Your 5 greatest memories as a Brasil fan

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Century's Best, Oct 3, 2008.

1. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Terrain

Terrain Member

Feb 6, 2007
    The first football game I ever saw was Brazil vs. France back in the 1998 WC. My family and a few friends were watching it, so I decided to join in, but I was too young and uninterested in sports to care about the outcome. Since then, I didn't watch a single football game (not even the 2002 WC) until the 2006 WC, which was when I became seriously interested in the NT.

So, you know, I don't have many fond memories...

1. Brazil vs. Germany (2008 Olympics)*
    2. Kaka vs. Argentina
    3. Kaka and Ronaldinho working wonderfully as a team against Ecuador in a 2006 friendly.
    4. Brazil vs. Mexico in a 2007 friendly – our best performance since the 2006 WC.
    5. 2007 Copa America Final – I actually didn't really like this match. Too foul-ridden, and it gave people the wrong impression about Dunga.

* The women's team > the men's team. Watching them play in the Olympics was one of the few moments where I actually felt proud to call myself a fan of Brazilian football. Unfortunately, the CBF doesn't give a damn about women's sports (like most of the world), so I'm stuck with the lame and embarrassing men's team.

3. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    5- The 1988 Olympics in Seul, the wins against Argentina with Giovanni scoring. And Taffarell defending 3 PKs against Germany in the semis, the debut of Romario Bebeto, etc. I remember waking up early in the morning to watch the games. I was 9 a the time and soccer is more fun when you're young and inocent.

4- Mexico 86 - First WC I've watched live. Just great memories overall, the games against Poland and Northern Ireland especially. Remember my parents took me for a ride at Ave Beira Mar in Florianopolis, everybody in traffic carrying flags and honking horns.

3- Brasil 6 Bolivia 0, 1993 qualifiers - Brazil had lost 0-2 in La Paz and I was really scared we wouldn't make it to the WC finals. The payback in Sao Paulo was sweet, and brought our confidence back.

2- Tetra in 1994 - It was awesome to see Brasil win a WC live for the first time. Although I remember intense suffering in all of the games, both as a Brasilian fan and a soccer fan. That douchebag Parreira...

1- Penta in 2002 - Is it blasphemy to put the Penta above the Tetra in importance? Dunno but 2002 felt like it had a more appropriate ending beating Germany inside the 90mins. Winning the Cup without winning the final in 1994 felt weird. Ronaldo coming back to score twice in the final, after what happened to him in the previous WC final, was all good fun.

4. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    other memorable moments, the unforgettable Copa America 89 with Lazaroni.

Also qualifying match in 1993 against Uruguay in Maracana, and all the drama sorrounding Romario's call in the last match. Good times.

My worst selecao moment of all time also deserves to be mentioned. It was in a school trip to Sao Paulo, and our flight back home was booked exactly at the time Brasil vs Argentina was happening for the 1990 WC! As we got off the plane and made it through the gate, I hear my school principal screaming: "I think somebody just scored!" then I rushed to one of the airport TVs and see Canningia celebrating. 5 more mins, Muller misses a goal and the game is over.

I cryed that day, ******** my school for booking the flight at the time of that game, and may VARIG also rot in hell lol

5. Linassis

Linassis New Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well, nice memory, just let me correct the match venue. It was actually in Recife (Arruda Stadium), the city later became one of the destinations for people welcoming back the team after Tetra. There was even a sign saying: "Brazil 6-0 Bolivia: The journey to the Tetra started here". :D

Cheers!

@topic: Here's my 2 cents.

Best:
    01. WC Wins at 94 & 02.
    02. All winnings on Argentina (Qualifiers '09, CA 2007, CC 2005)
    03. Haiti 2004, as someone mentioned - Journeying to where another NT has never been...
    04. Brazil-Iceland - March 2002 - all the atmosphere! The friendly was in Cuiabá, my homeland.
    05. Brazil-Netherlands in 94 & 98

Worst:
    01. Defeat to Cameroon in Sydney 2000, even though Cameroon was down to nine due to 2 red cards. Ouch, what a shame.
    02. Honduras CA 2001 elimination. Who knew at that time that we would conquer the Penta roughly one year later.
    03. 0-1 defeat to Japan, debut of Atlanta-96 Olympics (although I'm a Japanese descendant!!!). "Dida, this is Aldair; Aldair, this is Dida"...agh >___<
    04. 1999 CC defeat to Mexico.
    05. Elimination to France (again and again and again) in WC 06.

6. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    oh exactly, Recife was the one place that supported that team thru all the bad times we had at those eliminatorias.

@topic: Here's my 2 cents.

that was embarrasing, good thing I was so drunk that morning that it didn't matter. The only memory that stands out from that game is actually a good one. Ronaldinho's goal in the last minute off a free kick, me and like 10 pf my college friends jumped celebrating. That aside I remember sitting in front of the TV and not being able to tell what was happening. The benefits of the booze :D

7. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    1) 1994 World Cup Final -- I was there. Enough said.
    2) 2002 World Cup Final -- Ronaldo's first goal in particular. I was in Brasilia at the time and it was just amazing going to the Planalto and being there with the entire city celebrating.
    3) 2004 Copa America Final -- Everyone had written off Brazil against Argentina. They dominated the whole game. Delgado broke the tie in the 87th minute. Then the commentators on the Mexican station were very happy that Argentina had won. They were certain. Then came Diego's miracle hail mary pass to Adriano in the 3rd minute of injury time. The rest is history.
    4) 2000 Brasil - Argentia WCQ -- Morumbi. I was visiting Sao Paulo at the time and we were able to get tickets. This was before our qualification started going to crap. Luxa was coach. Vampeta scored 2 goals and we won 3-1.
    5) 2009 Brasil - Argentina WCQ -- I went to this newish Brazilian bar here in Brooklyn. The place was entirely packed and it was awesome. For whatever reason, I was at the bar sitting next to 3 Argentine fans. I have no idea why they had the audacity to watch the game at a Brazilian bar. And I wasn't going to let them get away with it that easily. I was already pretty annoyed just by all the **** talking that Maradona was doing. So the guy next to me was on the phone and he was going in and out. In once instance before the game, he was gone for like 15 minutes. I responded to him when he got back "Why were you gone so long? Did you go to church to pray?" HAHA. He wasn't particularly pleased -- like I care. The game was great as was the atmosphere. I didnt know there were places to watch the games here in NYC that could be so lively with Brazilians. Nevada Smith's is great, but it's just too hectic for me.

8. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    LOL. You did well. Some Argentines gave me trash talk when I went to see Argentina vs. USA w/ a Brazil shirt and I did absolutely nothing but mind my own business.

As for 2000 and 2004 (WCQ and Copa America), I shouted so loud I lost my voice. This didn't happen in 1994 or in 2002. Like Galvao says, é sempre muito bom ganhar da Argentina.

9. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    erm... guess I get to add England v Brazil friendly in Doha to my list.... so that's three times I've seen Brazil now...

Brazil 1-0 Sweden WC semifinal 1994 in Palo Alto
    Brazil 8-0 UAE friendly in Abu Dhabi 2005
    Brazil 1-0 England friendly in Qatar, 2009

Guess I could also count...
    USA 2-0 Brazil - woman's world cup semi final in 1999.

:)

10. ronaldinh010

ronaldinh010 New Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    1. Lost to Argentina WC 1990. First time I ever cried for sports. One of the saddest days of my life. I was 9. Watching Cannigia score that goal felt like forever.

2. Win against Argentina 1989 copa america. back-to-back sombreros by Romario, Bebeto's goal. Pure beauty. Only if we could bring back those days. Romario till I die.

3. Copa America 2004. Brazil v Argentina. Adriano goal. What a relief after being so thoroughly dominated and at the brink of defeat. Incredible

4. WC 2002 final

5. WC 1994. Brazil v Holland. Branco. Oh my. What a classic

I have to mention watching Rivaldo in WC 2002 was quite a treat. And I still don't know which foot Bebeto struck the ball with in 1989.
    And as someone mentioned, Romario v Uriguay 1993 WC qualifiers: like I said, Romario till I die, wake up, and die Again. Still Romario.

11. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That I saw live (on TV or at the stadium):

1. Jairzinho's goal against England in 1970 (TV)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn4Zgosq4cM"]YouTube- Copa 1970 - Gol Jairzinho - Brasil 1x0 Inglaterra[/ame][ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1TlbGmkz48"]YouTube- Copa 1970: Brasil 1x0 Inglaterra[/ame]2. Bebeto's goal against Maradona's Argentina in the 1989 Copa America semifinal (Maracanã stadium) - most spectacular goal I ever saw (live) at a football stadium
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbFGVjnwYYM"]YouTube- Copa América 1989: Brasil 2x0 Argentina[/ame]
    3. Eder's goal against USSR in 1982 (TV)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RB9ZeBvNXs"]YouTube- Ofutebol.com - Eder[/ame]
    4. Garrincha's 6th goal against Paraguay in 1962 (Maracanã stadium)
    5. All Pelé's goals at the São Paulo State championship
    (live TV Tupi transmissions) & some of the Rio-São Paulo Tournament of the late 50's/early 60's (Maracanã stadium)

There are many more that could fit in there but those were the 1st ones I remembered.:D

12. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    btw... I need to add one more... discovering the "most beautiful girls from Brazil" thread on Bigsoccer :)

13. old_carioca_in_nyc

Jan 26, 2007
    What a nice game and goal!!! I notice they still had the Geral section... When did they get rid of the Gerais in Maracana?:cool:

14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That's one of my best memories too ... Copa America 89. First time we won something in my lifetime. The Bebeto goal remains my favorite goal of all time. Romario's ball control and setup was sublime and Bebeto's shot simply magical. Add to that the fact that it was against Argentina with Maradona. The only "sad" part is that it wasn't the final.

And if Romario had scored that goal where he applied 2 chapeus in the Argertine defenders, I believe the fans would have invaded the pitch :D

15. StrokingMonkeys

Oct 4, 2009
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    I'm still pissed Lazaroni thought it was a good idea to use Careca and Muller in the following WC instead of re-reuniting Bebeto and Romario. True, Romario had injuries issues, but he was called up and even played a few minutes here and there in WC90.

Everyone knew there was a problem with that crew, but if Lazaroni would have done what Parreira later did, which is to cover the sh*t (everything behind the 2 strikers) with great tasting peanut butter and strawberry jam (just put Romario and Bebeto up front and ALL will be well with the universe), he would have gone far in that WC too.

That cup is still a fog to me.

Anyway, spilled milk.

My 5 top moments (be warned, some are not GOOD memories, more like "shocking" memories I can't ever forget):

1- Brasil vs Holland WC94. I was at the stadium and witnessed, to me atleast, the BEST game of that WC! Easily, my personal favorite Brasil moment of all time. Romario scoring? Check. Bebeto scoring? Check. Awesome baby rocking celebration? Check. Brasil winning 2-0, Holland makes it 2-2, Branco scores AWESOME GAME WINNING freekick? Check. Drama? Check. Banged this HOT chick (we didn't even understand wtf we were saying to eachother, Netherland chick that barely understood english) in her hotel room after the game? Check. Came back home to Canada DEAD BROKE? Check. Hmmmm, that last one was way too much information hehehe.

2- Brasil losing to Italy in WC82. More of a shock moment to me. Even DAYS after Brasil was out, I still, for some reason, expected FIFA to do something and reinstate Brasil back into the tournament :D It just made NO SENSE to me at the time that such a monster team didn't even make the final, let alone the semis. Blew my mind! The house was so silent too (and were atleast 30 people in there!)

3- Brasil losing on penalties to France in WC86. More precisely the pk MISS by Zico during regular time. My brain just shut down after that, cause you just felt that Brasil was done after that miss. When the pks finally came, Socrates decides to miss too. My world came to a crashing halt right there! I haven't forgiven Zico for around 10 years after that sh*t!

4- Brasil vs Argentina in Copa America 89. Me too, Bebeto blew my mind with his gol. I already was a big fan of both Romario and Bebeto before that, but mostly for their club exploits, but that game and even tournament to a certain extent, solidified my love for those 2. Back then, alot of people didn't believe in Bebeto (chicken legs style, too weak, etc), but like at Fla, he proved everyone WRONG. Hihihihiiiiii at Maradona getting nutmegged by Romario ow!

5- Brasil-Uruguay in qualifiers for WC94. Romario SAVES Brasil and Parreira's punk ass with those 2 gols!! MONSTER game for me!

