Young players part of new trend

Discussion in 'Girls Youth Soccer' started by Bird1812, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Bird1812

Bird1812 New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    RegII, I think you'll appreciate this article.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080110/COLUMNISTS0309/801100347/1087/sports

January 10, 2008

Young players part of new trend

Players choosing colleges before finishing their junior seasons

2. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    One question about the article....how can NCAA Div 1 rules be adhered to if a freshman can give a verbal commitment to a college? Div 1 coaches aren't allowed to speak to players until thier junior year, so how then can a player as a freshman give a verbal commitment?

I have been to a couple of college recruiting "seminars" put on by my daughter's former club. In these seminars, college coaches at various levels have come and spoken about how thier respective divisions function with regard to recruiting. Almost every coach stated that when an offer is given to a player even as young as a junior, that player is expected to continue to improve. They aren't signing the player up to perform at thier current performance level as much as the level they expect the player to progress to once they are ready to report. If this is true, how can a coach make a decision on a player this early?

R2, if cc had been asked for a verbal commitment three years ago would it have been the one she recently made? And, in hindsight would the decision of three years ago been the right decision?

I don't see how making these decisions so early is good for anyone-- player or coach. If the parents/players would wake up and realize that decisions made earlier than thier junior year aren't wise, and refuse to make them-- then the pressure would be off to even consider them.

3. PERFDBDAN

PERFDBDAN New Member

May 6, 2004
    This has been going on for four to five years. Six years ago when my older daughter entered college it did not start until the junior year.

The demand for the top players is much higher leading to recruiting earlier.

It is done within the letter of the rules. For Div. 1 schools, the school cannot initiate contact before June following the completion of the junior year, but may respond to a contact made by the player or the player's family. Many players have learned to make inquiries will before their sophomore year. Through summer camps run by schools, involvement in ODP and contacts from the coaches "pipeline" sources players are identified and encouraged to communicate with a school so the process can begin. It is truly amazing the number of players who receive notice that their request to attend a college's summer camp and fee waiver have been granted, when the player and parent cannot recall submitting such a request.

The "commitments" are not commitments in any real sense of the word. They are not binding on anyone. The only thing binding is that contract signed by the player and school known as a "Letter of Intent". Until the letter is signed either party can back way or modify the deal.

For the schools an early verbal commitment allows the coach to see how his recruiting class is shaping up and know where to look to fill any holes. For the recruit it removes a great deal of the uncertainty and angst in the process.

There are drawbacks if a player changes her mind. For the school there is now a need to fill another hole. (However, every school I know would rather the player change their mind before coming and the scholarship being committed for the year, than wait till they are half way through the first semester and then bail.) If a player gets lazy or injured the school can back away (usually glad to have found out). Rarely will a school pull a commitment to a player because they found a better prospect. If a school did that word would spread and recruiting would get muchmore difficult.

For the player the situation is no different than if they waited to start the search process till later. Perhaps fewer immediate opportunities, but still plenty.

Also, you need to keep in mind these early commitments are for the top 100 or so players in the country. That is where the demand is.

4. Bird1812

Bird1812 New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Just a week or so ago a nationally ranked U15 team from my state was at Disney. The reports back home were that there were 40 college coaches watching their first game and while college coaches usually leave before the finals, there were large numbers at the finals on Jan 2 to watch them and their opponents play. You can probably safely assume that these coaches represented some of the top programs in the country. It was also reported back that parents made sure that the appropriate coaches were aware that their daughters were interested in their schools. They also reported that the college coaches were in contact with the club coaches, expressing an interest in certain players. These girls are literally, 13, 14 and 15 years old (and in one case, the player is eligible to play as a U13). By the rules of the NCAA there was no direct contact with the players, but none the less there was contact made.

5. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    But, it seems to me that "direct contact" is extended to include not just the player but also the "players representative (meaning parents or guardians)". Not to mention there are also rules that directly discuss when and where coaches can communicate with individuals while at events.

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, this communication seems like the right thing to do to gain an upper-hand on the other recruits in the Country. However, on the other hand-- my kid is one of those other recruits they are getting an upper-hand on. So I don't like it much at all. I guess if I had to be honest, I wouldn't be as against it if the contacts were being made to my kid in this manner. Kind of a "sour grapes" thing, I suppose........

