YNT in the PDL & NPSL (and perhaps other high-amateur leagues of interest) 2016 thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Last year's thread: http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/ynt-in-pdl-npsl-asl-2015-thread.2019976/

Don't know how useful this will really be, and the seasons don't particularly ramp up until much later in the year. However, I did see news of a NPSL combine, so I figured might as well start the thread now:

Eskay, an Urbana graduate who just finished his collegiate career at William & Mary, found out he was one of 64 players invited to the National Premier Soccer League Second Annual Combine Tournament scheduled for Jan. 8-10 in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
    http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sp...cle_1684403e-62c2-596f-87ca-7aa94b9df0e7.html

These leagues have become more potentially relevant to this forum as some pro teams, mainly in the NASL, have started second squads in the NPSL. MLS clubs, meanwhile, are moving their adult amateur squads to the USL-affiliated PDL.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Semi-relevant, NPSL Miami United has apparently signed Adriano.

THAT Adriano.

blacksun and Peter Bonetti repped this.
  3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  4. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    Never really paid much attention to these leagues, so excuse my ignorance, but seems weird they're starting now. I have class until next Tuesday, and none of my friends from home have gone home yet. So isn't it hard for these kids to be starting now, or do they ussually play for teams next to their schools... Or am I missing something?

5. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of the players in these leagues play in school too or are in school. So they play mostly during the summer when school is out and such. Someone probably has a much better explanation, but that is what little I know from going to a few Georgia Revolution games.

6. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    No that's what I'm asking, these leagues seem purposed for collegiant athletes. They've started, but school is still in session.

7. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't it depend on the school? I know the colleges in GA are already out or are out this week.

8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    PDL and NPSL teams use a mix of players (local teen, local amateur, NCAA, other college, even pro in some cases). Presumably some teams are still waiting on some players to arrive.

9. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    Well some teams have already started it seems, and that would mean they will not have practiced with a full squad before the game this weekend if they get out this weekend. I personally, actually have my last class on Thursday but have things due until Tuesday and people here have finals as late as Monday, so that's really like missing two weeks. But I guess Dave's post clears it all up

Makes sense with such a small window of time.

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    NASL clubs with NPSL squads: Indy, NY, Carolina, Jacksonville, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa Bay. Other "clubs of interest" include Legacy 76 (are they connected to the would-be NASL ownership group in some way?) and Atlanta.

12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    My bad. Miami United is not Miami FC. Removed them from the list.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Is he going to do the same thing Haji did? He doesn't turn 18 until next April, so if he decides to do the same thing Haji did, I'd assume he stays at Cosmos for this season, is a free agent after the season, and then signs next April with Schalke.

14. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I was trying to find Cavillo or Velela, and I had saw nothing for them on the Cosmos game day thing, so I checked Cosmos B. I still didn't find them but I found Hanif.

15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #15 Dave Marino-Nachison, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    For what it's worth, the PDL lists '98 Elvir Ibisevic in its top 20 prospects.

http://www.uslpdl.com/top-prospects

There are other players of note further down. (And maybe others higher up I missed.)

And Abu Danladi is at #50, with his name misspelled.

16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    U20 pool player Mo Pineda made the PDL TOTW:

D - Mauricio Pineda, Chicago Fire U-23: Pineda helped the Fire U-23 earn four points in Week 10, and he was the key player in the team's 1-0 win against the St. Louis Lions on Saturday. The University of North Carolina signee scored the game-winner while helping the back line keep the shutout.​

17. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Not sure exactly the right place to put this, but interesting on a very young ('00 birth year I think) player in the PDL:

James Brighton certainly isn’t inclined to shy away from the big moment. But he understands his place, too.

So when a penalty kick was called in the dying minutes of last weekend’s Premier Development League game in West Virginia, the Hilton Head Island teen moved off to take up a position outside the penalty area. Surely one of his older Tormenta FC teammates would take the kick.

Then one of those teammates tossed the ball his way.

”Hey James, take it.”​

Read more here: http://www.islandpacket.com/sports/soccer/article88351012.html#storylink=cpy

Video at the link.