Your MUST HAVE Freeware

Discussion in 'Technology' started by chapulincolorado, Jul 18, 2007.

1. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  2. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  3. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  5. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Microsoft PowerToys utilities are great. I can't use a system that doesn't have a few (like Command Line Here or TweakUI) installed.

6. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I have somebody that is going to design a logo for me. Any good free programs out there for that type of stuff?

7. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    GIMP or Paint.net

8. MalboroDude

MalboroDude Member+

May 31, 2006
    LookingToProperlyIntroduceMyselfToAnIcelandicGirl
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    At least get an illegal copy of a vector-based program. Logos are not to be created in a bitmap based program. Not even photoshop.

You and the person that does that thing (logo) and anybody who will have to deal with it (printers, etc...) will have a real nightmare with something created in cheap program because it won't create vectors but rather bitmaps which are impossible to increase in size and will look nasty basically on any media. And of course we could get more technical and talk about the pains of the separations, plates and all that pre-press crap but I won't. :)

Check http://www.maa.org/editorial/mathgames/mathgames_08_01_05.html and see if there is something availabe for you in the "free vector programs" section

cheers

9. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Don't pirate software, dude.

10. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah. "Don't".

My must-have freeware: Firefox. The rest is details.

11. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i have a freeware that converts videos automatically for my ipod. 'moviepod'

and there's another one out there, though I haven't go it yet, where you can download youtube video's and other streaming stuff for your ipod. it's free, but with a suggested donation.

and as far as freeware, do the widgets on my desktop count? I love the weather and recipie widget.

12. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Any good freeware for Imac?

13. MalboroDude

MalboroDude Member+

May 31, 2006
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    what do you mean with imac?? Imac is a computer model.

I suppose you mean Apple (as in the apple operative system)

Honestly there's quite few good thing on the apple site. both freeware and shareware http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/. Just take your time there.

check also http://coolosxapps.net/. This site was previously ran by a fellow designer, but since he sold the site it's gone downhill, but still worth a look.

14. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    Notepad++
    Spybot S&D
    VNC
    WS_FTP LE

...and there is a decent vector based illusrtation app that's GNU on SourceForge... it's called Inkscape

...and for the record I've personally designed and produced dozens of logos in photoshop for many different companies of all sizes.

15. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    True freeware, software released under the GPL

VLC
    Azureus
    WordPress
    AlphaBaby
    PuTTy
    Cyberduck

Software that doesn't cost me anything but the companies that release it make a lot of money

Firefox
    Google Earth
    VMware Server

16. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Everybody should have Snood. It's the single biggest reason why I'm more often than not awake at 2am.

17. MalboroDude

MalboroDude Member+

May 31, 2006
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Well basically that's a bit like going against the basics of printing and common sense for any trained individual in print design, though it's acceptable to do it in photoshop if the budget, requirements, expectations (ie never wanting the logo to be enlarged for banners, big ads, etc...) and if a specific look is wanted.
    You can do a logo in photoshop, but it will basically be crap compared to something created with vectors. My exroommate did some too despite not having any education and having an illegal copy of photoshop, and it doesn't mean he did right. He just did that coz of the limited tools he had and his ignorance.

And regarding the big companies....wow..I'm surprised a big company let you or your workplace get you get away with that. Cheers for that.

Create a nice logo in photoshop with 4 uncoated pantone inks, use it in a stationary set, now recreate the same logo so that you match the pantone colours to their RGB and CMYK equivalents (without eyeballing it on screen or doing a quick and very inaccurate conversion in the program) so that they can be used in digital and full colour prints as well as for the web and *making sure the colours remain consistent with the brand* (and not just close matches like from 1 navy blue to another navy blue) and use it in different media, from small black and white news paper ads to some big ass billboards without having any pixelation, distortion of pixels, phone calls from annoyed people working the presses, etc... That'd be a nice and useless headache in photoshop. :eek:) but in Illy it'd be a lot easier, faster, and you could stretch it form here to the moon and still have a beautifully sharp logo.

btw I just finished at work a job for Hitachi of Canada and nope...I didn't use photoshop for it. coz of the previous things I explained.

But hey, we print designers have our own ways to work and create something out of nothing.

cheers :)

18. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    I don't do any print design with the exception of logos :)

I make logos and such in photoshop for familiarity/efficiency purposes, and if a client chooses one of the logos I created there I will re-create it in Illustrator, which I SUCK at using. The only time I use Illustrator as an actual tool for design is if Photoshop can't handle the typeface tricks that Illustrator does.

Back on topic, I should add that I use OpenOffice.org as my office apps.

19. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    anybody know of any good freeware programs for making calendars?

21. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ccleaner which you can get at filehippo.org

filehippo has lots of other apps as well...

22. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    AMust registry cleaner is good as well...i think it's freeware.

23. somnambulist

somnambulist Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Most have already been mentioned, but:

Audacity (very useful audio recording tool)
    OpenOffice (if you don't have the cash for Microsoft Office)
    AVG Anti-Virus (renewing Norton and McAfee get old...)
    Ubuntu (best Linux OS, imo. I usually stick with Windows, but install Ubuntu on a separate partition on your computer and boot into it when you get bored.)

24. Windows_Forever

Windows_Forever New Member

Dec 23, 2007
    freeware such as firefox is too insecure to use so i just stick with microsoft products. ie7 beats ff in every aspect whether you like it or not

25. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    it's nowhere near April 1. Hmmmm?