6. KCM2

KCM2 New Member

Nov 9, 2007
    "These girls are literally, 13, 14 and 15 years old (and in one case, the player is eligible to play as a U13). By the rules of the NCAA there was no direct contact with the players, but none the less there was contact made."

So, as a parent, how to you relay that to a (7th), eighth or ninth grader without applying massive pressure, therefore possibily ... possibily killing their LOVE of the game... giving them, now in 8th, 9th grade something to focus on, other than their school work, their skills, etc... ??

Just let me know, this, a newbie, what other sports.. does this happen with???, whether it's my kid or not? And does and should a child this age be privy to this info and weight of the world?

I guess I'm asking, once approached, do you share this with a young player? And how should we approach that with our kids, if approached, apparently WAY Early?

7. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    Menace....Remember the BB PG from Mason City that verballed with Iowa when he was a Freshman, happens more in BB than it does in soccer, at least with Freshman. Any player and family can have contact with any coach as long as YOU call the school or coach and make plans for a unofficial visit. Once the coach gets you on campus, then anything can be discussed. Remember, unofficial visits can happen as many times as you would like.

I know that coaches have came and watched her team play at Disney and other events at U15/16. For alot of them, they get to watch the player grow from U15 to U17. The same coaches that were at Disney will also be at ODP Regionals that you will never hear about and club regionals. They would like to see players as much as they can before they make an offer to the recruit.

8. PERFDBDAN

PERFDBDAN New Member

May 6, 2004
    Region,

You are right. One thing to keep in mind, however, is there are restrictions for NCAA Division 1 schools on how many times they may "see" a player play. This is one-reason tournaments and camps are valued; a player may play six games in the tournament or at a camp, the tournament or camp counts as only "1" of the allowed scouting inspections. The scout can see the player in two or three games, then see the player a few months later, and still have yet more opportunities to see the player and get a good idea of how the player truly plays and how the player is progressing in their development. A single club league game or high school game counts also as one scouting inspection, but offers much less.

You can see why college scouts prefer tournaments - they can see more players and see more of the players they are interested in.

9. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    Since we are done till Feb 09, I would really like to see the NCAA change the official visits to after xmas break your Jr year. It gets VERY expensive to travel to out of state schools for a unofficial visit on your own dime. And the sad thing is, she didnt get to visit 2 of her top 10 schools on her list because of cost and we all thought time was running out. Its a very humbling and fun time, but afterwards, it can get stressful on the player to choose.

News Flash, EVERY school she visited was very nice. I wish I could of attended any of them when I was her age.:)

10. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    Menace, this is sooooo true, but I have seen SO many girls do just the opposite. They think once they have verballed or signed that letter of intent, they are set and they do not have to work as hard any longer. Voting not to travel to tournaments, stopping ODP, not working out etc. Look at the U18s on that ugly club back home. They were scheduled to travel to the score at the shore and guess what?? they arent going because 8 girls backed out, and over 1/2 of them know where they are going to play college at. Its a joke!! Where is the committment?? And 2 of them that voted not to go are heading to that school just north of me.

11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It is good to be a soccer player. Very, very good.

Average SAT score of students accepted at Notre Dame from my kid's high school is 1390.

Something tells me, there aren't that many Notre Dame soccer players sporting 1390 SATs.

12. Bird1812

Bird1812 New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    A post from Connecticut found in another forum:

13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    A Yale representative wrote that?

The correct word is "Ivies," not "Ivy's."

14. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    This is true Bird, about the ACT/SAT scores. However, there are alot of schools out there that will take JUST the minium score. Which tells me that they are all about the sport and not really about the student. And most of the schools we visited request that you take the ACT/SATs at least twice. The first test is scheduled the last w/end of Jan. We get the scores back and send them off to her verballed school. And then she will retake at a later date hoping to get a even better score. So in a way, yea, she is verballed, but she still has to do her part to get into admissions and stay very busy in soccer.

15. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    Thats why I never attended the Ivies!!:eek:

16. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    Yale offers NEED BASED aid...There are no SURE things at Yale and most other Ivy's...

There are alot of schools that only offer NEED BASED aid. Not just the Ivies.

