You would not believe it 20 years ago

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Excape Goat, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Argentina has won the Olympics and Youth World Cups during this time period. Are those not international trophies?

giles varley and greatstriker11 repped this.
  2. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Qatar getting the WC Finals is one big surprise. I would consider Iran or Saudi Arabia before Qatar. In 1995, the debate was between Japan and South Korea hosting it in 2002. I believed it was awarded in 1996. There were a lot of doubters, but nothing liked Qatar 2022.

3. Estel

Estel Member+

May 5, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I agree I forgot to add the words 'major' and 'non-amateur' prior to the phrase "international trophy", but come on, its not like you don't know what I mean. :D

In any case, two more just popped into my mind -
    11) The Italian Serie A would lose out on a European qualification spot in spite of its teams winning 4 CLs in the next 2 decades (2nd highest behind La liga's 7 and tied with the EPL)
    12) Europe would be on the verge of losing out on a WC qualification spot in spite of its teams winning 4 of the next 5 WCs

4. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    1 is interesting, in 1995 it was already a bit visible that their cycle was at the end and they became financially challenged around that time. But seen from that date the rewards in the 10 years after appear lowish.

I doubt whether 7 was a greater heartbreak. Did we see massive suicides and massive overconfidence before the game was played?

4, 6 and 10 are, apart from the exact dates and the time period lapsed, to a smaller extent surprising.

5. Estel

Estel Member+

May 5, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think 1 is even more interesting when considering that Berlusconi would have a further 2 stints as the Italian Prime Minister serving for 8 of the next 20 years.

Regarding 7, I was just going by the scoreline. In any case, let's just say that in 1995, no one would have thought it possible that the next time Brazil host the World Cup they would be knocked out from it after being beaten 7-1.

6. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    It wouldn't be the first time that state funds are funneled towards a football club :laugh: Banana republic style.

7. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Some more random thoughts:

1) PSG as one of the richest club in Europe. They were known as the biggest under achiever in France, right?

2) Ballon d'Or is not the European Player of the Year award anymore. The most successful nations in the Ballon d'Or awards up to 1995 were Germany and Holland. Only one player from the two countries has won the award in the last 20 years. In 1995, Weah would win at the end of the year. So people would not be surprised that Brazilians and Argentine would be winning the award.

3) Scotland has not qualified for a major tournament since 1998.

4) The national teams of Gibraltar and East Timor.

5) Tahiti played in the Confederation Cup 2013.

6) Venezuala finished ahead of Peru, Bolivia and Paraguay at the WCQers.

7) Iceland was at the UEFA's WCQer playoff.

8. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Guadeloupe reaches the semi-finals of the Gold Cup in 2007.
    + Angloma scored twice: 1 goal against Canada in the 1st Round and 1 goal against Honduras in Quarter-finals.
    Guadeloupe is beaten by Mexico (well ok Mexico) in the Semi-finals, 1-0.
    (weird)

EvanJ repped this.
  9. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Iran is really without any chance as long as they face international embargoes.

Co-hosting is interestingly something that was literally forbidden in 1995, but it has happened since in 2000, 2002, 2008 and 2012. Although it is still not favored, officially at least.

Hosting of the Champions League finals, like the last four/eight teams itself, has increasingly gone to the larger countries. Of the last 10 (or 11) awarded finals (counting up til 2016) two are gone to a 'smaller' league (Athens 2007, Lisbon 2014).

10. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    What about stadium naming rights? Can't recall any venue being named for a corporate sponsor in '95.

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Qatar getting a WC was a surprise only 6 years ago too :ROFLMAO:

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Argentina and Germany going trophy less for that long is a pretty good one too.

giles varley repped this.
  13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    - All types of color boots ... boots were basically black back then ... I only remember Scifo wearing some red boots.
    - A couple of players scoring at 1+ GPG rate .... for many years (and they are not strikers).
    - A player breaking Pele's and Muller's scoring records.
    - Wingers who don't cross.
    - A player starting for the Brazilian NT in a WC playing in the MLS (Julio Cesar)
    - South Korea beating Italy and Spain in a WC knockout
    - Romario a Senator (and a serious one) :ROFLMAO:

giles varley and greatstriker11 repped this.
  14. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The European Championship in 2020 will be held in 13 cities in 13 countries, The dude in 1995 would reply: "I can't believe that they went back to the format 20 years ago in 1976."

