Young Turk Jozy Altidore: it's been Villarreal [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by sidefootsitter, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was there fanbase reaction?

2. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
  3. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of things didn't happen enough while Jozy was with Hull.

I was always most disappointed that they couldn't get a consistent front 6 group and keep them healthy. I believe Jozy would have fared much better if he had been able to spend more time on the field with VoH, Geovanni and Hunt.

4. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    some fans really want him. they watched videos of him on youtube. and i showed them his 360 spin gif :cool:

others optimistic because of his stats. alot like BS

5. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Bad question for sure but you do know not everyone who covers any assigned event is an expert or specifies in that event right?

7. TigerRoo

TigerRoo New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Traralgon.Vic.
    Club:
    Hull City AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    When Hull City reached the EPL for the first time in their 104 year history we were ill-prepared for that level of football and scraped survival thanks to Newcastle failing to win on the final day. Jozy lacked experienced and VoH and Geovanni were way past their prime and not able to give the kind of support that Jozy needed. Hunt, although a very capable player, did more running and arguing and was also hindered by a foot injury that had been undetected for some time.
    Eredivisie Club Managers and tacticians are no-body's fools and will mark Jozy with a speedy defender instructed to keep Jozy on his left side thereby limiting his shooting ability. By contrast, AZ will probably designate a 'box-to-box' player to draw Jozy's marker away and give Jozy some space. I will be very interested to see what happens when Jozy plays his first few games in Holland.

8. vagegast

vagegast Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Herndon, VA
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yes. It was just an observation.

9. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that here in the US, we are used to this kind of journalism in regards to soccer. Soccer is usually backpage stuff in these parts.

10. vagegast

vagegast Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Herndon, VA
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Precisely. We shouldn't back away from criticizing an institution such as ESPN.

11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It is fitting that the limburg boys play at the cheesemarket.

This is a good move for Jozy if it happens. Lots of chances to eat cheese and learn to sail. It is freaking sleepy up there, tho. He will either be relaxed as can be, or driving into Amsterdam every day for a little excitement - not that it's far.

12. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Altidore confirms his move to AZ Alkmaar (twitter)

13. Jacques Strappe

Mar 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't think it was that bad of a question at all. Perhaps the reporter had noticed that Jozy was played on the wings and and in midfield quite a bit at Bursa, and perhaps they noticed that the move was to a league in a country that plays lot of 4-3-3. It is certainly not out of the question that a player with Jozy's pace could be considered for a wing position at a new club rather than his preferred role as striker. It's not a bad idea to clarify how he is going to be used in his new club. These are facts that seemed to have escaped those who are criticising the reporter in this case.

I could be giving the reporter too much credit regarding the intention of the question. It's still not a bad question whether the reporter meant it or not.

14. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'v been saying that Jozy is a winger trying to play as a CF for a while now.

When he gets out on the wing he looks much comfortable.

Jozy can turn on his defender and release a powerful shot, but for me he is better off playing as more of a winger than a forward.

15. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    starting to sound like Kenny Cooper syndrome.

I think Jozy should be a target forward (or at least an inside forward) because he is not that quick, and
    is most successful when he can combine his speed + power. On the wing, your power gets neutralized.

He's fast for a big, strong guy- but not for a winger

16. zhe fulano

zhe fulano Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    Jan 31, 2010
    Florida Keys, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jamie Carragher might remember it differently...Altidore blowing past him and launching a rocket at Robert Green.

This is a good move for Jozy.

17. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    and turkeys defense on left wing remembers him running through 3 of them. :cool:

18. TigerRoo

TigerRoo New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Traralgon.Vic.
    Club:
    Hull City AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I just hope the dams hold and the pitches don't get flooded as Jozy will find it difficult to show his skills under these conditions:

[​IMG]

19. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    so it rains alot in Hoggland?

is the weather bad year-round

20. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This move has been so big that no Spanish paper has reported it yet...ok, I've just checked Marca and the local El Periodico Mediterraneo.

21. Digs

Digs Member

Sep 9, 2007
    I'm pretty sure they don't write stories based off tweets.

22. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Actually, the Carragher situation proved my point.

Carragher is really a central defender. He is 32-33, so not the fastest anymore. Jozy got him on the wing, and (actually you are wrong- he didn't blow by him) it was fascinating battle of speed AND power- look at the tape again, Jozy took a hard challenge, held his ground as moving forward,
    and then got by Carragher.

It was really cool, high level stuff from both of them. A real battle.
    Both demonstrated decent speed. But it was the physical battle that really catches the attention.

But let's not mistake Jamie Carragher for Ashley Cole or Evra...someone
    who would have been quicker in that situation.

Dominating the Jamie Carragher's would be the right spot for Jozy, and that's going to happen inside more than outside.

Good for Jozy: the quality of central defending in Holland should be weaker than the Prem, so he should automatically be more successful and we all hope that feeds upon itself as he learns, builds confidence, scores and moves up the quality chain repeating the cycle (learning, more confidence, scoring, etc)

If Jozy can't be big-time successful in Holland, then we will have seen his limit. Within a season (at most, and really earlier), he should be a dominant scorer in this league.

23. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's been more than that...and you are talking about Marca, who likes to just make stuff up:)

24. Digs

Digs Member

Sep 9, 2007
    eh?

25. TigerRoo

TigerRoo New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Traralgon.Vic.
    Club:
    Hull City AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    You have taken that post out of context "Digs" - 'supercooper' distinctly say's "CAN'T" not 'CAN".