your lineup vs Czech

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by klins, Mar 9, 2010.

1. klins

klins Member

Jun 20, 1999
    stafford , tx, usa
    mine is
    ----------------------------Howard
    -------Spector------DeMerit --------Goodson--------Bocanegra
    ---------------------Bradley---------Edu
    --------Bedoya----------------------------------Beasley
    ---------------------Altidore---------Donovan

2nd half:

Pearce for Goodson, move Bocanegra to center
    Torres for Bradley or Edu
    Ching or Johson for Beasley, move Donovan to LM

2. aila76

aila76 Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Auburn, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to figure that most of the players with injuries will be back by then (I'm still a bit skeptical of Davies, but I hope he and his prognosis are correct). So, with that in mind...

-----------------Howard------------------
    Spector---Demerit---Onyewu----Bocanegra
    ------------------Edu--------------------
    Dempsey-------------------------Donovan
    -----------------Bradley------------------
    ---------Altidore----------Davies----------

Which would/should also be close to the starting lineup vs. England if all these players are fit.

In second half I'd make the following changes (or start with this formation and change to the above for second half):

------------------Guzan-------------------
    Spector---Demerit----Goodson----Bocanegra
    -------------Clark*---Bradley---------------
    Donovan----------------------------Beasley
    -----------------Dempsey------------------
    ------------------Altidore------------------

*or Jones if he's in the squad, he needs to play in the few friendlies before South Africa.

All 3 keepers should play at least a half in these friendlies, even though Howard will obviously be the starter come June 12. Also, Ching (if he goes) needs to play at least a half somewhere in there as well. And Holden. And really, ideally all the players on the roster should get some time, even if they're unlikely to be big players in the World Cup, you never know with injuries and whatnot...

3. burud111

burud111 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Connecticut
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [LINEUP-4-4-2]Altidore, Donovan, Beasley, Torres, Bradley, Holden, Bornstein, Bocanegra, DeMerit, Cherundolo, Howard[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

If Gooch is then back:

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Altidore, Donovan, Beasley, Torres, Bradley, Holden, Bocanegra, Onyewu, DeMerit, Cherundolo, Howard[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

If Dempsey then makes it back:

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Altidore, Dempsey, Donovan, Bradley, Holden, Beasley, Bocanegra, Onyewu, DeMerit, Cherundolo, Howard[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

If Davies somehow returns to complete the deal:

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Altidore, Davies, Donovan, Bradley, Holden, Dempsey, Bocanegra, Onyewu, DeMerit, Cherundolo, Howard[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

4. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    you line up is assuming whoever his hurt right this minute will be out for the Czech game...i dont think its accurate.

Can we just please see what Spector has at LB for the nats..i know its not ideal but lets just take a peak

5. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -------------Altidore----Dempsey----
    -------Donovan------------------Holden---

--------------Bradley----Edu----------------

-----Pearce----Bocanegra---Gooch-----Spector--
    --------------------HOWARD-------------

6. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This

Subs:
    Feilhaber-->Edu 65th
    Beasley-->Holden 70th

CHAR-LIE DA-VIES *clap....clap....clap-clap-clap*
    CHAR-LIE DA-VIES *clap....clap....clap-clap-clap*.....85th for Dempsey :D

7. ClevelandForce

Jan 27, 2010
    I've been the biggest Jermaine Jones cynic, seeing as though the guy has never played one second with the USA...but after actually taking the time to check out some clips of him....geez. If somehow he gets healthy AND gets fit AND gels with the other guys on the team AND Bob somehow goes against every conservative move he's ever made and decides to insert a relatively new face into a pretty much settled group.....I think the team would react favorably to such a tough-as-nails, somewhat crazy, and experienced player on our side.

8. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    --------Donovan--------Altidore---------

-Adu------Edu--------Jones-----Dempsey--

-Pearce--Goodson----Onyewu----Spector--

Subs used:

Bradley --> Jones (60th)
    Torres --> Edu (75th)
    Bocanegra --> Pearce (60th)
    Demerit --> Goodson (60th)
    Bedoya -->Altidore (60th)

9. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh geez, you guys want Pearce back in the first team?

Please... just say no.

