Youth Yanks Abroad, ‘01-‘04 YOBs: 2022-23 Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TarHeels17, Jun 18, 2022.

1. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Yeah, this is the new normal. I know there are scouts going to youth club team matches in the big cities from Boston to DC now.
    They used to just concentrate at big tournaments. That is becoming to late now.

It‘s a great sign.

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And in the greater scheme of life he'll be making 100-400K? pretty d*^& good money for any age person. He does that for 5-10 years and has a good nest egg if he doesn't blow it. Can take that and coach or do something completely different. Any kid looking at being a pro soccer player should be seeing a decent floor and fantastic ceiling on pay.

Ray Shoesmith and Winoman repped this.
  4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

Tom Collingsworth, Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    No argument here.

I just don‘t think getting to Europe and being in the shop window is all it‘s cracked up to be anymore. That‘s all.
    That time IMO is already past.

Pegasus repped this.
  6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    It seems to me that a few things are happening at the same time -- if you just want to go to Europe, for whatever reason, your opportunities now are better than they were a few years ago, especially if you have some "real" MLS experience; if you don't particularly, you don't have to to have a shot to make some money and get into the MNT; and if you don't feel strongly either way, and just kind of want to maximize your opportunity and let the chips fall where they may, you can do that too. If you think you have a chance to like jump into the very top level of the game by like, say, age 20, it seems like you need to manage things very carefully and have almost everything break your way, but for everyone else, it's not so intense.

Pegasus repped this.
  7. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    I grew up with a two kids that both played MLS and retired from soccer in the last 5 years.

The first was a Top 10 SuperDraft pick, played 8 years in MLS. He was only a starter for one of those seasons, but was the 12-14th man the other years when he wasn't hurt. He made a total of ~$400K.

The other was a Top 5 SuperDraft pick, played 9 years and was a starter for basically his entire career until it was cut short by injuries. Believe he was even an All-Star in one season and he made between $1.5-2 Million in his career.

Now players have a chance to actually build up a nest egg, although to be fair, I am not sure how much of an MLS career the first player would have had in this version of MLS. The second player though would likely still be in the league now if he could play, but would be the aging vet.

8. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

11. Oops! Not so fast Gaga.

12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I mean obviously something isn't official until it's official, such that if it's not official, it isn't official? The exception, I'd argue, is in cases where something is official.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't see anything conflicting about the tweets. Personal terms are agreed, but not yet a fee.

Pl@ymaker and willydonc repped this.
  14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Indeed. Bryan Reynolds agreed personal terms with Juventus. So.............................

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

SCSAutism and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  16. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're in the business of high end pro soccer and you know what you're doing talent eval wise, you are watching Gio closely and have been.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  17. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s not clear there are other bidders though when it comes to Slonina. I don’t think it’s personal terms he’s agreed upon. The way I read it Chelsea and Chicago have agreed on the amount, but Chelsea has yet to submit the formal written offer.

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

Pl@ymaker, Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

gomichigan24 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  20. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    From BL3 to PL. OK.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  21. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine it’ll be one of the teams lower down the table and probably one of the promoted teams.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think he's that good, but he only played 83 minutes (and had an assist in those minutes). He should've been give more opportunity IMO.

24. Contrary to previous reports the holdup in the deal was personal terms. According to Gaga's agent personal terms are agreed and Chelsea will table the bid.

gomichigan24, Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.