YNT-eligible MLS players: 2022 In-season thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by asoc, Feb 17, 2022.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think there were only two first teams debuts today.

Aziel Jackson (‘01)
    Bobby Pierre (‘02)

Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  2. Herewego2019

Herewego2019 Member

Stoke City
    United States
    Jan 23, 2019
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I’m going through these Open Cup games. I should have a report tomorrow

I’m about 25 minutes into this Chicago game and I’ve seen enough. We don’t fully appreciate how good Brian Gutierrez is. This guy is among the best 03’s in MLS IMO. I’m not predicting this, but if he’s one of the best players on the USMNT (or Mexican NT) in five years, I see the pathway.

4. ChiFan552

ChiFan552 New Member

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Dec 26, 2020
    I think Guti is a good player and can become a pretty good playmaker, but If you want to keep the same opinion as you mentioned, then don't watch the second half.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That’s true. He trailed off after that first 25 minutes where he was dominating, but he did draw a late penalty, so that counts for something.

I think on the balance though I didn’t think he had the level of talent he showed. I knew he was good and liked his tools, but I had never really seen him take over a game at a high level like this for even a small stretch. His game isn’t all the way there yet, but he has the raw ability to be a star.

Pl@ymaker, Common Lurker and gogorath repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I watched most of the Cup games that involved the young Americans. I'm going to include the games of the non-MLS teams here because there's little point in moving it to another thread for two games.

FCC: Harrison Robledo ('02) is a player I hadn't seen play in a while. I was a little surprised he's made it to MLS. He seems to have developed into a hard-working CM. He's small though and lacks great speed. He's a little like Frankie Amaya, who effectively played this role for this club a few years back, so I could see some of what the club likes in his game. Really hard working player with grit. Lacks physically/athletically, and technically he's probably average. Arquimides Ordonez ('03) wasn't bad either. Was playing as a striker. He's not going to be a difference maker, but a player that athletically belongs and can play as a winger or striker. He'll carve out a pro career as a role player in MLS or a USL journeyman type IMO.

DC United: Not much work for the two defenders that started, Jacob Greene ('03) and Hayden Sargis ('02) in this game. The team they played didn't attack much. I find it admirable that Greene so consistently plays on the right as a left-footed player (for a fullback). You rarely see that. Griffin Yow ('02) had a slightly above-average performance. It was the typical Yow performance. He pops up in some good attacking positions, he makes good decisions. He didn't influence any goals, but he's dangerous once he gets into the final third. There's a lack of any type of real dynamic impact to what he brings. He's small/slow, and not a big playmaker/dribbler/creative player. He'll probably contribute regularly for DC eventually, but right now he probably isn't more than a low-level sub/good USL player on merit.

The big impact came from the player we'd expect to have the big impact, Theodore Ku-DiPietro ('03). He was one of the better young Americans in these Cup games. He was excellent in the first half. He should've had two assists, potentially three, if it wasn't for terrible misses from his teammates. His fluidity dribbling and combining in the attack was beyond anyone else on the pitch. In the second half he took a shot that the goalie threw right into the path of a teammate of TKD's for a goal. He didn't get credit for an assist, but he directly created the goal. It probably wasn't deserving of an assist (more terrible GK'ing), but given how his teammates messed up attacking chances earlier, not coming out of this game with anything on the stat-sheet is pretty unfair. He was MOTM IMO, although he trailed off later in the game and started losing the ball.

Tyler Freeman ('03) was subbed in at the half. I didn't think he was allowed to play for DC United in the Cup because he's on a USL contract and not an MLS contract. None of this rise we've seen for Freeman the last few months should be surprising. He was not released by SKC because they believed he wasn't good enough. This was the season we should've been expecting a big breakout from him in MLS. That it's coming with DC is not expected, but I think he's more ready than Yow for MLS minutes. Freeman looked pretty good in this game. I hope a first team contract comes soon so we can see more of him for the first team. He's beyond USL, as I've mentioned numerous times this season.

