Your reasons for reading books

Discussion in 'Books' started by G-boot, Jun 21, 2006.

1. G-boot

G-boot Member

Manchester United
    Nov 6, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you read purely for the entertainment value or is there something else you seek when you turn those pages?

Example: For me, it doesn't matter how thrilling the story is, I'm actually more interested in the character's attitude. First, I look to identify with the character, then project myself into his every encounter. The story can suck, but if the main character has superior way of reacting to conflict, then I'm sold. I'm not interested in what he says, as much as how he says it. The tone of the novel is what attracts me. I'm looking for a way to be, a way to react and respond. A contrived plot does nothing for me.

So. . . why do you read?

2. metabelian

metabelian New Member

May 14, 2005
    san diego
    I think there may be two seperate questions here. The 'goal' of my reading is entertainment (unless it is required reading), but entertainment can be derived from any number of causes. I can be entertained by anything from Harry Potter to Moby Dick to Topology, so I guess that doesn't really answer what I believe you were getting at.

Stylistically I generally prefer novels that are written poetically, and are somewhat ambiguous. That's probably why I'm not so high on a good deal of American literature; it's a bit too blunt for my tastes. Also novels that I find entertaining generally deal with psychological, philosophical, and or sociological issues fairly directly, and do so in a way that I feel expresses truth. It doesn't have to be a 'philosophical novel'; for instance, I think that Les Mis has these qualities within a straighforward narrative.

And I'm a sucker for SciFi and Fantasy, as long as it is imaginative and at least fairly well written.

3. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    O.K. I'll chime in

I read books on three levels 1. to be entertained 2. for knowledge and 3.for everthing else.

for example: for 1. I'm reading prizzi's money 2. I'm reading Che Guevara and 3. psycho cybernetics.

As for 1. I read it and translate it in my mind as a movie. 2.
    I read it store it and if a conversation comes about I can contribute. 3. stuff I want to know for personal use.

Thats just me.

Mashiasu

4. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I read because books are always there, which leads me to reread books more than I would like, but it's hard to have a supply of books when I usually start off a book at 11:00 at night.

Interesting point the OP made about ambiguity in novels. If the ambiguity is a result of the author's conscious decision, then it can be a good thing, though if it results from incompetence then I have a bigger problem.

5. olckicker

olckicker Member

Jan 30, 2001
    I like words and stories.

6. Tommo-Tommo

Tommo-Tommo New Member

Because I always have. I know that sounds lame. But basically it boils down to, both my parents worked in education in some form or another, both of them loved to read and when they had free time they read. I was read to alot as a kid and can't remember not being able to read. For me reading is what you do.

Why do I read certain types of books?
    Pass the time -- This is the "long trip" type reading. You're flying somewhere and you can't really do anything but find something to make time go a little faster.
    Amusement/Interest -- Reading a book for the fun of it. Maybe it's the character, language or story, but whatever it is, it's fun
    Information -- School/Work/Research
    Familiarity -- Rereading old favorites for a variety of reasons, eg a movie version of it is coming out, or I couldn't remember something that happened, etc

7. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All kinds of reasons. I read both fiction and non-fiction, for one thing.

8. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    To look at the purty pictures.

9. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “I was in Nashville, Tennessee, last year. After the show I went to a Waffle House. I’m not proud of it, I was hungry. And I’m alone, I’m eating and I’m reading a book, right? Waitress walks over to me.”

[Lip-smackin’, gum-chompin’ waitress sounds.]

“ ‘Hey! Whut-chew readin’ for?’

“Isn’t that the weirdest ***ing question you’ve ever heard? Not what am I reading, but what am I reading for?

“ ‘Well... goddamnit, you stumped me! Why do I read? Well... hmm. I don’t know. I guess I read for a lot of reasons. And the main one is so I don’t end up... being a ****ing waffle waitress.’

“Then this trucker in the next booth gets up. Stands over me and says, ‘Well... Looks like we got ourselves a reader...’ ”

Viva Bill Hicks.

10. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    "We read to know we are not alone."

11. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i read because i can't climb Mount Everest.

12. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read to keep my mind and imagination engaged and active outside of work!

Escape

Imagine

Learn

I read at home, to relax. I listen to audio books in the car (1 - 2 hours a day ...long commute) to keep from being irritated by the stop and go traffic.

13. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005
  14. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States