Your England Lineup

Discussion in 'England' started by Koby7STAR, Aug 29, 2007.

1. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    the way I saw it, england's recent lineups showed signs of being able to keep the ball in a constructive way - to score goals and control tempo.

but it was only signs.

so i included more players with good touch and vision.

2. FCSF

FCSF Member

Apr 27, 2006
    SF, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    ----------------James---------------
    Micah------Rio ------Terry--------A. Cole
    SWP-------Barry----Gerrard-------A.Young
    ------Croutch------------Rooney

Im leaving Owen out simply because he does not impress on a week in week out basis at club level. Also Rooney has stated in couple interviews that he likes or would like to play with Croutch. There is no way we can leave a fit, scoring Rooney out of an England side so lets just admit he is the future of England strikers and trying playing someone who fits his game but still has experience at the International level.

Joe Cole take a seat as we should not ignore one of England's brightest young stars who is performing week in and week out at a high level. Young provides speed and accurate crossing where as Joe is more likely to try to cut in and take the ball into the box reallying out Ashley to cover him. I think we need to see a bit more width and wing play on the left so give Young a shot.

3. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    Robbo - for now, until he loses his place at Spuds, he's the best of a bad lot, although I would expect Carson or Foster to challenge him in the long term.

Micah - shows promise and would be awfully disgruntled to be replaced by Mong G, as and when he is fit again.

Rio - I don't like him, but he's OK, there ain't much better out there.

JT - going through a torrid time with form and injuries, been rushed back too quick, but at his best, the best.

Arsehole Cole - another one I haven't got much time for, but he is a decent player, better than all the other LBs.

Stevie - if only this man played with the passion he does for Liverpoo, we wouldn't go far wrong.

Hargroves - ex Canadian, behind the MF and in front of the back four

SuperFrank - fat cvnt, but still far too good to leave out - on his way back.

Joey - wanker, misfit, mong, spaz, but still has that little bit extra, when it counts.

Looney - frustrating retard, but has something special.

Mikey - golden touch, lucky fcuker, goal hanging twat, playing for a shat side, but always delivers when it counts.

Pretenders - Bridge, Downing, SWP, Lennon, Mong G, Crutch, Barry, Bruno, Bentley, Brown, Agbonthewhore, Ledley, Walnut et al......................

4. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Different lineup for each opposition.

thread/

5. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Er.... so you're saying you like them... right? :D

6. SacUnitedSoccerBlog

SacUnitedSoccerBlog New Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah, my theory is that you have got some of the best talent in the world, it's just been underacheiving a bit. Do you think it's coaching, club interference, or poor form?

7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There's no question that we, like most sides to be fair, do a lot better under a good coach. When we had Hoddle and Venables we got to the semis in the WC and EC which isn't too bad for us. I think most people accept that we're probably not likely to win things because, frankly, you need a bit of luck and everyone else is entitled to their share as well.

The other thing we're not very good at is, for want of a better word, 'gamesmanship'. Although we do have some fellas who can dive we're just not very good at it. Likewise, all that elbowing and grabbing on set-pieces that some southern europe and south-american teams do is pretty alien to the English. I'm not saying we don't do it. I'm saying we can't do it and get way with like they do because we just don't get the practice.

TBH I suspect that most English supporters would rather keep a certain amount of dignity and lose than win by that sort of thing so maybe it's for the best.

Note, I'm talking about games at the top level. That's not been the problem of late where we've just played badly, partly because our coach isn't up to the job and partly because the players themselves just haven't performed.

8. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We really haven't played that badly lately. We controlled the game in Russia. If not for a 5-10 minute lapse in defense, and a ping-pong table for a pitch to play on, we would have beaten Russia.

That said, Macca still needs to go.

9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, OK. I suppose I meant over the qualifying campaign as a whole we haven't performed consistently well. We've also played quite well in a couple of friendlies against 2 teams that are undoubtedly among the best in terms of a winning history, Brazil and Germany.

Regarding Macca, I'm still clinging to the hope that the fellas themselves will manage to perform decently almost despite him. That's what it means to be an England supporter... an eternal optimist. :)

10. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You're preaching to the choir....:)

11. bk4realyall

bk4realyall New Member

Jun 13, 2007
    When it comes to putting sides together, England is one of the hardest. I believe this because there is so much talent in England, yet everyone's talent does not always compliment others on the team. It's like putting together a 3-D puzzle of the sky.
    "This guy plays well at club level and performs at his best when this guy is on the field, but fellow 1 does not always get along with the man playing at right back, and the striker plays better with this other striker but someone else has a problem performing with both of them."
    For some sides, it's as simple as sticking on the most talented 11, but England's team requires more thought than that. It's most certainly not a bad thing. England can come out with many different looks because of this diversity in talent.

