You're not dead to me, Fredo: Morales at Dusseldorf

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by smithfan, Sep 24, 2006.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Winoman repped this.
  2. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Fantastic cup tie.

Saarbrucken through to the semifinals (!!) after winning the shootout in the 10th round of penalties.

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Morales played 120 minutes. The fourth division team was the better side today, Fortuna ended with five yellows (to one).

After ending the 90' 1-1, they played ET and a full round of shots from the spot. Ending those five rounds tied 4-4, they went for the sudden death.

Morales scored his round (9th) and it was the scorer of their only goal in the run of play, Jorgensen, who missed the 10th and the game.

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  5. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    seems like he lost his XI spot ever since that trashing 4-1 loss to Gladbach.

Last 3 games on the bench.
    1 unused and 2 sub appearances for 39 min total.

how many times has he lost his XI spot over past 2 seasons?

6. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    Starter or not he’s in my best 23 for the time being. First back-up to Adams and McKennie IMO.

Winoman and DHC1 repped this.
  7. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would rate Holmes higher than Morales... and there are a couple U23 guys I have ahead of him too because of depth at the position and their talent. Morales is a pretty good player... but I don't have him in the top 4 at CDM and he is certainly not a great option at attacking midfield.

At any rate, I think he is being jobbed at Fortuna right now.... he is definitely better than Bodzek.

8. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Respectfully, there is no evidence that Holmes is better than Morales - Holmes competes against decidedly worse competition so the eye test is meaningless. You are, of course, welcome to your opinion.

9. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair argument... but I don't agree that the eye test is meaningless. ECL is a pretty rough league and Holmes is obviously more than a step quicker than Morales. There is also the matter of Morales getting benched in favor of a 34-year old journeyman w/ 2 goals and 3 assists over his last 4 years... including none this season. On the other hand... Holmes has been hurt... so it makes sense for Morales to get the call since the Intl Break is being played in Europe anyways. Besides, like I said previously... I think the coach is making a mistake in benching Morales. The team took a step forward offensively right when Morales was given a breather and I guess the coach thinks 2+2 and all... but I think it is just a coincidence.

DHC1 repped this.
  10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    By now, he must be used to re-earning his starting spot time and again.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Alfredo Morales makes the 9-man bench today for Dusseldorf in their return to action against Paderborn.

Eighteen Alpha, Maxvall, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  12. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Game is available on Fox Soccer Match Pass at 9:30 eastern.

The Bundesliga has adopted IFAB's 5 substitute rule for the remainder of the season.

Winoman and schrutebuck repped this.
  13. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    he's been on the bench ever since that 4-1 loss to Gladbach, seems like that continues.

14. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even when he plays now he is positioned at right-half instead of holding midfield... which doesn't suit him as well. His strong suit is breaking up plays and starting counters... As far as the USMNT is concerned... there are several players that I can think of that are better than him at that. But on that team? I am not so sure at all. He isn't the most consistent or talented player out there but I do think he deserves more playing time considering the current roster.... but obviously their coach thinks otherwise.

autobus39 repped this.
  15. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back in the starting line up for a derby match up. Games starts at noon eastern on FS1 and TUDN USA.

Last weekend he came on in the 68th minute of a disappointing 0-0 home draw with bottom of the table Paderborn.

BostonRed repped this.
  16. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Up 0-1 at HT.

autobus39 repped this.
  17. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1-0 Fortuna at HT

Goal came off a turnover from as a result of high pressing around the Koln box. Morales was involved in the press but did not touch the ball. He was part of an earlier chance where a Koln defender passed it right to Morales at the top of the box leading to a Fortuna shot two passes later. Morales won a free kick on the Koln end-line late in the half where he was basically chasing a lost cause but was pushed over. The resulting free kick was fired at Morales at the near post, but he did not make contact it seemed.

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The Goats miss a PK and Thommy scores a second for Fortuna right after.

autobus39 repped this.
  19. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Köln scores two in four minutes to claw back to 2-2, from 0-2, 88' and 90+1'. Goats didn't give up.

Suyuntuy and autobus39 repped this.
  20. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-2 FT

Morales was solid for the most part. Had a couple turnovers after the 80th minute although those did not factor in the goals.

largegarlic repped this.
  21. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, I watched from about the 40th minute on, and it was a typical Morales performance. He worked hard and gummed up the center of midfield to make it hard for Koln to play through there, but nothing too noteworthy for good or ill. I don't think I heard the announcers call his name once.

jnielsen and autobus39 repped this.
  23. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man I was watching this game but I turned it off when they were up 2-0.

24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA