Young YA's and loans back to the MLS

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Nov 22, 2007.

1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is strictly rhetorical in nature, but how would you feel about guys like Zizzo and Nguyen getting loaned to the MLS?? Personally as a Quakes fan I would be all for it, would love either of these guys on my gameday roster. The circumstances have to be compatable though. Zizzo literally just got at Hannover, so the Hannover reserves is probably a good place to kick it for his first year of being exposed to it. But a guy like Nguyen, whos been playing in the reserves for who knows how long, i think it would be beneficial for him to play a season on loan in the MLS. Same thing with Zizzo in a year or two. Its something id like to see encouraged myself, not sure if it is even in the cards though. What do you guys think?

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I'd rather have them stay in Europe, but go to a team they can actually get minutes with. Why doesn't Earnie Stewart at NAC Breda give PSV a call a take Nguyen on a loan?

Although when Landycakes came back to MLS, he was technically on loan. So it does happen. That worked out for everybody involved. (well, except for those people who thought Landon would turn into Zidane if he stayed in Europe.)

3. KZ Man

KZ Man Member

Jun 12, 2006
    NoVa
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do the different schedules in Europe vs. MLS make this easier or harder?

4. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uhhhhh. So do i respond or not? :D

5. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    As I understand it, MLS doesn't typically take players on loan, unless it's a player like Landon, who gets all sorts of rules bent for him.

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    When/If MLS improves tactically and technically to the point where a Euro GM won't feel cheated for loaning his players out here, there's no reasons why this shouldn't happen.

But if you want tactical development from your youngsters, you don't want them in a league where the backpass is the king and off-the-ball movement is barely existent.

As a side note, Lee Nguyen is probably not an MLS quality/caliber player anyway but can probably do well in a 2nd tier Euro league over the next 10 years.

7. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reserve sustem is better where they are. They will get more playing time staying put. If and when they return to the MLS is will be a benefit for them. I don't see the MLS paying the kind of money these boys are earning in Europe to make a loan deal work.

8. HeMan

HeMan Member

Jun 5, 2006
    Earth
    FYA (Failed Yank Abroad):
    zak whitbread-league one? are you serious? try MLS.
    benny feilhaber-claudio's replacement can't even make Derby's roster.
    jemal johnson-again...league one?
    lee nguyen-what are you doing these days?
    kamani hill-have you been hanging out with lee?
    adin brown-went from tim's #1 rival for the #1GK spot to probably #10 on the pecking order.
    charlie davies-see where Edu is at now? now see where davies is at now. Edu was smart.
    quentin westberg-donde esta Quentin?

YA's that are probably going to fail:
    johann smith-i highly doubt he'll crack into Bolton's first team...much less be an important fixture. i'd come back to MLS if i was him.
    sal zizzo-not a sniff with Hannover yet...not looking good.
    danny szetela-i'd give him another season to see if he can crack the first team before i say he's a "FYA".
    greg dalby-could of contended with Edu for rookie of the year, but instead wasted a year chasing a team to pick him up.
    gabriel ferrari-i'm getting the feeling Sampdoria are going in a different direction.
    vincenzo bernardo-i have heard zero about this guy, and i doubt that will change.
    tally hall-probably wouldn't have made it with a MLS team either, but he needs to be cracking in Europe. so FYA.
    eric lichaj-too early to tell, but i'm really doubt he'll find any luck with Villa.
    steve purdy-IF he manages to get on 1860's first team, he will most likely only be playing in Bundesliga2.
    preston zimmermann-i'd say wait till 2010 before i can judge if he's a FYA or not.

the only YA's (current USMNT players) that have truly benefited from going overseas:
    jonathan spector
    frankie simek
    jay demerit
    heath pearce
    michael bradley. probably the biggest success story of going abroad besides DeMerit.
    steve cherundolo
    tim howard
    marcus hahnemann
    bobby convey
    damarcus beasley
    carlos bocanegra
    freddy adu
    clint dempsey. i'm still waiting for bigger things for him though.

it seems as though sometimes players need to understand that maybe europe might not be the best fit for every player. i, for one, am glad that donovan came back to MLS. imagine how bad he would suck if he was where benny feilhaber is at now? not even making the roster for the worst EPL team ever. the guys in the first list to need to beg to see about coming back to MLS, kenny cooper-style, so that they can salvage their career.

