YNT post-mortem: U.S. players born '93-'96

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 30, 2016.

1. augiechen7

augiechen7 Member

Aug 5, 2014
    San Francisco/Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't everyone at Stoke already a poorman's player?

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Not by the US measures, where Geoff Cameron is a richman's version of Brek Shea.

3. augiechen7

augiechen7 Member

Aug 5, 2014
    San Francisco/Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Touche

4. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    sacosta, alashe,thompson, zimmerman starting. jesse Gonzalez on the bench

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Sean Okoli with one hell of a goal in the USL last night.

Danny Garcia scored the first goal in USL San Antonio's history as well.

Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I've been thinking about this and I believe the most telling feature of this group is how much the '95s and '96s are overshadowing their seniors at a comparatively early point of their careers.

Typically, the numbers should veer much more to the 93's and 94's since they are at a stage of their career where their roles have solidified. For instance, Colombia had 3 younger players in their team and started one. We had seven and started 4 in one game and 6 in the other. That's not typical. Does this mean we are in the middle of a significant shift in talent generation? I think so.

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I really don't think we should be reading into YNT coaches player selection as a method to know if there's a big shift in talent. They aren't experts, even though they are paid to be.

butters59 repped this.
  8. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I suspect that if Hugo Perez came back to YNT we would have another wave of talents all of a sudden.

Pl@ymaker, xbhaskarx and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  9. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Put it this way, we got better than before but not nearly as good as our opposition. What good is it if their "roles" are solidified yet we get steamed rolled by the opposition.

10. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'm not really comparing to other countries. Instead I'm saying that there seems to be a lot of quality difference between those two age groups. Still to be seen what we'll get by 2022 yet the early returns seem clear.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Bryan Olivera, a '94 with a bunch of experience abroad who was at LAG2 last season, is now at NASL Ottawa on loan from Fluminense. He came on as a late sub on Saturday and was somewhat involved as a busy midfielder who was looking to make things happen.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Danny Garcia is doing so crazy things with San Antonio. Turning on the style............
    He reportedly had interest from other MLS clubs, but chose to stay in the state of Texas to be close to his family. He just had a son that was born 8 weeks premature.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Here's an interesting feature on Cristian Mata:

From literally digging ditches to having a bobblehead night in his honor on June 17, Tulsa Roughnecks striker Cristian Mata has seen his life’s journey come miles and miles in a very short time.

A former standout goal scorer at Union High School and the University of Tulsa, the 22-year-old native of Mexico said his soccer future has been reborn as a member of the United Soccer League Roughnecks, all while remaining close to home.

“I almost quit on myself and quit on soccer,’’ says Mata, who left TU to participate in a Seattle Sounders combine and then tried out unsuccessfully for a Mexican first division under-20 team. “I had to get a job, and I didn’t wake up a day without knowing I had to get back out there.’’
    http://gtrnews.com/greater-tulsa-reporter/14124/cristian-mata-comes-home-to-roughnecks

Winoman repped this.
  14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    725462735430029313 is not a valid tweet id

15. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    To whom? DCU? Orlando?

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Would Flores have to go thru an allocation type of process, even for a loan?

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Why is it a loan instead of a purchase? Maybe loan with option to buy?

18. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    Kljestan was going to go on loan to LAG for Anderle (I think) but MLS didn't allow it because he was subject to allocation. This was a while ago, it was a different MLS in some ways.

According to this article he's on 'the list.'

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/...er-rules-including-revised-player-acquisition

19. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I think so, assuming he's still on the Allocation List as a YNT player. I haven't seen an update to the list in a while.

EDIT: Here's an updated list as of this past March -- http://www.mlssoccer.com/allocation

Mario Rodriguez has replaced Marc Pelosi in the YNT list but otherwise it's the same group, including Flores.

Brotheryoungbuck repped this.
  20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    So the Fire are first in the allocation order? They might be able to use Junior.

Of course, I haven't seen Junior play in a long time. I'm not sure what role he'd play.

21. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally random but it's funny to me. There's an 80% chance? Like they are playing roulette to see if he can go

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  23. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pfeffer seems the classic case of an early maturer. He got big young and allowed him to compete with pros but just never got any better

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't know about that.

I always thought he was a guy the Union signed out of their academy (along with Jimmy McLaughlin) just because they wanted to sign somebody out of their academy. The same reason Houston signed Navas Cobo.

I mean, Zach Pfeffer played a bunch for virtually all of our youth teams. But can anybody list a bunch of impactful moments he's had for club and country since he was 18. I'd struggle with that.

25. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That may indeed be true. But I think another reason it is true is that he was pretty strong even as a 16 year old. He just never really improve any of his skills.