you go kid...keep at 'em

Discussion in 'Spirituality & Religion' started by msilverstein47, Jan 18, 2012.

1. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 person likes this.
  2. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for making my day! Both of you just wrote what I had wanted to say but didn't quite have the nerve...

5. Justin Z

Justin Z Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Club:
    Heart of Midlothian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, the comments in this article are some of the dumbest shit I've ever read. Christian privilege and persecution complex at its ugliest.

6. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what a funny guy you are. Christians should expect to be persecuted. unfortunately what many experience as persecution is merely the contemptuous attitudes of people who cannot accept that there is as much a place in contemporary society for expressions of spiritual worship as there is for secularity ( if that's a word ).

i read only the first page of the comments. not much substance, but not dumb.

7. Justin Z

Justin Z Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Club:
    Heart of Midlothian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no shortage of "spiritual worship" in this country. There are like eight churches within a mile of where I live. Athletes, actors, politicians all express religious sentiment quite freely.

I couldn't care less, really, about public school kids singing "God Bless the USA" because "God" is in it. It's technically unconstitutional, but ya gotta pick your battles. What's appalling to me is the issue people want to make of it, and you hit on it--Christians do "expect" to be persecuted, so they find a way to believe that they ARE . . . in a country where they're the 80% majority, in a country where there is a national freaking day of prayer, and where their ideology has infiltrated every last bit of our lives. As an example--a hundred bucks says 99% or more of the elected officials in Washington are Christian. Double or nothing that zero percent are atheist.

Incidentally, I've been waiting for you to reply to my response to your Dawkins post. Has it been in vain?

8. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    first of all, the notion that 80% of Americans are Christian is absurd. lots of people think they are Christian because their parents took them to church when they were young. they attend church of Christmas and Easter. they put a $5 bill in the offering plate.

Whoopie, twang!

my guess is that less than 50% of politicians are Christian. Statistically some must be atheist.

you owe me $200. ;)

there isn't any point in discussing the Dawkins video.

you think that's how it happened because the alternative is implausible to you. implausible = it couldn't have happened by an other method than some naturalistic cause.

Dawkins is not saying that the eye developed the way portrayed in the video. he is saying that it is possible that the eye developed that way.

it's possible it didn't.

the fallback that there were 10 gazillion mutations over the span of millions of years still doesn't overcome the hurdle of how life formed in the first place.

9. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nah. the constitution doesn't say anything of the sort.

10. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    So you think all the people who like to think of themselves as christian but aren't really, according to you, are part of the persecution of the 'real' christians?

The biggest fear of any religion is not being taken seriously. Once they can be openly questioned and even mocked and everyone thinks this is OK, the whole façade kind of slips away. So when a religion or it's memebers are questioned, curtailed in some way, mocked or just not listened to, they kick up a stink and call it persecution to try and stop it spreading.

I think this is a part of the reason religion is disappearing faster in western Europe than in America. We've been pretty much openly mocking and ignoring religion for quite a while and it's a bit difficult for a lot of people to take it seriously in that kind of environment I think.

1 person likes this.
  11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 open atheist, Fortney Hillman (Pete) Stark

http://www.michaelnugent.com/best/americas-top-two-elected-atheists/

1 person likes this.
  12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the President is Muslim right? :rolleyes:

This sounds like a true Scotsman argument.

Now, elected officials (Senate especially) are highly educated, so I would not be surprised that many of those that call themselves Christians are not religious or “secret” agnostic/atheist. But I would not say ½ of them.

I know there is 1 Muslim, 1 Atheist and a few Jewish in the congress, the rest are Christian, of those Christians I would Imagine 20-30% are just culturally Christians,

That would still leave around 65-75% in congress being Christians (even if you do not personally approve of their form of Christianity).

13. Justin Z

Justin Z Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Club:
    Heart of Midlothian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, that's exactly what it is.

And really, I should've said 99% "religious." Good catch on Pete Stark.

Then why'd you post it?