HOWEVER, MLS players that i think should try their luck overseas (if they could find the right club):
    -Eddie Gaven. peaked in MLS. needs motivation. let's put him to the fire and see if he will get better under pressure or crumble.
    -Justin Mapp. same scenario as Gaven.
    -Jozy Altidore. obvious.
    -David Arvizu. i don't think he even cracked on Preki's first team this season. if i were him, i'd go to a team that will let him develop him technically and physically and if he can't crack the first team in a year or so...come back to MLS.
    -Ugo Ihemelu. he needs to work on his technique. i don't see MLS helping him with that. i would say try a second division spanish/italian side or a weak Dutch/French 1st division side at least for a year.
    -Ricardo Clark. i think a loan would be good for him. especially, to a struggling EPL team. let him go there in December and come back to Houston at the end of the season.
    -Maurice Edu. too much talent to stay at TFC. i think he was smart to come to MLS first though. he may want to stay one more year in MLS though.
    -Todd Dunivant. if he wants to contend with Bornstein/Pearce then he's going to take some risks.
    -Jonathan Bornstein. a move to europe may help his defending.
    -Brad Guzan. too much potential to stay in MLS.
    -Brian Carroll. the perfect utility player. i don't understand why DCU would let him go unprotected.
    -Nate Jaqua. not going to do anything special in MLS. if he can move to a top club in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Switzerland, Scotland, or Belgium i think it'd be a good fit for him. maybe they can teach him to be a true center FW.
    -Eddie Johnson. he needs to at least try out europe. otherwise, jozy and Bob are probably going to leave him behind.
    -Chad Marshall. just leave Columbus. he's too young to give up on, but his MLS career isn't looking too promising. however, i think he could still succeed in europe.
    -Clint Mathis. only chance he's going to get to redeem his fame is to tear it up in europe.
    -Zach Wells. not going to get a sniff with Houston. he might as well see if he can go the route i'm suggesting for Jaqua.
    -Marvell Wynne. get out of the sinking ship that is TFC. go to europe for a year or two...see how things go.

MLS players that i think should stay in MLS (at least for awhile):
    -Stuart Holden
    -Arturo Alvarez. i'd rather him develop as a #10 for FCD and build his confidence instead of sitting on the bench for some team in Europe. his best chance for his USMNT career is to make the most of the chances he gets when the euros are left at home.
    -Kenny Cooper
    -Kyle Beckerman
    -Jose Burciaga
    -Corey Ashe
    -Matt Pickens
    -Matt Reis
    -Michael Parkhurst. not that i don't think he wouldn't succeed in Europe, but i think he's got the perfect scenario at New England...and he will receive plenty of experience of the years with the national team.
    -Jimmy Conrad
    -Drew Moor
    -Hunter Freeman
    -Davy Arnaud
    -Brad Davis
    -Brian Mullan
    -Herculez Gomez
    -Robbie Findley
    -Bobby Boswell
    -Joe Cannon
    -Troy Perkins
    -Dasan Robinson
    -Bakary Soumare
    -Eddie Robinson
    -Pat Ianni
    -Robbie Rogers. wait till 2010 to go abroad.
    -Chris Seitz
    -Nathan Sturgis. wait till 2010 to go abroad. develop here first.
    -Wells Thompson. i don't think most euro teams are going to want a 23 yr old midfielder with only one year of playing experience. however, if he dominates in MLS than he will get his chances with the national team.
    -Lawson Vaughn
    -Chris Rolfe. i don't think he's good enough or for lack of a better word...wouldn't be appreciated by most euro teams. his best bet is to dominate MLS and make the most of his call-ups.
    -Chad Barrett. like Rolfe. just dominate MLS and he'll get his chances. but i don't see him tearing up any euro league.
    -Taylor Twellman
    -Brian Ching
    -Dax McCarty. become a MLS regular and he'll receive chances with the USMNT. go to europe and sit on the bench would be disastrous for his development.
    -Sacha Kljestan. first become a mainstay with the national team. i'd say develop in MLS until 2010 and then try to go to europe.
    -Pat Noonan
    -Landon Donovan. no point and trying to go through the growing pains of a major move with Donovan. he is what he is.

