Your 22 for qualifying?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by NASL Fan, Sep 15, 2003.

1. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! It was Costa Rica. You do know that the only reason Bocangera was playing was because we had no other defenders available? You do know that he finished the Brazil game at target forward because he cramped up badly and could barely walk? You do know that the Costa Rica game was by most accounts the worst game he ever played for the nats, and he scored in it?

We have _one_ guy who might currently be better than Bocanegra and that's Pope, and it's close.

2. ElRoss425

ElRoss425 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccerfan, if Bocanegra is your first to cut then I'm glad your not Arena. Bocanegra is consistently mentioned as one of the top 5 American prospects for European teams. I didn't catch that game, but I can assure you he's been one of our better defenders and is our best defensive prospect at this moment. I think 95% of USMNT fans would tell you the same.

3. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    time will tell, and i may be wrong but when i have a feeling i am usualy right, we shall see

4. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Unless Friedel, Keller or Howard pick up some serious injury, Walker isn't going to have much of a chance. Especially with the likes of Thornton and Hartman contending with him.

5. ElRoss425

ElRoss425 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know that much about Walker. I had always heard he'd done well in Chile or wherever he was. How old is he?

6. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Born: 9-13-74 in Torrance, California
    Hometown: Memphis, Tennessee
    College: Louisville
    How Acquired: Acquired on July 14, 2003, to replace Tim Howard
    Previous Clubs: Colo Colo, Chile (2003); Universidad Catolica, Chile (1997-2002); Huachipato, Chile (loan; 1998-1999); Jacksonville Cyclones, A-League (1997); Dallas Burn, MLS (1996); Memphis Jackals, USL (1992-1993)
    National Teams: U.S. U-23; U-17

http://www.metrostars.com/yourteam/jonny_walker.htm

7. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK it is time to chime in because I have had enough of seeing Taylor Twellman's name as a US player. He's the next David Regis. Bruce, please drop this guy now. How I hope Freddy Adu can get to this level to push Twellman out of the picture ASAP.

Bocanegra will be a starter for the team. I have faith in his skills.

Frankie will factor in qualifying, no doubt at all. His speed will make any team fearful of a run out of the backline.

Please, remember that Nick Rimando is or at least should be on the goalkeepers list. He has been a solid keeper and I think has damn good skills.

8. ElRoss425

ElRoss425 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TeamUSA, pretty much all of us know that Boca is a badass, but Rimando? Frankie? and a 14 year old for one of the MLS's top scorers? You've got to be kidding me with this. Not to be too harsh(ah screw it) Frankie's a soon to be "has been" and Rimando is a "never was". Maybe I'm being a little hard on Rimando, it's not his fault we have 3 great keepers(and a few more good ones behind them), but he's not going to see any significant playing time in crucial qualifiers. Ever.

9. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what round?

I'm with voros...unless we draw both Cuba and haiti for the SS Minnow round, expect to see an all-domestic roster for the first round, with a few spots used as a "Hey, great season" or maybe even a "Hey, great career" type of gesture...

Bruno has, after all, done this before (Jesse Marsch comes to mind) when the game has meant little to nothing (I'm assuming that, if the aforementioned two nations are not in the US group it will take les than four matches to qualify)...

I'd also expect to see a few junior players...

Count on seeing Taylor Twellman in this first round. Don't be shocked if he gets at least 3 goals and becomes Flavor-of-the-Month again.

The rosters many of you are tossing out there are very suitable for the semi-final round.

Bocanegra will be there.

10. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Puke ahhh Twellman flavor of the month? I never heard of him being the flavor of the month, except by Rev fans. I never thought much of him.

El Ross, I wrote: I hope Adu, yes a 14 or 15 year old, can get up to the next level to push him out ASAP. Not that it's going to happen before qualifying starts. Twellman may be a leading scorer in MLS, but he still blows chunks and I would take Adu right now over Taylor any freaking day of the week.

Rimando is a solid keeper. Don't be surprised to see him getting time.

Frankie isn't done just yet. Please recall that before the world cup, most posters here laughed, and cried foul about Frankie and loved Regis and look at how things turned out? Regis saw the pitch from the bench while Frankie took his spot. I had also said that Sanneh still had the skills and the man was stellar.