17. Smashfoot

Smashfoot New Member

Feb 25, 2005
    The club coach of my kid was 1st approached by a college coach at a major tourny just before the kid's soph year. The kid would have been 14 at that time. Nothing really happened until after new years of that year, but then things heated up when a coach said we need to know or we'll go after someone else. So we had to make all the phone calls, couldn't communicate by email, etc.
    We made a few visits on our dime, of course, and the choice before the end of the soph year.

Of course, OTOH, deals were still being done by some players on the kid's club team through the middle of their senior year. Lesser deals, certainly, but some were pretty good players. The REALLY good players are sought out, of course, but others have to let colleges know they are interested in going there, and some players and their families don't do a good job of this.

I know of no players who were recruited based on a recruiting web site.

18. KCM2

KCM2 New Member

Nov 9, 2007
    I'm thinking aloud here. What's wrong with college coaches sending a "letter of interest" in the younger years.. Not intent or commitment.

This will give the players, which I'm assuming it's all about, the opportunity to evaluate and think about.... hey... I have some colleges at this young age who are "interested" - there is no commitment on either parties' side, yet there is interest. A dating-type of sorts (hopefully viable and motivational), for both sides... Reason for the player to continue working hard and reason for the college to still pay attention to the player.

Pretty simple, isn't it? Should be legal... for a college TO Approach a player a freshman with a LETTER OF INTEREST... No Commitment, No INTENT, Just a Heads Up...

Does it put too much weight on a player? Don't know, asking.

19. PERFDBDAN

PERFDBDAN New Member

May 6, 2004
    KC,

Such a letter as you have described it would violate NCAA rules.

20. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    Entirely true, however coaches can send frosh and sophs a questionnaire which basically serves as a de facto letter of interest in most cases.

21. Smashfoot

Smashfoot New Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Letters are pretty meaningless. The contacts are typically made thru the club coaches if the college is initiating it.

But the real responsibility to make contact is on the players and their families, who can and should contact the college coaches to let then know they're interested. College coaches usually aren't just watching a game to see who catches their eye. They are looking at specific players who have expressed interest.

22. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    How young is too young to express the interest to the coaches? And to follow-on, who should initiate this expression of interest (parent or player) AND how would you make this statement (ie- Coach, I am interested in playing for you. What do you want my next step to be to convince you I am right for you?)?

23. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    Menace, I know of a good place for her to attend during Spring Break..The Black/Gold(yellow) school is having a camp during Spring Break. I think its a spend the nite sort of thing. Its on there web page. They also are having another camp during the summer. This is one of many ways to let the coach know that you are interested in the program. Coaches cant always come and watch you play, so go to where they are at. She will get some one on one time with him.

I would highly recommend to any player to try to do a couple of camps during the summer starting out there Freshman year. If your player isnt doing Regionals with there club team, this is the perfect time to get in on some summer soccer.

Heard the other day mine came down and spent some time in yours room for most of the night. Sooo, at least part of the olders are doing there part. :)

24. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    Yours is a good kid, and the youngers know and appreciate that. It's that whole "one bad apple" thing that is the problem.

25. Smashfoot

Smashfoot New Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Before high school is too young. For MOST players, freshman is probably too young. Before sophomore year, if the player is going to be at tournaments where college coaches are going to be, then sure. Certainly in the latter part of the sophomore year, summer leading up to the junior year, players should be making contacts. It depends on the player and how good they are and on the school and how good they are. The better you are and the school is from a soccer perspective, the earlier they start making choices, IMHO. However, there were a number of players on kids team who didn't solidify a deal until Fall/Winter of senior year.

College coaches are interested in talking to players. The younger the player, the less appropriate I think this is, simply because the player is not mature enough to have this kind of conversation with an adult. By the time the player is a junior, then the player should be doing the initial talking. You should be able to tell the coach why you want to play for them at their school, and you should also be able to tell them why they should want you. The more specific you can be about your bona fides, such as I made this or that ODP team, or all-league in HS, or scored this many goals, can run this fast, parents were college or pro athletes etc, the better. Have phone numbers available for your club coach or director so the college can call them and verify what you are saying.

The next step to convince them is that they have to see you play. If your team can play at a really big tourny then that shouldn't be too big a problem. If not, then try to guest play at a tournament where the coach will be attending. My kid's coach was very accomodating of players being seen, and would go so far as to schedule practice games at remote locations for the sole purpose of an individual player being seen by a coach.