12. ArtVandelayLFC

ArtVandelayLFC New Member

Jul 30, 2007
    England did not control the game in Russia in any way. If you want to blame England's performance on the condition of the pitch then go ahead (although I think that's a bit of a cop-out), but please don't try and claim England controlled the game or deserved the win more than Russia, because they didn't.

13. white riot

white riot Member+

England
    Apr 27, 2005
    Southampton, England
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Who care's what you think? We were robbed, plastic pitch and a dodgy penalty, it was Rotterdam all over again.

14. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Just needed McLaren telling the linesman " Your mate has just cost me my job"

15. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Lol. After all these years I find that clip of Graham quite endearing (as well as hilarious).

16. ArtVandelayLFC

ArtVandelayLFC New Member

Jul 30, 2007
    First of all, Rooney's goal not being disallowed for him being offside was just as dodgy a decision as the penalty Rooney gave up.

Secondly, the original contention that I was responding to was that England controlled the game in Russia, which they clearly did not. England simply could not keep possession nearly as well as Russia did (Russia had almost exactly 2/3 of the ball), and even though the shots on target and on goal for both teams were pretty much equal, overall Russia were asking the majority of the questions.

As far as the pitch is concerned, Russia didn't do anything outside of the rules. According to UEFA synthetic pitches made of FieldTurf, like the one in Russia, are acceptable, so that's that. Besides, how exactly did playing on a wet synthetic pitch hurt England? I'm guessing you'd say that it hindered the crisp short passing game England's been so famous for in recent years :)rolleyes:), and it reduced the game to each team hoofing the ball forward at every opportunity, a tactic Russia likes to employ but a side as talented as England is above using (again :rolleyes:).

17. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Are you for real?

Where are you from again?

18. white riot

white riot Member+

England
    Apr 27, 2005
    Southampton, England
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm a metre.

19. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You're clueless beyond all belief. Try watching the game next time before you post such nonsense..

England controlled the game in Russia. A 5 minute mental lapse in defense in the 2nd half, a dodgy penalty called against Rooney, and a poor excuse for a pitch, were the contributing factors in the loss. These are the facts of the game. The past is the past, and Russia won the game, but make no mistake about it, the reasons I posted are the main reasons for the loss.

20. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Rooney wasn't offside before he scored and later on he didn't foul the fella in the box so it wasn't a penalty. Actually, it probably wasn't even a free kick. It was a dreadful decision which probably cost us the game.

As to who did or did not control the game... who gives a toss. The game's about scoring goals, (as opposed to being given them as a free gift by the officials), and we scored the same amount of genuine goals they did so it should have been a draw.

Unfortunately the old Russkies know a thing or two about cheating. They fielded a player they weren't supposed to against the Welsh a few years ago and, as usual, the footballing authorities did sod all about it... probably because it didn't involve us carrying out some heinous act like having tickets with a blue tint or some such bullshit :rolleyes:

21. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    lol at blaming the russians

what about englands clueless long ball from poor positions to 2 midgets upfront, poor positioning by both full backs for most of the game, sitting way too deep and letting them come at us, gerrard spooning an effort wide from 6 yards out at 1-0 up

etc etc

england did not control the game 100% for periods they did but russia grabbed it by the neck in the second half and had much better possession and passing where we looked desperate

our 'wingers' were none existant and we basically let them come at us for most the second half

22. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think it's fair to blame the Russkies for having a plastic pitch and the footballing authorities for letting them get away with it. What's wrong with that? We didn't play too badly and a draw would have been a fair result over the 90 mins but that was denied because of the hopeless officiating.

What's your problem?

23. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    The ruskies didnt have a chance until that pen was given.
    The match clincher for them really.

In russia we missed having Heskey as an outlet.
    We werent able to bypass their 6 man midfield.
    would have been ideal on that horrific playing surface.

in an ideal world i wouldve picked..
    if everyone had been fit to play

.......heskey.........owen

..........rooney

barry......hargreaves.......cole

cole...rio......terry.......richards..

......robinson

24. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001

you cant really expect much from someone who contradicts their own statements in different threads of the same forum.

in this thread he is blaming the clueless tactics ,in this other thread (linked below) he says the tactics cant be blamed because there is nothing you can do about gerrard missing an easy chance...

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=620118

got about as much brain power as something that dropped out of the back of a donkeys arsehole.

25. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    hahaha

i said its not completely mclarens fault but there was still massive tactical naivity on the day

like playing 4 centre halves for instance and the defensive line being too deep

i said it was not mclarens fault gerrard diddnt put the game away