Your England Lineup

Discussion in 'England' started by Koby7STAR, Aug 29, 2007.

1. B Rock

B Rock Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Problem is its not a 4-4-2 in your post, its a 4-4-1-1, which has basically been the problem for England from the get go in games where England has struggled.

Owen has shown time and time again that he works best running off someone who can win the ball in the air next to him at forward. It was true at Liverpool (Heskey/Fowler) and will prove true with Newcastle as the season progresses (Viduka).

You can play Rooney, but he sure as hell better deliver as you are significantly limiting Owen's effectiveness by playing him as the advanced striker rather then having someone playing just ahead of him who can win balls and either flick them into his path or lay them off to him.

If you insist on fielding Rooney I'd rather see something like this:

---------------Robinson--------------------

Richards-----Rio--------Terry-------Cole

----------------Hargreaves------------------
    Gerrard----------------------Barry
    ----------------Rooney-------------
    --------Owen------------Target-----------

I know it will never happen, but someday an England manager is going to have to realize that there is more to the game then simply putting your best 11 players on the field and letting them have a go.

I'd think a three man midfield of Gerrard, Hargreaves, and Barry would allow Rooney to unshackle enough to pretty much have a free role behind the strikers. Gerrard and Barry would also provide strong distribution in the midfield and Hargreaves could be sacrificed for Carrick (sigh Teso) when playing a weaker opposition where Hargreaves' dogged destroyer mentality wouldn't be as necessary.

2. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The way I listed it is as a diamond 4-4-2..Being that Heskey is out for awhile, Rooney can more than handle the job. Rooney is always going to play behind Owen in a 4-4-2, as he tends to roam the pitch and try to create, therefore I have him listed as just behind Owen, but make no mistake about it, it's a diamond 4-4-2 formation, one I think is best for England.. The problem is that Rooney has had rare opportunities over the last few years to play with a full lineup that included Owen, and others, whether it be due to injuries, suspensions, etc..

3. adidasfreak21

adidasfreak21 New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Florida
    How come David Beckham isn't in the line up?

4. adidasfreak21

adidasfreak21 New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Florida
    I thought ryan giggs was English

5. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ryan Giggs played for Wales... He has recently retired from International competition, fyi...

6. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ......................whoever

neville............terry........rio............bridge

.........................carrick/barry

........gerrard............................hargreaves

..........................rooney

...............owen.............heskey/crouch/bent/ashton

7. bk4realyall

bk4realyall New Member

Jun 13, 2007
    When will lampard return?
    Personally, I don't think the back 4 is really arguable...
    I'm also not a big fan of Rooney. I think he would be better suited as a substitute around 60-70 minutes for Owen. I think Rooney needs a target man like Owen does, however the targets role would be different: Rooney needs a target to pass the ball to in the air or to finish. Owen's need is for the targetman to put balls behind the defense for Owen to run onto and create chances (ie. his second goal against Russia)

-Richards---Rio--Terry---A.Cole-
    -------------Barry-------------
    -SWP------------------Gerrard-
    -------Hargreaves/Lampard-----
    -------Owen------Crouch------

8. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    2 bad Freddy ADU wasent english hes the best U-21 in the world by far and hes only 18 lucky americans

9. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I see your viewing of the sport has been sheltered...

10. bk4realyall

bk4realyall New Member

Jun 13, 2007
    interesting point....

is the galaxy now the best club in the world too?

11. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

Cesc Fabregas for one is light years better than Freddy Adu.

12. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    freddy adu best in the world? what about messi, cesc and the like?

13. bk4realyall

bk4realyall New Member

Jun 13, 2007
    I doubt that #1 feilhaber adu chap will be back. A statement as dumb as that usually is followed by hiding his head in a hole. I doubt adu is even the best u21 on the US team.
    I'm waiting for him to return to say feilhaber is the best in the EPL.

would it be wrong to neg. rep. him for being absolutely stupid?

14. Koby7STAR

Koby7STAR Member

Feb 16, 2007
    England
    it is someones opinion and as bigsoccer would say........

it has to be trolling or offensive:)

15. B Rock

B Rock Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Well, Owen's nagging injury and Newcastle's apparent willingness to push him towards surgery (and why not, it solves the Martin/Owens issue if he elects) certainly could give this thread a different shape.

Are we doomed to the Crouch/Rooney partnership?

16. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The surgery I heard that they were considering is a 2 to 3 week loss. Not a worry at the moment.

17. Shortbloke39

Shortbloke39 New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Copenhagen DK
    hahahahahahaha..... benfica paid what for him?? 60 bucks wasn't it? If he is a good as you say he is how come he's only scored like 12 goals in 4 yrs? I watched him play v FC Copenhagen... and he was shite! Best U21 in the world by far.... have you ever tried visiting the planet earth??

18. Shortbloke39

Shortbloke39 New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Copenhagen DK
    You cant neg rep someone for forgetting to take their medication or for being a retard :)

19. FCSF

FCSF Member

Apr 27, 2006
    SF, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    A lot of us here in US saw Freddy Adu and Jozy Altidore shine in the U-20 World Cup this summer. Best anything for either of them is a stretch but they did mange to beat Brazil 2-1 so I can see where the uninformed might have started talking.

20. Koby7STAR

Koby7STAR Member

Feb 16, 2007
    England
    i say play heskey and johnson upfront for the meanwhile

21. bk4realyall

bk4realyall New Member

Jun 13, 2007
    that is most unforunate :(

heskey's injured, mate.

22. jimxdfa

jimxdfa New Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    just curious but do any of you think that if owen cant go for the next 2 qualifiers that trying rooney and bent up front could work? at least give bent the start against estonia and see if it works. if not then go with someone else against russia. i just feel that bent hasnt been given the chance that he deserves based on his club and U-age form the past few years. i'm not saying he is the answer if everyone is healthy, but when there are injuries like this i think he could fill in well enough.

23. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Bent - Rooney is the way I'd go especially against Estonia. With Owen and Hesky out, think I'd bring Ashton into the squad as well

24. Koby7STAR

Koby7STAR Member

Feb 16, 2007
    England
    i feel that bent might need one game to get going then he will be cofident for the next one

25. Cacabolsa

Cacabolsa New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    London
    Bent isn't rated by McLaren, he'll never get a chance supposidly under Sven it was Mclaren who reported that he hadn't done enough to warrant inclusion in even freindly matches before last world cup. He never got his chance then he'll not get his chance now.

Problem with England is there are too many big name players who don't perform together, Lampard and Gerrard in middle Rooney and Owen upfront Rio at the back etc etc. Time is right to say to players like Gareth Barry that they have the shirt for next 5/6 games it's upto Hargreaves/Lampard etc to win it back. Likewise if Crouch/Heskey perform well why does Rooney walk back into team, he has more talent in his little toe thean either of them but he needs to realise that he has to perform.

My team

GK Robinson

RB Richards
    CB Ferdinand
    CB Terry
    LB Arsehole...oops sorry Cashley Cole

RM Wright-Phillips (sorry Becks shouldn't have gone to US)
    CM Barry
    CM Gerrard
    LM J Cole

CF (Owen if he was fit) Johnson/Rooney
    CF (Heskey if he was fit) Crouch

bench James,Neville,Lampard ....

Unless Rooney has a massive upturn in goalscoring form in next month put him on bench versus Estonia likewise Lampard. If we had had a freindly match to try out new things i'd have liked to see Joe Cole given a freer role with perhaps Barry palying on left. You have to go with positives from Russia/Israel and that was Barrys performance alongside those of Heskey and Richards.