Chicago Fire: Andre Reynolds ('01) put in a good enough shift at LB. He's not a difference maker, but I've liked his play the last year and think he's getting closer to being a starter for this team. He's played in the last three games for Chicago (154 total minutes), so his role is starting to increase. Missael Rodriguez ('03) didn't have much impact, but I thought he was used incorrectly. He was used as a LW in a 4-2-3-1. He's not a winger. He's a central striker or secondary forward. You aren't going to get the best out of him in that role.

Javier Casas ('03) did his usual job of about an average impact on the ball and off the ball in midfield. He was used more as a true #6 in this game. He's probably a #8 against higher level competition, but he was the second best among the kids and I think he's starting to earn a regular role with the first team (he's played in 3 of the last 4 games with 134 total minutes in those games). Sergio Oregel ('05) wasn't bad either. He looked noticeably stronger and more physical. He struggled a little last season in the reserves from what I saw with the increased physicality and athleticism of playing with older players. He didn't have a huge impact in this game and I think he's one of those players that is a positional tweener (suited very particularly as a double 8 in a 4-3-3), but my main question about his game he held up in that category, so I can't complain.

Brian Gutierrez ('03) was the best of the young players, and probably the MOTM. The first 25 minutes of the game he absolutely dominated, as I mentioned yesterday. He took over the game with his passing range in the #10 position, and he also had some nice runs with the ball. He's really talented. I've said a few times recently that I didn't realize how talented he was, but I think it's more improvement than a mistake in my prior assessments. This guy was not this good a year, two years, three years ago. After the first 25 minutes he wasn't as good, but he did draw a penalty late on, so that counts as an important second half contribution and the first 25 minutes was really that good that it could carry a MOTM performance.

Houston Dynamo: Brooklyn Raines ('05) had his usual dependable performance in midfield. The formation was a 4-3-3, but it was more of a 4-2-3-1. Raines was playing as a double 6. I thought it was encouraging that he translated the usual level of above-average performance in almost all regards for a midfielder to a game for an MLS team, even if it was only against a USL team. He's another I thought wasn't allowed to play first team games this season, but that may only be for MLS games. He did have one stupid play late on where he dangled a leg in his own box, and committed a penalty. It was saved though and his team won, so it didn't cost the team, but a learning experience for a young player that he can't be doing that.

San Jose: Cade Cowell ('03) was pretty weak. I was expecting a much better performance. He scored a penalty, but if I'm remember correctly he didn't even draw the penalty. They played a terrible team, and he had one of the weaker performances for his team. He was playing as a CF, but often tried to drift wide to little effect. They have a new coach and he probably did not benefit from how Almeyda tried to use him this season. Like a lot of those 03's, it would be good to see him really start to be a little more consistent.

Niko Tsakiris ('05) didn't have that much more involvement than Cowell, so I don't want to sound harsh towards Cowell and complimentary of Tsakiris when the performant level wasn't that much different, but we also should expect more of Cowell. Tsakiris did have a few very key moments. He scored a nice goal and he also drew a foul right outside the box that was dispatched for a free kick goal. That he's belonged in an MLS team this season is unexpected, and I think he's a player whose stock is rising, although I tangibly am not sure how high I think his ceiling is.

California United: The first of the non-MLS teams. They had a few younger players in their team, but I thought the only prospect was Marcus Lee ('06). I hadn't seen this guy play before, but he's been playing a lot and having an impact this season for this team. He's an attacking midfielder, potentially a winger, that brings energy, plays quickly, likes to dribble, and has a good combination of passing ability and soccer IQ. Is he a dynamic talent? I'm not sure? A kid like this is probably not going to have his tools look as good at 15 years old as he might if he was playing in the U-17's. He's on the radar, but I wouldn't say I'm convinced (or completely unconvinced) about him being one of the better 06's.

