Your Ideal England XI and Formation

Discussion in 'England' started by KumarsS, Jul 15, 2007.

1. KumarsS

KumarsS Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Champaign, IL
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm a Germany supporter but if they aren't playing my next favorite is England, and I know my stuff about England football and the EPL. I'm curious to see what England supporters list as their ideal XI, especially when the team has such a wealth of talent but consistently underperforms. So, suppose McClaren got the boot (yay) and you were manager, what players would you start and how would you play them?

Here's mine, with Carragher's retirement in mind:

---------------------FOSTER----------------------
    ---------------TERRY--------KING-----------------
    -RICHARDS--------------------------------A. COLE-
    -------------------HARGREAVES-------------------
    -BECKHAM---------------------------------J. COLE-
    ---------------------GERRARD---------------------
    ------------OWEN---------------ROONEY----------

Subs: Carson, Woodgate, Shorey, Lennon, Lampard, Bent

2. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's a good lineup and formation. I am a firm believer in the diamond 4-4-2.

I would go with this lineup..

----------------------Robinson--------------------------

Neville-------Ferdinand----------Terry----------Ashley C.

---------------------Hargreaves-----------------------

Becks/Lennon--------------------------------J. Cole

---------------------Gerrard--------------------

---------------------Rooney

-------------------------Owen

Bench: Foster, Carson, Richards, King, Bridge, Lampard, Lennon or Beckham,
    Carrick, S.W.P., Defoe, Crouch, Ashton

3. KumarsS

KumarsS Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Champaign, IL
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I only did six subs but if I had done more, Bridge, Carrick and Crouch would definitely be on there. I'm also a huge fan of the 4-4-2, I follow Chelsea and my dream is for us to play a 4-4-2 diamond midfield. Doesn't look like it will happen this year, though.

4. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Have you not heard of Gary Neville?

5. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    It all depends on whether you want a limited Rooney instructed to play as a striker or Rooney at his best and allowed to roam. If it is the latter then these formation allowing Gerrard to run directly into Rooney are not advisable.

6. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Rooney has ample freedom to roam when he is played as the support striker, with a smart, quick, disciplined striker in front of him, Michael Owen. The problem is the personnel played in midfield. I.E., having a Carrick, Lampard, and Downing played in the midfield for example. The lineup I suggested is formidable..

7. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    -----------------------B FOSTER--------------------------------

NEVILLE---------TERRY--------FERDINAND-------BAINES

BECKHAM------GERRARD-------NOLAN----------J COLE

--------------ROONEY---------------------------------

-----------------------------OWEN

Subs ROBINSON, RICHARDS, COLE, KING, MILNER, WALCOTT, CROUCH, BENT, CARRICK

8. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ----------------Robinson------------------

G Nev-----Ferdinand-----Terry-----A. Cole-

--Gerrard-------Hargreaves--------J.Cole---

----------------Rooney--------------------

--------Crouch-----------Owen------------

9. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    It's all well and good writing that on a forum but on the pitch one of the problems has been the central midfield pushing forward into the area Rooney drops back into. Removing Lampard takes away one of the problems but granting Gerrard the freedom to push forward behind the strikers just creates another. Gerrard needs to be used deeper and instructed to not simply run into Rooney all game long. The problem is further amplified when the opposition sits back and allows the entire English side to push forward and sit outside of the box.

10. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's the best lineup for me at the moment, Lennon subbing on for Becks providing Becks keeps his form up and stays disciplined on the right.

Although the problem is if Owen has declined too much or breaks down again, then I would put either Ashton or Bent in depending on whether we need pace or someone to hold the ball up. This is providing Ashton proves his fitness and Bent takes another step forward as a player.

Gerrard linking up with Rooney and having the freedom to overlap is very enticing. The comment about running into Rooney is a silly and simplistic one, basic communication takes care of that and they are both fully capable of that.

11. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I believe Owen is going to continue to improve. He is not going to be as fast as he once was imo, but still plenty quick enough to pose problems, and the key factor is that he knows how to play the position best, and he takes a lot of heat off of Rooney..

12. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    If it is either silly or simplistic then why does it continually happen on the pitch?

13. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It doesn't, as exaggerated as you make it look...How many times lately have you seen Gerrard and Rooney have a chance to link up minus the presence of Lampard?

Answer: They haven't had many opportunities have they..

14. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Gerrard does it when he plays centrally (with or without Lampard) and when he cuts inside from the right-wing. As I said previously, removing Lampard only removes part of the problem. Gerrard needs to show more tactical discipline and be smarter. At Liverpool he is expected to get behind the striker and that is fine for them but it simply does not work for England. He needs to adjust his game to suit.

15. KumarsS

KumarsS Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Champaign, IL
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't think he's that good anymore. I like Richards a lot better at this point and as he's probably Neville's immediate successor I would find it logical to give him as much time in the international spotlight as possible before he gets put into a tight situation upon Neville's retirement or umpteenth injury, because he will continue to get injured more and more as he approaches retirement.