I'm going to start a new thread, because responding to this here would be off-topic.

14. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he told the woman at the well "neither do I condemn you, Go and sin no more."

He acknowledged what the woman did was sin. He didn't condemn her because the law condemns sin. (Paul goes into this in much details in Galatians, for one.)

Why is having a standard of behavior for employees, students, or people in general un-Christian? Jesus clearly has a standard of behavior for individuals. Cursory glances at the gospels make that very clear.

16. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    putting a pregnant woman out on the street with no medical insurance is yes, un-Christian...as for Paul, he's where it all went wrong.

17. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She knowingly engaged in behavior which was against the code of conduct in the contract she signed. She knew that working at a Christian school, there is going to be different expectations than at a public school. She made the choice.

If she had embezzelled money from the school, would it have been unchristian to fire her? If she had made anti-Semitic or racist remarks, would it have been unchristian?

Is it ever unchristian to fire anyone for any reason or should all churches/Chrsitian schools/synagogues have an "anything goes" policy of behavior for their employees so as to not be unchristian by firing them?

18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you don't even dare to address my comment...is putting a pregnant woman on the street with no severance pay and no medical insurance a christian thing? If so, good luck with that...

19. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're not addressing mine, either.

If an employee knowingly violates terms of employment, then, regardless of type of institution, they can expect to be fired. If a pastor of a church has an extra-marital affair, they can expect to be fired, even if their family is depending upon him for financial support. It's the same thing. In fact, by your reasoning, no one who ever claims to be a Christian could ever fire anyone, because the person who was fired has a family dependent upon them.

If you want to make the argument that the school should have waited until the end of the year and not renew, I guess we could discuss that. But this idea that being a true Christian or that Jesus wasn't concerned with actions is bunk. At the end of the day, she willingly violated the terms of her contract. It was her choice to do so and the schools responsibility to uphold the standards they expect. As far as medical insurance, every person, even when they're terminated with cause as this teacher, has a right to Cobra.

20. Justin Z

Justin Z Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Club:
    Heart of Midlothian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oscar Wilde has a simple repartee. "Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." This is exactly what these Christian school administrators are imposing upon her.

Embezzling money and making anti-Semitic or racist remarks have real-world consequences on others. Having a child out of wedlock, however, is a private matter.

21. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every single company has standards of behavior that generally don't allow for embarrassing the employer or bringing ill repute. Look at Bobby Petrino--that's a private matter and the University of Arkansas isn't even a Christian school. Any teacher or coach is a public figure, just on varying scales.

Does the woman bear any responsibility whatsoever for knowingly and willfully violating her terms of employment with the school?

22. Justin Z

Justin Z Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Club:
    Heart of Midlothian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because the issue is a "morals clause" you are constructing a strawman of this woman's side by loading your response--saying she has "knowingly and willfully violating her terms of employment." EEOC laws prevent employer discrimination on account of pregnancies or other medical conditions. There are undoubtedly thousands of women working at Christian institutions of all sorts that have been or become pregnant out-of-wedlock. Living in the 21st century, this woman likely had no reason to think her employer was living prior to the 20th.

So no, I don't even accept your question as valid with its inbuilt assumptions.

23. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the article:

"While Samford and her lawyer, Colin Walsh, are working toward filing a discrimination suit against the school, their case may be complicated by the fact that Heritage Christian Academy is a private school, and recent Supreme Court decisions have defended the right of Christian schools to exert more influence on their hirings and firings because they consider teachers to be "ministers in the classroom.""

24. Justin Z

Justin Z Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Club:
    Heart of Midlothian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm fully aware of the Supreme Court precedent seeing as I am in law school. My hope would be that Kennedy and the four non-theocratic justices would distinguish this because of the vagueness of the language of the "morals clause," but having been unable to locate the actual text of the clause, I can't speak to it one way or another.

25. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    which, of course, is the main problem discussing this topic, because only the school and the former teacher know the exact language in the contract.

Good luck in your studies.