Other games I was thinking to put into #5, was

- Brasil vs Argentina in Copa America 04. This team was NOT supposed to even make it THAT far. Somehow, Adriano just YET AGAIN (at the time), found a way to put the team on his back and willed his team to victory. Shout out to Diego for the hail mary pass.
    - Brasil-Denmark WC98. Very FUN game! Started with a BANG when Denmark sucker punched Brasil on an early freekick.
    - Brasil-USSR WC82 (GREAT GREAT GREAT gol by Eder!!).
    - Brasil-Germany 2002. That 2-0 could have been EASILY 4-0 in the first half ALONE if Kleb would have stop aiming at the gol posts and Ronaldo was more accurate. But more seriously, it was more about Ronaldo's redemption (after 98's fiasco and all the injuries) than the quality of that game/tournament.
    - Brasil-Australia 6-0 decomposition in Confed Cup 97 (Ronaldo AND Romario had each a hattrick). If that team could have stayed together and in form, the following WC98 was there's.
    - Brasil-Argentina in Confed Cup 05. Brasil simply dominated that game nicely to a 4-1 victory. Why couldn't Parreira keep THAT formula going for the next WC06?!?! Meh.
    - Brasil-Argentina in Copa America 99. Beto's stupidity almost cost Brasil in that one, but apart from that, WHAT A GAME!!!
    - Brasil-Venezuela in Copa America 99. Remember that sweet gol from that character called... oh what's his name again?... Oh yeah, Ronaldinho. The anouncer was LOSING it!! So was I. :D Too bad Ronaldinho didn't keep it up at Selecao level. Just flashes here and there nothing more :(
    - Brasil-Uruguay in qualifiers for WC2010. 4-0 against those guys is hard enough, but doing it IN Uruguay?!?! DAAAAAAAAAAMN!!! Definitely didn't see that one coming and then...
    - Brasil-Argentina in qualifiers for WC2010. Ok, beating Uruguay IN Uruguay was HUMONGOUS! Beating Argentina IN Argentina was of another universe! True, my mom would beat Argentina alone with that "character" Maradona as coach, so maybe that's not saying much, but still...

So many more moments!! There are some pretty sweet friendlies too (Brasil-Italy in Tournoi de France in 97 comes to mind or R.Carlos' freekick against France in that same "friendly" tournament), but they were just friendlies and would be hard to put up against more important tournaments.

16. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Great request. Brought back lots of memories. Here are mine but more than 5 are needed:

1970 WC Brasil 1 X England 0 : The first world cup ever broadcast on international satellite TV. The largest TV audience of all time. The game of the century. The game that changed my life. I was 13. The first time in my life I had seen the Brasilian national team play. The first time I watched my life long hero – Pele. Watched it at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago. Seven years after having been kidnapped by my father from Brasil to come the USA, this was the game that made my coracao Brasileiro eterno. This was the game that made me dream of one day going back to Brasil, and eventually I did (Sean Goldman take note).

1970 WC Brasil 4 X Italy 1 : First goal - Cross by Tostao, header goal by Pele. Again at the Aragon Ballroom. Third goal - header by Pele to Jarzinho (o furacao da copa). I knew it was then over. Afterwards we danced down the streets of downtown Chicago. The gringos didn’t know WTF was going on.

1978 WC, Argentina 6 X Peru 0 : Brasil had beaten Poland 3 X 1 in the semis and was already in the final of the WC. The only thing that would keep Brasil from the finals was if Argentina beats Peru by 6 X 0 – and guess what? The first time in the history of the WC that a team gets knocked out of the WC without having lost one game. The format of course changed after 1978.

1982 WC Italy 3 X Brasil 2 – Third goal by Paulo Rossi. One of the saddest days of my life. Speechless, filled the house with tears, and bed stricken for 2 weeks.

1986 WC Loss to France in PK’s – Had just gotten married. Collapsed in my bedroom by the side of my bed and wife called the ambulance.

1994 WC final – I was there in Cali. Collapsed and fainted at Bagio’s PK miss. Brother dragged me out unconscious from the stadium for awakening and celebration.

2002 WC final – second goal by Ronaldo. I knew it was then over. Again dancing in the streets of Chicago. This time the gringos understood.

2006 WC loss AGAIN to France – Zidane’s chapeu. Roberto Carlos’s fixing his sox, and the MF Henry’s goal. Rude awakening for Brasil.

2010 WC final – Brasil vs. ??????????? This time will be dancing in the streets of Rio together with my torcida raca Flamengistas!!