----------Altidore---Dempsey------------
    -Donovan------------------------Holden--
    ------------Bradley--Edu------------------
    -Bocanegra--Gooch--Demerit--Spector-
    -----------------Howard------------------

Jones for Edu
    Cherundolo for Spector
    Torres for Holden (Donovan switches to the right)
    Goodson for either Gooch or Demerit
    And, in a perfect world, Davies for either Jozy or Clint

10. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming we will have a 23 man roster and also assuming all injured players will be back.

GK
    Howard
    Hanneman
    Guzan

DF
    Bocanegra
    Onyweu
    DeMerit
    Dolo
    Bornstein
    Spector
    Pearce

MF
    Donovan
    Bradley
    Clark
    Dempsey
    Feilhaber
    Edu
    Holden
    Jones
    Torres
    Bedoya

FW
    Altidore
    Davies
    Ching

Obviously I loaded up on the MF's because that is our strongest position and some of them can also cover DF (Edu/Clark) and FW (Donovan/Dempsey)

1 person likes this.
  11. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that anyone disagrees that a healthy, fit, and in-form Jones is an awsome addition.

But he's getting another procedure done this week. He still has pain from the injury he suffered last fall. We are approaching a year since he last played.

In other words, those amazing clips you see are probably not what you are going to get with Jones these days.

I would love to be wrong, but I don't know how anyone can feel comfortable predicting the old Jones to be ready so soon.

Clark and Edu may not be great like Jones was before his injury, but they are good players and US fans need to feel comfortable with them because they are probably the players we will use in SA.

Davies? I still have my doubts. He may turn out to be worth taking just because of the emotional lift it could bring the team just by seeing him on the bench. But I simply can't expect that he's going to be anything close to the old Davies. If he is then it's an unexpected miracle.

12. braun

braun Red Card

Feb 22, 2001
    metro Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bedoya instead of Dempsey, Donovan, Holden, Feilhaber, Kljestan?

Effectively you are proposing a 4-5-1. Altidore and McBride before him could not pull the trigger as a sole striker. Remember BB has few cards under his sleeve and doesn't know how to change formations.

If Boca were slated to play LB I think BB would have tried him there more than once. Spector is the obvious heir to Hejduk at LB, whatever one thinks of Bornstein or Pearce. Dolo has not come this far to not be our RB vs the Czechs.

13. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well dempsey is currently injured, though should be back in time for this game

Donovan is clearly pushed up into the forward slot, given his formation

Holden is currently injured, and potentially might be available, though they call for 6 weeks, im assuming he will not be fit at that point.

Feilhaber is injured, though training i believe. I suspect if Feilhaber is available he'll play in the middle in this friendly

Kljestan?? really?? he should not even be considered in the WC roster...

Bedoya has shown quality, and i would like to get another look at him with the A-squad

14. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [LINEUP-4-4-2]
    Altidore Dempsey
    Donovan Edu Bradley Holden
    Boca Gooch Demerit Spector
    Howard
    [/LINEUP-4-4-2]

Altidore---Dempsey

Donovan--Edu---Bradley--Holden
    Boca--Gooch--Demerit---Specs
    Howard

15. JAVez1983

JAVez1983 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Tampa
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this line-up has been proposed in the past, but I really like it and feel it will give us our best chance against top teams or without a proven(int)/healthy 2nd forward, excluding Dempsey because I prefer him somewhere in the midfield anyways...

------------Howard------------

Dolo----Gooch---Boca----Specs

-------Edu/RC---Bradley--------

Donovan---Dempsey---Torres/DMB

-----------Altidore-------------

4-2-3-1

-Plenty of quality defense (our best defenders period)
    -Grit and peskiness in the deep Mid
    -Ball control, speed, experience, and goal scoring capabilities in the attack
    --and JFT and Donovan do a good job defending on the wings...

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    In Bob's preferred formation

------Altidore---Dempsey----
    Donovan---------------Holden
    ---------Edu-----Bradley----
    Bocanegra--Onyewu-Spector--Dolo
    -----------Howard---------------

1. No more Bornstein on the left. So it's Pearce or Boca. And I want to see what happens if we put Boca on the left, and move Spector to the middle. I'm not a DeMerit guy. So try Spector in the middle and Dolo on the right. I do worry about Boca playing there against England, though.....since on their right wing they'll have somebody like Lennon or Walcott. Serious speed mismatch. Who will the Czechs have on their right wing? Plasil? Maybe he's actually a left winger. Rosicky?