Also, as a general reply, I think allowing Gerrard as the attacking mid and Rooney as the support striker to overlap is an excellent idea, I should have shown that in my formation.

16. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I like Richards too. He is the new prototypical style of player in that position. Athletic, powerful, fast, and skillful defending. He is the successor to Neville, that's a no-brainer, but not quite ready to start ahead of a healthy Neville, imo..

17. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    He's a good year or two off replacing Neville, and that is assuming he stays as a right back. His distribution is still not good enough to start regularly at international level.

18. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree, that's what I was trying to explain to the poster that started this thread.

19. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My personal belief in England players is that they don't generaly play well unless they are in a 4-4-2, but there has to be a certain amount of discipline with this as well. A 4-3-3 is possible but only if you play two holding midfielders and this leave you short in attack.

If we played a 4-4-2 then I'd go with:

Robinson - still our best keeper although Foster is putting the pressue on.
    Neville - still the most experienced player in the squad and the best fullback available.

Ferdinand - not the most consistant perhaps but alongside Terry's lack of pace, he's the best option. Has experience and strength

Terry - the best pure defender we have, no questions.

A Cole - attacking fullback whi is committed and better than the rest.

J Cole - one of our only genuinely consistantly creative players. Can cause havoc and has an eye for goal.

Hargreaves - defensive midfielder has proven is worth for Bayern and just moved to the EPL. Has to be in in place of Lampard.

Gerrard - Do I have to explain this? He's a morecomplete player than Lampard and his drive and determination is vital.

Lennon - creatve wingers are vital and Lennon is one of them. Faster than Beckham he can beat most fullbacks and his crossing is top notch. Has an eye for goal.

Rooney - Needs to be played upfront and receive some decent service. Along with the rest of Englands strikers he has been the victim of some shocking midfield possession play of late which has resulted in chances seldom coming his way.

Owen - Obviously not fit but is just ahead of Johnson and Defoe in terms of both experience and ability to find the net. Ashton can push him as can Crouch.

With this formation you need flexability. Allow Cole and Lennon to push right up when in possession and also allow Gerrard to support the attackers. However, discipline is also needed esecially from Gerrard who has to get back and help out when the sh"t hits the fan. Also, Cole and Lennon need to protect their fullbacks in times of need. Use of possession is vital to any team and formation though......

20. User Name

User Name New Member

Jun 8, 2007
    England
    Rigid 4-4-2 and rigid formations are obsolete now, the best attacking teams are all about fluidity now. I dont know if England has the sort of players to do this but I would like to see a manager try.

Richards------Ferdinand------Terry--------Bridge

---------------Hargreaves---Carrick------------

--------------------Gerrard--------------------

---------Rooney-----Owen-------J.Cole---------

Basically everyone infront of Hargreaves and Carrick can move about wherever they want. With Gerrard offering the 'drive'.

I dont know if Owen is technical enough, or dynamic enough anymore, he is the best we got.

21. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Not quite. Italy won the last World Cup playing a basic 4-4-2, with two narrow wide players and one slightly withdrawn forward. Very similar to England playing with Beckham and Cole on the wings and Rooney as a second striker.

22. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    Robinson - bit iffy of late, but ahead of Carson, who I like and Green, who is coming along nicely - Foster shone in a shat side......

Neville - love him or hate him, he is streets ahead of the rest if fit

Rio - old fish face is the best distributing central defender, Ledley will push him when fit!

Terry - best defender we have bar none, even if he is a cvnt..........

A Hole - Cashley is a better player than people give him credit for, because it's easy to dislike him, no other reason - I saw Baines mentioned somewhere, have you actually seen this wanker play, fcukin brutal?

Stevie - best player in the side, but leaves it all behind somewhere, fcuk nose where? If only he could recreate club form at national level, we'd be invincible!

Hargroves - him or Carrick can fill the holding role, although the former has a lot more passion to play.

Fat Frank - get used to it he will play................

Lennon - I prefer him to Cole J, who spends too much time out of the game, although I expect McSven to pick Jo ahead of Lennon....

Looney - gotta play him as he has all the ticks in the boxes, just needs to turn up with his top-box right!

Crouchino - probably my first choice up front at the moment, although I prefer him as the supersub - I can never see Mikey regaining his momentum, I would love for it to happen, I just can't see it..........:(

23. KumarsS

KumarsS Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Champaign, IL
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No Joe Cole? You're playing with three center mids and a right-winger here. If you're advocating the use of Lennon on the left, I'd like to remind you of a couple games England played this spring that didn't go so well, for Lennon or anybody. Cole is the only one in England's attack force who is consistently dangerous and inventive, plus he's getting better every time he puts on an England shirt. Gerrard is fantastic, but I haven't seen him really replicate for England the total dominance he shows as a midfield general for Liverpool.

24. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    teso remember?

............................robo/foster

g nev...........terry...................rio.............bridge

..........................carrick