So write it down, get it tattooed, bookmark the page, pin it to your shirt, or whatever you need to do. Everything above it about to be reality.

11. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you get ESPN Dos in Argentina? It carries MLS.

12. ElRoss425

ElRoss425 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TeamUSA, it sounds like you've got your heart set on those guys, so I'm not going to try and persuade you, but you've heard my opinion.

13. NYmetrofan

NYmetrofan New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    NY
    My 22 for qualifying:
    GOALKEEPERS:
    Brad Friedel
    Kasey Keller
    Tim Howard

DEFENDERS:
    Eddie Pope
    Carlos Bocanegra
    Cory Gibbs
    Danny Califf
    Bobby Convey
    Frankie Hejduk

MIDFIELDERS:
    DaMarcus Beasley
    Kyle Martino
    Claudio Reyna
    Chris Armas
    Pablo Mastroeni
    Steve Ralston
    Ricardo Clark
    John O'Brien

FORWARDS:
    Clint Mathis
    Landon Donovan
    Brian McBride
    Taylor Twellman
    Freddy Adu

14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adu is NOT going to be on the qualifying team he's still only 14, don't put him up there for qualifying, especially with the first round starting in the next few months.

15. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we all know that teams like Tottenham, Blackburn and ManU would be FURIOUS to lose their goalkeepers in the middle of the season for a game against Anguilla or St. Kitts/Nevis, so let's rule out on the important overseas players right off the bat for Jan./Feb. So here is a list of guys i would give a shot.

Johnnie Walker
    Adin Brown
    Cory Gibbs
    Carlos Bocanegra
    Eddie Pope
    D. Beasley
    Bobby Convey
    L. Donovan
    Kyle Martino
    Ricardo Clark
    Edson Buddle
    B. McBride
    Todd Dunivant
    Ante Razov
    Frankie Heyduk
    Pablo Mastroeni
    Clint Mathis
    Taylor Twellman
    Kelly Gray
    Ben Olsen
    Eddie Lewis

That leaves 1 guy, so pick another goalie from MLS and keep on rolling ........... if we can't beat St. Lucia with that squad, we are truly in trouble!

16. soccerhooligan33

soccerhooligan33 New Member

Oct 31, 2002
    Clifton, VA
    Goalkeepers:
    Adin Brown
    Johnny Walker
    Nick Rimando

Defenders:
    Carlos Bocanegra
    Eddie Pope
    Bobby Convey
    Corey Gibbs
    Kelly Gray
    Todd Dunivant
    Chris Gbandi

Midfielders:
    Kyle Martino
    Eddie Lewis
    Ricardo Clark
    Pablo Mastroeni
    Richard Mulrooney
    Chris Klien
    Damarcus Beasley
    Kyle Beckerman

Forwards:
    Brian McBride
    Landon Donovan
    Taylor Twellman
    Edson Buddle

17. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, we won't need every available player from Europe, but technically FIFA qualifiers, regardless of opponent, allows you to call up whomever necessary.

In addition, camp for the qualifier may include 22 players, but the number of players to be dressed for the ACTUAL match is 18, IIRC.

18. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sounds like you may need to up your medication.
    Rimando will not see any qualifiers unless they play a DC double header and he watches from the stands. Cannon, who has not seen a minute this year is ahead of little nickie. Brown, Cannon, Thorton, Hartman and Walker are all better, Countess is probably better too. As for twellman, you can hate him as much as you want but u will be seeing him throughout qualifying. He is a solid hardnosed(albeit broken nose) player who can score with his head and feet with the best of them. Take it to the bank, Twellman will see more games than Rimando. In almost 2 seasons Twellman has 36 goals, 8 against your boy Rimando. WOW that close to 1/4 of his amount against Rimando. If twellman is crap and can score 8 goals against DC and Rimando,,,what does that make Little nickie?

19. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good thread. A lot of interesting ideas.....So here's my $0.02.

GK:
    Friedel
    Howard

Defenders:
    Pope
    Bocanegra
    Hejduk
    Gibbs
    Sanneh
    Convey

Midfielders:
    Reyna
    O'Brien
    Mastroani
    Beasley
    Lewis
    Martino

Forwards:
    McBride
    Donovon
    Buddle
    Conor
    Twellmen
    Mathis

20. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Read that he was at Arsenal now....not for the full squad, of course.