Youth Yanks Abroad, ‘01-‘04 YOBs (and younger): 2019/20 Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 20, 2019.

1. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    That crossed my mind as well. San Antonio FC would be a good spot too while he bides his time, they play youth.

David Kerr and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
  3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And which MLS academy was Sargent playing for that made him waste 9 months?

4. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    '05 CM Francis Jacobs will play for Rangers U16 at an international club tournament this month. He's been a starter for the '05 USYNT age group and has at least an outside shot at the next US U17s. Has had reported interest from other European clubs.

Luksarus and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  5. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Check back in three years I guess

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  6. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    The point is he should have been at one. All our U18 players should be at our best academies. Sargent had one choice, KC. They wouldn't let him play for them unless he signed a 5 year contract. So, he sat around for months until he turned 18.

When he was called into that post-Couva friendly, he was unattached for all intents. He played nowhere between the U20 and U17 WCs and when he went to Bremen the next February. Then he couldn't play until the next season. So, basically 9 months to the first games in Germany in August.

Same thing with Kayo and KHF now. Sign until you are 22, with no raise if you make it, or sit until 18.

Wonderful system.

DHC1 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  7. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    He is making 6X more than Cannon already.

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    That's a low bar!

I have a fairly modest job and I make about 3 times what Reggie makes.

9. STANDFAST

STANDFAST Member

United States
    Jun 8, 2018
    FCD owns his rights correct? Wondering how he could go to any other USL team without them waiving those rights which they will never do. FCD was blackballing him WHILE he was in the academy. They aren’t going to roll out the red carpet for him to go somewhere else to train. And if he wouldn’t sign with NTXSC why would he sign with SA or OC?

Patrick167 repped this.
  10. NoHammiesAltidore

United States
    Jun 28, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USL does not participate in the whole homegrown rights thing, there have been a few examples of this, Kayo from DC's academy to OC, John Murphy went from NYRB academy to Loudon United.

Edit: Blake Malone went to OC from Seattle after a semester at UNC-CH.

11. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Others have moved to from one academy to another so not sure why this applied only to him but it's likely because of how old he was at the time. Was he at Bradenton or was it already shut down?

12. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Which players have moved from one MLS academy to another? I thought there were geographic allocations (which will hopefully be removed soon).

13. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good question. I seem to remember it happening but it may be only from USL academy's to MLS academy's. Shaft Brewer and Shaq Moore played for FCD for a year and came from elsewhere. I think Brewer from Sacramento but not sure if only them.

DHC1 repped this.
  14. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you make around $240K a year (triple Reggie's current salary) and that's a modest job? Where did I go wrong in my career path.

15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Sorry, I thought he was making about 60.

16. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Patrick167, KUSA77, don Lamb and 6 others repped this.
  17. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #594 ussoccer97531, Feb 4, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    American players to break through at the top level the last four years (in sequential order of when they broke through)

1. Pulisic
    2. McKennie
    3. Adams
    4. Dest
    5. Reyna

Thats five players in a four year span. We are improving a lot. Our players are better. This is no longer a one-off or two-off situation where we've gotten lucky that incredibly talented players have emerged, despite the rest of the generation of American players not being any good. The level is improving. Within 10 years, we'll be a top 5 team in the world, IMO.

The development system still needs a lot of work, but its gotten a lot better, our country has a very big player pool to choose from, our country historically has produced great sporting stars, and results at youth level are also starting to show that even the level of the average YNT player is better than it was 10-20 years ago. I'm not going to suggest world domination is going to happen soon, but I don't see why we won't become one of the best teams in the world once this generation is in their prime, and the next generation cycles through.

TxEx, bballshawn, Pegasus and 8 others repped this.
  19. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    It’s up there as an all-time great Yank Abroad goal. Especially considering the level of play.

20. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, what's even cooler to me is the depth of guys we'll have in top 5 leagues in a few years. There were a few years there where we had pretty much nothing going on in Europe. It sucked. Now, we already have much more, and they're all young.

With guys moving over at a frantic pace, we're gonna have a few per birth year playing in top leagues, and that's huge. The more players that play in top leagues, the more players will realize that you can't just sit in MLS if you want to play on the national team.

KUSA77, ussoccer97531 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  21. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I think you're overly optimistic. I will agree with you on our continued improvement, but reaching the top five within 10 years is a stretch. Once you reach top 15 the climb further up is real tough. With all our improvement it's not as if the rest of the world has stagnated. I would share your optimism if we had a minimum of three times the number of players going to Europe as we now have. And don't forget, most youth players don't pan out at the 1st team level, so statistically the more quality players we send, the greater the yield at 1st teams. Also, we're still not producing high level difference makers. Notwithstanding the limitations our youth players face in moving to many of the top leagues in Europe if we started to produce top prospects we'd be hearing talk of interest from Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester City, Juventus and other top clubs. When I read about a young player in Brasil making a move to Europe those are the pedigree of clubs that show interest. When all these things start to fall into place I'll be much more optimistic about our moving into the ranks of the power footballing nations.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  22. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most South Americans don't go directly to the big clubs, they have to work their way up. Our youngsters are not playing for those bigger clubs RIGHT NOW but who knows where they'll be playing at in the future.

ussoccer97531 and Pegasus repped this.
  23. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most importantly most large player markets in the USA really haven't figured out youth development outside of Dallas, Philly, and Seattle so once the other big cities are producing at the rate they do then we could realistically become a top 5-10 team. Around half of our clubs in large areas have are either just starting to truly scout around the country and set up legit academy systems or they have brand new teams with owners who are very ambitious about developing homegrown talent.

Five years ago our top 3-5 players went pro while the rest went to college, now we see around 30-50 players in every age group go pro or to europe. Soon we could very well see a minimum of 50 kids per age group going to Europe while another 50 players sign pro for MLS clubs once all of the clubs truly invest well in player development. Other countries are getting better but USA has by far the most opportunity to increase as a soccer nation as we really only are producing 10% what we could be and we still have some truly quality players out there now.

Pegasus, ussoccer97531 and USSoccerNova repped this.
  24. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I agree. All the above players (Adams a rare case) were identified by European clubs at 16, if not earlier, and were in Europe at 18 or earlier. Adams, looking at it in hindsight, was a Red Bull Leipzig player from early on who was farmed to their team in New York. With his profile and the contracts he signed, it seems obvious to me, that his path to RB Leipzig was mapped out from before he signed with NYRB 2. But, just leaving him aside if you want, the point is this part of the pipeline is certainly working. Elite 15-18 year old talent is being developed in the DA and moving to Europe to be further developed. Of course, kids that grow up in Europe have always been a part of this pipeline; but the shear number of kids moving at 16 or 18 seems unprecedented.

That one pipeline, if it supplies just one-two players a year, should have us past Mexico in 3 years. You didn't even list Sargent or Weah too. This pipeline might be supplying 3-6 players a year soon.

The next pipeline, players that stay domestically has been hit or miss. It is hard to tell, because the pipelines were empty for so long, that almost all U23 talent looks good in comparison. The best of this pipeline: Pomykal, Durkin, Amaya, Akinola, Palmer-Brown have not come close to moving into the kind of Champions League clubs the above have or even integrating into the USMNT.

The third pipeline, picking up late bloomers, is maybe too early to tell. Most of the guys many might think of late bloomers are just guys that went to college and set their careers back 3-6 years. We will have to see if any of the kids that wash out of the above pipelines can make it later.