You Stay Classy Kansas City..........

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by ojsgillt, Jun 10, 2011.

1. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    What do you want opposing fans who are our rivals to do? Come on, this is to be expected. You can have a negative opinion of them (I certainly do but for 13 years of reasons) but don't be surprised by it. Have we forgotten that we went to their stadium and showed them up on their home opener???

2. bmdubya

bmdubya New Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I expect too much out of people. You can be rivals, but still have class. I didn't think it was classy at all.

3. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect them to know when it is okay to act like rivals and when it is time to have some respect. There was a 5 minute window when they should have just shut up. It doesnt matter if there is a rivalry and how deep it goes, there are certain things you do not do.

4. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    I agree, I just don't ever assume Chicago fans are going for class so I don't expect it of them.

5. bmdubya

bmdubya New Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I learn something new every day haha!

6. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    And I think we're making too much of it. Then again I was in the north end and could hear just fine. My opinion may be different if my experience were different.

7. Chairman Mau

Chairman Mau Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Birdland
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    actually, the guy in the cow suit was getting "moo"s from our section, not boos.

8. Diego Pasley

Diego Pasley Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Lake Ozark, MO
    A couple of things:

I was in the cauldron. a MAJORITY of the bottles that came from east of the goal came from the bridge. After the first one was thrown I turned around to help police it and saw 10-15 come off of the bridge. Thats how they made it so far out. Running start and higher elevation. WHOEVER THE DOUCHEBAG IS THAT THREW ONE OF OUR FLAGS FROM THE MEMBERS STANDS, CONSIDER YOURSELF UNINVITED. The flag didnt clear the front row, luckily went between two people in the stands like a spear.

I had to apologize to some of the folks around me that were apalled at what was going on. One guy had been texting people all game about the great atmospher, then I watched and read as he texted about the appalling behavior of "the cauldron" trashing our brand new field. Unjust maybe, but that IS public perception.

Anyhow, I know it is likely no one on here threw anything. I dont personally think it was free ticket holders, just ahole wannabe hooligans.

As for the chicago fans, the ones at the hotel were actually decent folks. They were just there to have fun and several were from the KC area and just semi-fans. Please dont lump all of them in the same group. The ones I met at the hotel before and after the game were appreciative of our hospitality and new stadium. Maybe the bus was full of aholes, but like the cauldron and the beer bottles there are some good and bad in every bunch.

9. DirtyStriker

DirtyStriker Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Basehor, KS
    With where the bottles were being thrown, was anyone else worried about a stray one hitting Bravo? Dude was giving his all out there for us, and a few of those were within yards of him. I would of been crazy pissed if some douche hit right then.

10. matthias

matthias New Member

Jan 11, 2004
    opark ks
    Good Call. Alot of them came from the Bridge overlooking the Cauldron. I got pinged by a plastic bottle while shooting photos. I didn't see any regulars doing it.

11. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I literally did not hear a word from either Robb or Lance. Not a single word. I understand what was said probably wasnt a big deal but it is more about missing that moment. That was a huge moment and it was stolen. Everyone sitting near us was pissed. It just wasnt cool.

On top of that, what happened after the game definitely wasnt cool. They did what they could to try to start a fight but knew that because they were surrounded by security that nothing would really happen. It is like a guy talking shit and when someone stands up to him, he gets in his car and drives away. They would cowardly and they were all types of people around when they did that.

12. bmdubya

bmdubya New Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where were you sitting at? I was in the south stands, and I couldn't hear anything as well.

13. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    East Stand, Section 128. I am literally in the bottom row of the I right in the middle of it.

14. Storymassa

Storymassa Member

Sep 29, 2010
    The Beige Jungle
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I beg to differ. When the staff came out to pick up bottles, someone behind me launched a zinger right at one of the guys. It barely missed him. I think that's what was the nail in the coffin for me. I left the member's stand to watch the rest inside after that. I was too embarrassed to be there.

15. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love when supporters of other teams travel to KC. It always adds to the atmosphere and is a good time.

I would have been completely fine with our FO not allowing Section 8 purchase a block of tickets for the stadium opener. Precisely for the reasons that have been stated above.

It's the opener. It's for the fans of Kansas City. When I heard they were bringing a group down from Chicago, I thought, "Why the ******** would our FO sell a block of tickets to group of rival fans who are clearly going to spoil the experience for all the KC fans sitting around them?" Not to mention, the worst group of traveling fans in MLS.

It's one game where we could have just said, "Nope. You guys aren't allowed tonight."

16. kareemcheese

kareemcheese Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Olathe, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was definitely more beer being pushed at LSP than had been at CAB. Beer guys were all over and everywhere.

I miss the big lemonades at CAB.

17. WildcatWizard

WildcatWizard New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Manhattan, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The people complaining about trash just being thrown on the field must not have seen what was really going on in there. I was on the front row right behind the goal and throwing trash on the field was the least of the issues.

I really do like a crazy atmosphere so most of the stuff didn't bother me at all and my group happily stayed through the whole game, but throwing bottles and objects at hurt players on the field, cops, security guards, etc. is over the line and it did happen. Not to mention the verbal abuse they took from some fans for no reason.

As someone that had no part in building the cauldron, and only sit there on occasion when I'm looking to be a little crazy, I can brush it off and chalk it up to people being over excited and too drunk, but for the members that have put more into it I totally understand your disgust.

My only point is that if things need to be addressed, it first should be the issues that put people in physical danger, instead of trash on the pitch.

18. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here, that was a staple for me at pretty much every match.

19. tonythetard

tonythetard Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Topeka
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely had a hard time trying to buy something for my 7 year old to drink... and why can't I buy drinks from the same place I buy food in the members club? what's up with that?

20. Storymassa

Storymassa Member

Sep 29, 2010
    The Beige Jungle
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Probably to keep the beer lines flowing quickly.

21. kareemcheese

kareemcheese Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Olathe, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps the times are changing and the crowds are changing. I'm in for the entire season of course, but if LSP turns into a place I can't easily take my family, then I guess I won't be attending. I'm not talking about occasional swearing, or drinking - I'm not anti-liquor (although if someone pays $7+ for a Bud can they really be trusted to handle liquor?) , or the Cauldron (The group who has always added to the atmosphere) at the park. I'm talking about concessions and general game day atmosphere.

$4.50 for bottled water is ridiculous - you turn on the fridge the day before, hand it out during the game, and turn off the fridge in the 90th minute. $8 for a sandwich. People are only going to spend so much, so they just choose the beer only.

I hope it doesn't turn into an Chiefs Arrowhead. I'm not going to sit in the stands with vulgar idiots. Overall, the crowd was better in the cold rain at the US Open qualifier at Blue Valley.

22. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, this was disappointing, especially since--unlike at Kauffman Stadium--fans are not allowed to bring their own unopened bottles of water, and drinking fountains are few and far between. My son and I opted to share a $4.00 sno-cone instead.

23. kareemcheese

kareemcheese Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Olathe, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My 11 year old and I would split a $5 lemonade each half at CAB. I was just unimpressed with the concessions compared to CAB. We'll be parking by CAB for pre/post game tailgating/Panda Express/Taco Bueno as traffic clears rather than walking from D to LSP then to food then back to car in Nothingville D. I wouldn't want to park on the Speedway side - nothing else is there.

They need clearly defined and lighted walkway from/to D that doesn't require crossing the street except to the stadium.

24. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

I had words with the jerk in the cow suit after the game as he was being brought out by police from the east side of the stadium. *Disclaimer I am speculating* he sure didnt sound like he was from either kansas or missouri to me.

25. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    $8.50 for a beer is pretty crazy too. A cooler in the lot before hand will be fine for me from now on, thank you.