Especially, Germany was reunified. Everyone in the early 1990's was imagining the player pool Germany had. By 1995, they already knew Thomas Doll and Sammer, who were very good.

15. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Semi finalists UCL since 09/10

14/15 Bayern, Barça, Real
    13/14 Bayern, Real (Barça ousted by finalists Atletico)
    12/13 Bayern, Barça, Real
    11/12 Bayern, Barça, Real
    10/11 Real, Barça (Bayern out by quarter finalists Inter)
    09/10 Bayern, Barça (Real out by semi finalists Lyon)

If you had predicted a similar pattern 20 years ago... (even when including Uefa Cup + CWC)

(can be temporary though, considering the new EPL television deals - a return to the 2005-2009 pattern?)

greatstriker11 repped this.
  16. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    I would have never believed that the U.S. would develop a profitable league with 20 clubs, soccer specific stadiums and overtake the popularity of American sports in certain cities. From an American perspective, this would have been pure fantasy land stuff.

17. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    it only overtook all-american traditional sports in cities with substantial Latin presence

bare in mind....:whistling:

18. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far in 2015, the Seattle Sounders are averaging 38.5% higher home attendance than the Seattle Mariners. The Seattle-Tacoma radio market is only 8.3% Hispanic.

Excape Goat and Pipiolo repped this.
  19. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nowadays soccer in the USA is not as dependent on Latin American following anymore. The solid performances of the USA NT at international tournaments, particularly the WC, over the last 20 years overall have attracted Americans from all backgrounds to the sport.

20. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I am not surprised with soccer's successes in America, but I did not expect the President of United States to get involved in the WC Finals held in Brazil. Back in 1994, President Clinton sent Al Gore in his place to the WC Final in LA. Twenty years later, President Obama posted a photo of himself watching the games, showed up at WC viewing party, called the USMNT during the WC Finals and even made a personal bet with the Belgian Prime Minister.

Pipiolo repped this.
  21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Then again, 20 years ago would have imagined an American president named Barack Obama ? :D

22. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    In 1993 and 1995, Mexico and the United States were invited to play in Copa America. Mexico came second in 1993, and the United States reached the semifinal in 1995. In 1995, I expected the United States to be fixture at the tournament for years to come. They just made a strong run. Copa America would be good for the USA and the USA would be good for Copa America. I also thought that the tournament would further expand into North America. I envisioned something that would become similar to Copa America 2016 in United States. Instead, the formation of Copa America in 2015 is still the same as 1995.

23. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Had Copa America become a tournament for Conmebol and Concacaf NTs, the next step would have been unified qualifiers to the WC, which Concacaf does not want as they fear at most two of their sides qualifying. However, with the recent emergence of Costa Rica and to a lesser extent, Honduras, they can offer a true challenge to make it out of a combined region.

Back then I though Jamaica was going to become the third best side from Concacaf, they made it to WC98 and it looked like it would be the springboard to more success, yet it remains the only WC they have qualified for to now. Ecuador finally made it to the WC (three times) since then having never made it before.

Excape Goat repped this.
  24. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    Ya, Portland and Seattle are crawling with Latins.......Good stuff....

25. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    20 years ago, I'd not believe that they would abolish the golden goal rule so quickly. Usually it takes very long before FIFA/IFAB change their minds and implement changes.
    I'd also not believe that other rule changes like (star) player protection and offside rules would be so effective, or perceived as effective (for ex. even Arsene Wenger said this on his discussion of 'greatest teams'). Next to allowances for increased substitution benches and an extra substitution to be made.
    And that it would need a repeat of the 'Wembley 1966 goal' to press through goal line technology, or any other technology.