Your MUST HAVE Freeware

Discussion in 'Technology' started by chapulincolorado, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE7Bugs/CWilsonMSIE7AndCSSCompliance.html
    All of MSDN's articles without exception are promoting non-compliant markup code, have hundreds of markup validation errors and CSS errors. No one known has addressed this issue at Microsoft. One can not, on one hand, claim to support and to promote W3C web standards and then ignore them all in the webpages and websites which teach web authors on web development. That is and has been a major reason to believe that Microsoft (and all of its MSDN columnists, authors) ignore intentionally and comtempt W3C web standards. Microsoft claims and claimed during years to support web standards that it has ignored in its own microsoft.com website and all over in its own MSDN webpages all at the same time. This is a blatant full-scale contradiction.

* New webpages and new content which are added almost everyday at microsoft.com never pass (markup and/or CSS) validation tests. The irony is to see Microsoft webpages promoting IE 7 with slogan such as "We heard you" which still fails to trigger standards compliant rendering mode in IE 6 and IE 7, which fails to pass markup validation by a large margin and fails to pass CSS validation. It's no wonder why Microsoft is persistently perceived by web authors and web standards advocate groups as the main problem, the incurable negligent, the stubborn careless, the repeated offender who never changes for the better.

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/ArticleID/47208/47208.html
    My advice is simple: Boycott IE. It's a cancer on the Web that must be stopped. IE isn't secure and isn't standards-compliant, which makes it unworkable both for end users and Web content creators. Because of their user bases, however, Web developers are hamstrung into developing for IE at the expense of established standards that work well in all other browsers. You can turn the tide by demanding more from Microsoft and by using a better alternative Web browser. I recommend and use Mozilla Firefox, but Apple Safari (Macintosh only) and Opera 8 are both worth considering as well.

Web Standards? We don't need no stinkin' "Web Standards!"

Acid2 = Passes on Firefox. Compare that to IE7 and it's like M$ doesn't even give a shit. Not only do I see a huge red box, but I also see a horizontal scroll bar right in the middle of the screen and a really small vertical one to go with it.

2. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't feed the troll.

And btw, Firefox does not pass the Acid2 test; only the beta versions of Gecko engine (i.e. Firefox) do.

Back on track...

I've been very happy with portable freeware and routinely use many of the software items there.

3. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't call it "must have," but it is pretty cool. Launchy.

4. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Winamp or iTunes..what do you guys recommend? I currently use iTunes, but I'm getting a little tired of it..it's works well...

5. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    winamp

i would use itunes only because we are forced to use it to sync ipod with right?

6. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I believe Winamp can sync iPods since version 5.5. And it is about a bazillion times better than iTunes in just about everything else.