Your best NT player of 2004

Discussion in 'England' started by mad theory, Jan 7, 2005.

1. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    I was on the Chelski forum and they were all agreeing Lampard has been our best player.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160585

Is it me being bias or are they just plain ignorant?

Ok, so post your opinion on our best player from 2004. Forget club affiliations for a moment and think of who you think actually deserves this title.

2. Mikey10

Mikey10 Member

Sep 20, 2003
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ashley Cole. He had to put up with not being able to not form a consistant partnership with anyone who played on the left, yet still excelled. He was our best player during Euro 2004 as well for me. He was stuck out on the left of the defence, without protection, and he still defended amazingly.

3. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    Exactly, Cole has been brilliant for the NT. And who would pick Lampard over him on NT performances?

Oh yeah.....Chelsea fans :rolleyes:

4. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005
    It must be more than Chelski fans who voted for Lamps. On the FA's website he is leading the poll for best player of 2004 (unless they all hijacked the website). For me it would be either Rooney or Lamps. Lampard was the most consistant player throughout 2004 but Rooney was the story of Euro 2004 for England. My vote goes to Rooney.

5. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Lampard scored a few goals in Euro 2004, good goals, but his performances throughout the year were never dominant enough to make him the best.

I would say it has to be Rooney first of course. Ashley Cole second.

6. Mikey10

Mikey10 Member

Sep 20, 2003
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I can't believe Sol has so few votes. He would be my second choice after Ash. He was amazing during the whole year for England and was an absolute rock. Yet players like Steven Gerrard - who is actually my favourite player - is 3rd in the poll, yet was no where near as good.

7. Internazionale23

Internazionale23 Red Card

Dec 8, 2004
    San Siro !!!
    Gerrard has been excellent for Liverpool though, yet he has yet to impress me in the NT!?

My vote goes to Ashley Cole.
    2nd probly Rooney or Sol.

8. Mikey10

Mikey10 Member

Sep 20, 2003
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think this is only for NT games. How well you play for your club doesn't come in to it I don't think, so I never took Stevie's Liverpool performances in to consideration.

9. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Rooney, plain and simple. Lampard was better this year than he has been in the past though.

10. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne

Bingo. In fact I'd probably choose Campbell over Cole, although not by much.

11. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

my thoughts exactly

lampard, cole & roonaldo runners up

12. King Rooney

King Rooney New Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Leicester
    apart from joaquin i have never seen anyone get past cole to good effect for england.

so either cole or rooney but i think without rooney we would have failed miserably at euro 2004 whereas without cole we would have survived imo.

13. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Cole, Lampard and Rooney for England in 2004

14. Owen4ever

Owen4ever New Member

Jan 8, 2005
    Calgary AB
    cole and rooney

15. Pazarius

Pazarius New Member

Jan 10, 2004
    England
    1) Cole
    2) Rooney
    3) Campbell
    4) G. Neville

Once we get a good number of nominations, someone should create a new thread with a proper poll.

16. Milos

Milos Member+

Sep 6, 2003
    Iacon
    Club:
    Coventry City FC
    1.Rooney
    2.Cole
    3.Campbell

17. Revelian

Revelian Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Midgar
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    1) Rooney
    2) Lampard
    3) Cole

Rooney brought goosebumps to the back of my neck. The last time this happened, the player was Paul Gascoigne.

Lampard was consistent and impressive. In my opinion, he was the player who had improved the most. I remember his debut contre Australia, and I never wanted him to wear an England shirt again. 2004 has been a good year for him.

Cole.....well there's not much I can say about Cole that has not been said already in this thread. He was solid all year round, and is already being touted as one of the world's best left-backs. I'm happy for him.

I was disappointed with Beckham this year. Perhaps I'm being lenient with this one, but I'm putting it down to the fact that he was played out of position all season long for Royal Madrid.

The worst player, of course, was Phil Neville. Never before has a great stinking pile of putrid sh!te graced the world stage with such lack of skill. The Rui Costa goal clinched it for me. I remember the Portugal match like yesterday. When Sven decided to bring Neville on, I remember banging my fist against the ground several times in anger. How much does Sven get paid? Too much, in my opinion, if he is stupid enough to have P-Nev in his squad.

Revelian

18. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Gerrard was excellent for England in qualifying. In Euro 2004 he was played out of position...whether it was on the left side of mid field or as a holding midfielder. Besides the goal he gifted to Henry, he had a pretty good tournament.

I would agree that Cole probably had the best year for England.

19. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    no, our whole midfield was disgraceful, not what we expected from our best players.

20. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think that mostly comes down to Sven. Of their 4 midfielders, only Lampard played in his preferred position. Beckham no longer wants to play on the right, Gerrard is not a holding midfielder, and Scholes was useless on the left.

Young wide players like Wright Phillips and Downing are the future of England.

21. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    i hope sven leaves soon, preferrably after the holland loss. i just don't want to see him ruin their international careers too. :rolleyes:

22. Revelian

Revelian Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Midgar
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I am in total agreement with you. Against Portugal and France, the midfield did nothing but give the ball away.

Revelian

23. ERIMUS

ERIMUS Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Teesside
    Club:
    Middlesbrough FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Lampard.

24. Revelian

Revelian Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Midgar
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Our biggest problem in Euro 2004, apart from everyone being knackered and played out of position, was that the defence kept trying the dribble the ball out to the midfield, whilst the midfield kept trying to clear the ball (boot it) to the strikers.

Revelian