9. wooglin12

wooglin12 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take out Adin Brown and give me the average age of these guys. What exactly do you expect? How have guys who are barely in their twenties considered failures?

10. diamonddnice

diamonddnice New Member

Jul 16, 2006
    i don't think it is best. They benefit from competing for a spot in a place with a much deeper talent pool then an average mls team. The point is to go play, compete and learn at a higher level. It doesn't make much sense to come back to me.

11. Count

Count New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heman,

Brian Carroll tried his luck in europe last summer with a few trials for smaller clubs in several leagues. Nobody picked him up. We left him unprotected because we have a better american DMid in Clyde Simms.

12. soccerstar99

soccerstar99 New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    usa
    is there a possibility that Gabe Ferrari, Sal Zizzo, and Vincenzo Bernardo will get loaned to an MLS team in the near future to gain experience/games?

throw in.
    Darren Yao
    Brandon Lee
    Preston Zimmerman

13. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    I think Zimmerman and Zizzo are doing very well on their reserve team set-ups thus far. Both players are young and talented, and doing good things for their youth set-ups. There's no reason to believe they can't move up to the 1st team by next year. There's no doubt in my mind that both should stay.

Ngyuen and Hill I'm far more concerned about. Hill, in particular, showed a lot in his brief appearance with the US MNT. I think San Jose would be the perfect chance for him to get some solid game experience. Ngyuen seems to have problems with management and injury more than location. Hopefully he'll get a chance with Huub coming in next year, I don't think he should run just yet. Hill, on the otherhand, clealry needs to find new employment. I'd rather he transfer/loan to the MLS for a season or 2 and return to Europe, instead of moving on to a Scandanavian league or 2nd Bundesliga.

14. Right Foot Planted

Aug 11, 2007

Again, he's already clarified his position on this matter very clearly:

Hill Looking to New Pastures

15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good post, and it goes down to situation, i agree completely. I think Zizzo for the time being does his thing with the Hannover reserves.

Nguyen and Hill, the situations are much more dire. these guys need to impress and in a hurry for their euro careers to progress, if they even have any. Hill, im clamoring for my team the Quakes, the equation fits; expansion team who needs strikers. I hope he heeds the call. Being from the area originally, it fits the bill. as well as the fact he has looked decent enough for the nats from what ive seen.

Nguyen is more of an enigma, he has stated he wants to stay overseas, but if blocked moves to VVV Venlo are the best aspirations you can hope for, maybe its time to come home.

16. Right Foot Planted

Aug 11, 2007
    Aside from the fact that he has no interest in playing for the quakes, or in the MLS at this point in his career; as he's stated in no uncertain language. He's looking at the 2.Bundesliga, and other leagues of similar standing for a chance to get out on the field, and that's his focus.

17. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    He shouldn't rule out doing the Gibbs thing (without the injury part).

18. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Khamani has a guaranteed contract at this moment that should take him through the 2009 season.

If he signs with a BL II team, he'll probably get a new contract that will give him a decent pay through 2009-2010.

If he doesn't get a new contract this winter, he will still get paid by VW.
    Cory was basically at the end of his tether at St. Pauli and MLS gave him a nice shot.

19. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    didn't know he was still under contract. I'm sure he can find a well-paying gig in BL2 (at least better than that 150K or so he'd get in MLS). While I've not seen much of him, he looks a solid prospect. He's got good size, speed, and footwork. Maybe 1860 Munich is a good idea, Beerholder and Wolfe could certainly help him get acclimated in the team (assuming his German is still not the greatest).

Still, I have to wonder why he's not even getting reserve team minutes with Wolfsburg. Maybe the coaching staff doesn't like him and would blackball a move in Germany.