2. If Jones is healthy, we start him over Edu. He's got to prove to me that he can go at least 60 minutes. I think it's self-evident that if Jones isn't healthy enough to play in the "send-off series" then he's not going to the World Cup. The guy hasn't played in almost a full year now. We have to see.........something........before we put him on our roster.

3. I'm assuming Dempsey, Holden, and Gooch are back for this game. And if they are.......I want to see where they're at. So start 'em.

4. I'm assuming that we release our roster/alternates prior to these "send-off series" games. So we're not going to see any fringe players at all.

17. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OP asks for "your" lineup, so here is my total over-the-top wish:

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Altidore,Dempsey,Donovan, Edu, Bradley, JONES!!!,Spector,Onyewu,Goodson,Cherundolo,Howard[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

And then to blow the roof of of BS, Davies comes on as a 2nd half sub.

Why Jones at RM? It's my personal wild card. A fast, assertive, experienced, skilled player like Jones should be able to handle RM just fine, especially the way the US plays R/L mids. And it gives Holden more time to heal and gets Edu into the XI. That front 6 would be seriously concerning to any opponent we face.

Plus, I want to see Spector at LB and see Goodson with the first XI for a change.

18. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming projected time tables/majority assumptions about injuries are correct:

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Deuce,Jozy,DMB,Bradley,Edu,Donovan,Boca,Gooch,Jay,Dolo,Timmy[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

2nd half:

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Ching,Jozy,Donovan,Bradley,Benny,Dempsey,Spector,Gooch,Jay,Dolo,Timmy[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

19. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like it. Manages to put our best talent on the field at once. Afterall, our depth is in midfield. Plus, it moves Dempsey from a position where his giveaways leave our right defender in a one v. one situation, to a positin where his giveaways are covered by two layers of defense.

Below is my 4-2-3-1 formation for the Czech match

Howard
    Specs---Gooch---Demerit---Boca
    Edu---Bradley
    Holden---Dempsey---Donovan
    Altidore

20. JAVez1983

JAVez1983 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Tampa
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks...I use this (mine, not yours) formation on FIFA10 with very good results against the top teams...and I don't even own the game (or system) I just borrow it sometimes...

And you're right, this does cover our weaknesses and lets every player on the pitch be who they are...speedy-on the wings, creative-in front of goal, hardnose-protecting the backline...

Real Madrid are using this formation right now against Lyon.........NOW, we ain't no Real, but....
    Kaka(CAM)-Dempsey could be compared to him in style...
    Ronaldo(LAM)-I prefer LD on right, JFT left...and LD uses his speed as does Ronaldo and is just as important to the team...
    Granero (RAM)-technical player, like Torres...
    Ramos(RB)-Dolo, technical back who can get forward...
    Guti & Diarra(DMs)-dont know as much about them, but at least we got the racial part right :D

The major difference is in Forward, Jozy and Higuain are not that similar...

21. JPA3:16

JPA3:16 New Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [LINEUP-4-4-2] Altidore, Dempsey, Donovan, Bradley, Edu, Beasley, Bocanegra, Onyewu, DeMerit, Spector, Howard[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

:D This could be fantastic if everyone's healthy

[LINEUP-4-3-3]Donovan, Altidore, Dempsey, Bradley, Clark, Feilhaber, Bocanegra, Onyewu, DeMerit, Spector, Guzan[/LINEUP-4-3-3]

Maybe something different for example....

22. Michel_Platini

Mar 21, 2005
    Mostly agree with everything posted on the thread.

But really, we must have Fro Adu in addition to Freddy Adu. I mean, Fro is Freddy's brother. I can't believe he has never gotten a start for the USMNT.

Fire Bob Bradley.

Just kidding.

I would really like to see Bedoya get a start to see how he does from the opening whistle.

23. JPA3:16

JPA3:16 New Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does deserves Bedoya a spot at the WC Roster and in the Starting XI?
    Well yes he does, but IMO 15-18 players deserves a spot at the Starting XI!!!

That's the sad thing we only can let XI players to give the honor to play in the first XI!!!! Let see what's happen at June 12th!

But I also don't care who is playing in the first XI!!!!
    Just the XI are be able to beat (TO BEAT!) England/Slovenia/Algeria and the team in the round of 16 and ofcourse the team of the Quarterfinal and it goes on and on :D!!!!

I gotta good feeling for that because 2 times in a row, it can't be a another disappointment! I hope I don't be wrong at that!!! :eek: