity. EPB looked a step above most of the players.

20. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The league as a whole isn't very good but EPB is a solid CB. He has been under looked because he hasn't had the best club success with SKC and has been on loans for a while. He should without a doubt be included on the Olympic team and be given a chance with the USMNT. CB's peak older like GK's so he still has a long time to develop. I think he will have a big role for the 2026 cycle and even potentially the 2030 cycle.

TarHeels17 and Patrick167 repped this.
  21. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    The loan army rule should give EPB some leverage for his next move.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    1269079759520178176 is not a valid tweet id

TarHeels17 and ielag repped this.
  23. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EPB was 26/26 passing today vs. St. Poelten, bringing his last three matches' total to 129/138 (93.5%). The league as a whole is not the highest level of club competition but he's clearly doing well as of late.

Patrick167 and Winoman repped this.
  24. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Austria is ranked 12th among UEFA leagues, FWIW. Better than I expected.

STANDFAST repped this.
  25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It is, but those rankings measure the top of the leagues. It ranks the clubs that make European competition, and how they perform there. Austria, like other 2nd/3rd tier leagues, is extremely top heavy. To the point of absurdity. RB Salzburg can compete with the best in Europe, as we saw in their series against Liverpool recently. Their results puts Austria on par with Turkey in those UEFA coefficients.

The bottom half of the Austrian league is pretty darn poor. They aren't at MLS level. There are 6 teams in the Austrian Bundesliga that play in stadia with MAXIMUM capacities of 8000 or less. Hartberg's stadium holds 4500, for instance. There are 8 teams in the Austrian Bundesliga that average 5,000 fans or less at their games. There is a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge disparity between the "haves" and "have-nots" in Austria in terms of budget, interest and quality. Its extreme.

EPB plays for one of the "haves," although they've been middle of the table of mediocrity of late.