YoungYanks in Italy: Trend or Blip?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by timmy17, Feb 5, 2007.

1. timmy17

timmy17 New Member

Oct 17, 2000
    Just wondering if this is a blip or a trend. Used to be only one or two Americans at a time in the EPL. Now there are thirteen. Is Italy next, with Ferrari, Rossi (Yank but not Nat), and Dalby? going there?

And why would it be that 2006/7 is the start? Thoughts?

2. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    After our match vs Italy it showed their club teams that we have talent and that Rossi wasn't by chance.

Over the next few years I see a huge increase, to about the same as the EPL, of yanks in Serie A.

3. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    I think its a good thing as long as Italian Football continues to try and clean up.

Suspending the games for this weekend might be drastic to some, but it needed to be done.

I'm disappointed in the regression in punishment towards the guilty teams in the match-fixing scandal.

But branching outside of England is a good thing, and Serie A is a very strong league for a player to develop in.

4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    There'll be marginal increases, if any, since the Italians are prohibited from stockpiling the non-EU talent and the limited slots there usually go to the proven Argentine, African or Brazilian players.

Plus, Yanks with the EU passport are likely to end up in England because of the money and the style of play.

5. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    EPL does have the most money, I think if better performances by our Nats against these countries(Spain,France,Italy,Germany,Holland) more young kids will go over there.

6. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
  7. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta
    Agreed. Americans will always be more prevelant in countries with lower EU standards. This is simply because no Americans are big enough stars to fill those slots. England/Germany/Holland/France will probably remain our focus, with Italian Americans who can play in Italy or Americans who come up through the Italian youth ranks, along with the possibility of an American in Spain if a few become bonafide stars in the future. Spain is the least likely. I dont want these leagues littered because I am hopeful that a good few players, not nescessarily the absolute best, but a good portion of the quality players stay in the U.S. Although I do like the Cooper route, young players going to Europe from High School, either making it or coming back to MLS. I could see players like Kyle Davies and the type doing that if things don't work out.

8. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    You forgot Vincenzo Bernardo

9. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU
    Don't forget the kid in Napoli. Serie A or italian league is better developing young talent than EPL. I truely wish Rossi plays for us. having Rossi, Ferrari and Dalby in Copa America would be awesome.

Italian league not only develop italians, but africans, eastern europeans, young south americans, vikings and some french kids. Look at Martin and Kallon, Inter produces these players ( damn you, Freddy ).

10. AGF Aarhus

AGF Aarhus Member

Union Berlin
    Apr 7, 2001
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    I would just point out that up until now we are dealing mostly with American players of Italian descent.

11. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    After the WC game against the US, I think they are more willing to give us a shot. Dempsey carved them up on the right side. Gooch was a monster. Convey ran at them ok and DMB nearly iced it.

We earned their respect in that match.

12. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The news-biz saying is two is a blip, three is a trend...

[edit to add]
    If you want a flood, US managers have to move into management in those leagues. that's usually how it works.
    And, if that is true, Arena becomes part of this discussion...

13. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Dalby is not joining Serie A.

14. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    But there's still hope for him in the Super League.

15. sportsfan232323

sportsfan232323 New Member

Nov 11, 2005
    FOR ALL YOU KNOWLEDGEABLE EU work permit TYPES

I have question regarding our US players getting work permit.....

1---Does the player have to get an EU passport or just be eligible to get passport for a work permit ...IE Parents or grandparents were born or have EU passports????

2----And with the divorce rate and remarriage...what if a kid had a step parent and was officially adopted by EU parent.

3----In US we have the marriage for US passport deal ...How long would it take for our lads to get EU passport if he had to endure sleeping with a Tiger Wood's Scan wife look a like ????

this is intended to be a serious 3 part question for players getting work permits so forgive the middle age dreaming on #3.....but please try to answer all 3 questions

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Work permits for soccer are only required in the UK.

However, most Euro nations have limits on the number of non-EU players on each team. That means that even though one may not need to be a EU citizen to be signed by a team, it ain't gonna hoit.

The rules for getting citizenship/passports are different for every country. Some like Poland or Italy may allow the third generation immigrants to attain them. Other apply some form of historical precedent (Germany and Austria for those stripped of citizenship by the Nazis, Spain for the Latin American players, the French for the French speaking Africans and Caribbeans, etc.). A WP through marriage should be easy to obtain anywhere, the full citizenship more difficult.

The above are general guidelines. The details are too numerous to pontificate.