Your Preseason Top 15

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by shaggycat, Jul 11, 2005.

1. galvanized_frog

galvanized_frog New Member

Jun 15, 2005
    New Jersey

Butler Bob,

Why do you have to hate on Penn State :confused: You probably went to Pitt :eek: I hate Indiana - they beat my Nits every year it seems.... but I still put them at #1! You have to respect a good team when you see one!

2. galvanized_frog

Jun 15, 2005
    New Jersey
    I thought BC was a jesuit school? Regardless BC will be pretty good this year.

3. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually, I went to Indiana, but grew up a Pitt fan. I respect Gorman, but still hate Penn State. I don't have to respect them if I keep my eyes closed. :p

It's just like you'll never ever, ever, ever see me root for the Flyers in hockey. I also severly dislike/hate NA. But I guess that should go on the High School list.

4. aquick97

aquick97 New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    I believe Jesuits are an order of Catholic priests.

5. galvanized_frog

Jun 15, 2005
    New Jersey
    Guess I should go back to religious studies again

6. galvanized_frog

Jun 15, 2005
    New Jersey
    Fair enough - Lindros is a ***** anyways. Not sure what NA is though?

7. Betterthanyou

Betterthanyou New Member

Jul 16, 2005

New to this thing but i feel i know some about college soccer. your list looks pretty traditional other than your (questionable) choices of Boston University and Northwestern in your top 10. I see you have alot of rep, but would you mind explaining to me ( and maybe others) why you have them both so high. Thanks

8. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Yeah sure I'm a helper.

I have Northwestern @ # 6 because they are the 6th best team in the country going into the preseason. I have Boston U @ # 8 because I have Maryland @ # 7 and BU's best spot is # 8 following Maryland. Any other questions? :) Oh and one other thing I lost all my rep points because I'm a gigantic asshat...

9. thisisstupid

thisisstupid Member

Oct 31, 2003
    Why bother asking soccertom??? He is w/o a doubt the most biased poster on this board....but he loves his billikens! :)

He has SLU in the top ten and they didn't make the tournament and lost arguably their best player to MLS...go figure?

10. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Biased me biased? Not at all. Facts are facts. SLU's quality speaks for itself.

I can't help that these boards are populated by dumb fucts like you that must be reminded of the facts. SLU has spent time at one point or another in the Top 10 in the polls just about every year since 1959. Why would this year be any different? Get back to me when you have an answer for that. SLU is bringing back 9 regular starters from last year and 8 starters from the 2003 team when they finished the season losing to Maryland in the National Quarter-Final along with being ranked in the top 7 or 8 teams at the end of 2003. So yeah I expect SLU to be a very powerful squad in 2005.

Oh and by the way SLU lost arguably their "2" best players to MLS. If I recall correctly you are one of the asshats that swore SLU had no talent last year and then you make an idiotic comment like the one above.

11. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Aren't you the guy that finished 1 point out of last place in last years NCAA Pool? I think so. Yeah. It was you. You really are light on the brain power aren't you (this is code language)? I on the other hand just missed winning the NCAA Pool. Why you ask? I'll tell you why, because I'm smart. See? Good. Yeah I finished 1 point out of first. I think you had 35 points and I had 123. So I'm a WHOLE BUNCH SMARTER than you. I has UCSB winning it all but a couple of IU diehard fans nipped me by one point by picking their team. Kudos to them. I just missed winning by a landslide.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151093&page=8&pp=15

12. galvanized_frog

Jun 15, 2005
    New Jersey
    a little uptight over a college soccer board aren't we?

13. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Nah. Just havin a little fun. OK? What kind of name is galvanized_frog?? Weird...

14. Malaka

Malaka New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    "15.Northwestern - My darkhorse pick. Return the whole roster from a team that upended IU in Bloomington last year. Alvarez has Chivas USA written all over him. I can hear the catcalls now - but just remember I said this come tourney time!"

Soccer America didn't even put NU in their top 40. I hate everything about NU, but after having seen them play last year even I think it's a travesty that they are not a top 25 team.

I think the whole team is coming back this season. Extremely talented and probably the fastest team on a college pitch anywhere.

15. Dr Beeper

Dr Beeper New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Nwestern did get to the second round and returns their whole team ( I do recall reading this) ............I think the most shcoking pick was NC State in the top 25.....maybe Tarantini has naked pictures of you similar to the ones that he has of the NCstate president...

16. Malaka

Malaka New Member

Sep 7, 2004

Finally,UIC will have a chance at winning the conference. They beat UWM last year and I think that they will be the dominant force in the Horizon League this Fall. I think UWM is rebuilding and not just reloading this season. :)

17. livestock

livestock New Member

Dec 27, 2004
    be here now
    Out of the blue...

Hartwick finally beats FIU and gets to the sweet 16, giving Ian McIntyre the credit due for three years of great work (and saving the program from almost being thrown into DIII by new campus administration with a massively successful fundraising campaign).

Long long shot...Stonybrook beats BU for America East title and gets top 20 ranking under Cesar Markovic, who took St. Peter's from the Jersey City depths to a second round NCAA game at Michigan two years ago.

you heard it here first.

18. galvanized_frog

Jun 15, 2005
    New Jersey
    I just felt the need to defend a fellow Nittany Lion fan (after all he/she did have PSU winning it in his 2004 bracket, that didnt pay off for him)

But, the galvanization of a frog is when alessandro volta and and luigi galvani attempted to discover if lighting was the key to producing electricity by attaching frogs legs to metal hooks. The legs moved before the lighting struck the hook and the theory was that it was animal electricity and that this animal electricity was the secret to life. Now, "the word galvanic stands for the direct current of electricity that is produced chemically" and thus Galvani "Galvanied" his frog legs.

A little lesson of science for all of you readers.

19. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999

I see. Thanks!

20. Wildcard

Wildcard New Member

Jul 4, 2004
    US
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Down South we just gig um and fry um!

Anyway I like SoccerTom's picks but I would push Maryland, Wake Forest, UAB, and Coastal Carolina up a tad. ...

21. House2002

House2002 New Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Ok, Segares did not have his best season last year. Yes he is a great player and is doing great in the MLS, but as we all know, one man doesn't make the team. It was great watching him play, but he didn't seem to lead his team as well as past Rams players either.

About the depth of the bench. VCU only had 6 men play in every game last year due to all of the injuries. They lost both center mids, a right mid, and right back through the season. As well as a left back that was out for half the season. The team that beat Wake in the sweet 16 was not the same team that started the beginning of the season. That team was made up of inexperienced players that had more character than the seasoned veterens. You have that happen to any other team and I don't think they would pull off what VCU did. So to say that VCU does not have the depth is completely bogus. They do have the depth and now more experience to go along with solid players coming in.

22. onewhoknows

onewhoknows Member

May 18, 2005
    Hartwick gets to the NCAA Tournament this year not because they beat them, but because they don't have to play them since FIU is in Conference USA. If the "Wick" doesn't win the watered down ASC there should be no complaints about a bid because of strength of schedule.

23. Shutout

Shutout New Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Onionsack...Dombrowski Family showcased on Fox Soccer Channel this week (Tuesday, Aug. 2nd)...FOX Soccer USA...they were out at BASP three weeks ago getting footage and then have gotten much more from the resident photographer himself...maybe a thread to start? Scott, Chad, Tighe, Neil and Zeke along with the rest of the family...

24. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I saw it, was a good piece...but man could they have used any worse footage of Tighe and Chad? Seemed like every time they showed them with the Thunder it was a lost ball or mis touch.

Nice to hear Johnny Sunshine :D got to put those photos to use.

25. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999