Louisville: Joshua Wynder ('05) didn't have his best performance. His passing wasn't as accurate and he lost the ball a few too many times. It was not too bad of performance though. I'm sure there will be a game this season where Wynder plays terrible because he's 16 years old in a competitive pro league and not some world prodigy, but the range of performances is really small. They range from slightly below average to above-average, yet most of them are from slightly above average to above-average. This was a slightly below-average performance, but I'm impressed how the ineffective games aren't really all that bad.

Orlando: Thomas Williams ('04) had an above-average performance. The obvious strengths of his game are his combination of athleticism and ability to pass the ball. He's very two-footed, a good passer, and he's an above-average athlete. He wasn't tested that much and I still do think he's sometimes a step too slow with his processing of the game defensively, but he's starting to become less and less raw. I think Orlando has developed this guy extremely well. They let him dominate in the U-17's, then he played for the U-19/reserves enough until he was playing at a consistent enough level with that team, and now they are gradually introducing him into the first team. This is how it's done. They could've easily ruined him, like many teams do with raw players, but I think they deserve a lot of credit. Williams probably is not ready for regular minutes, but I think he belongs in a Cup game at this point and potentially low-pressure MLS minutes.

Real Salt Lake: Bode Davis ('02) did his defensive job at RB. He's switched to RB over the last year, and the switch didn't always go well, but it looks like he's learning how to defend. I had no gripes about his defending in this game, which is good, although the competition wasn't the best. He didn't attack much, which might be due to him focusing on the defensive game, but if the defensive game becomes consistent he could have an average or slightly better impact offensively.

Bobby Pierre ('02) started the game with some giveaways, but was pretty good after that. He's an athletic CB that can pass the ball at an average or slightly better level. I think consistency with his defending is the biggest obstacle. His defending was good in this game, but the competition was weak. I'm not sure it'd hold up against better competition. Then again, RSL has had CB problems all season and isn't getting great production from that position, so he may be due a start in an MLS game.

Jaziel Orozco ('04) came on in the second half, and did most things well. His passing was good and he made some defensive plays. The one area where I worry the most about his game I thought he was slightly exposed. It may be harsh, but he tied up a guy for a header in the box, and it popped right to a player on the other team that scored the winning goal. Does a taller CB win that header? I think they might. I think in a back 3 he has value, but I'd be worried about using this guy as a CB in a back 4 in a game that matters. He could probably be a credible DM or RB, but I'm far from convinced about his ability to play CB in a 4, especially given what I saw last season in USL.

Chris Garcia ('03) was the best of the young RSL players. He was one of the better players in this game. He started at RW, although moved to LW late on. He was creating most of the dangerous chances for RSL. They needed more players with some attacking impetus to how they played. I've been worried the last year that I was wrong in my assessment of Garcia. He had a pretty unsuccessful 2021. I thought I may have overrated him, but what I saw in this game was very encouraging. The ability to beat players easily with his acceleration is still there. He's faster than anyone he goes against, but he also showed some improved decision making with his combinations. He even put in some nice crosses. It's not all 1v1 play trying to dribble past the whole team. The end product wasn't there, but he had little help and there weren't very many bad decisions or too much frantic play (my main criticism in the past).

8. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Why *did* SKC release Freeman?

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don’t think it’s right for me to go into. I’m not trying to cause trouble for these kids or clubs. I think the reasons I’ve heard are fair. He went to Germany on loan. Things didn’t improve, so club and player parted ways.

10. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

Pl@ymaker and TheFalseNine repped this.
  12. Yesterday Gutierrez was about par for a poor Fire team. He played 120 minutes Tuesday night, but 9 of the other 10 Fire starters did not have that reason to suck.

Victor Bezerra & Andre Reynolds II were unused subs so I would expect them to play in the Fire II match against Philly this evening. Brady, Casas Jr., Oregel Jr., and Justin Reynolds are with their respective USYNTs today through next weekend. Casas and maybe also Oregel could be recalled to the Fire to fill out a thin central midfield corps depleted by Fede Navarro's send off yesterday. Per usual, I will be heckling opponents and referees from the stands tonight. ;)

13. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slonina and Gutierrez both struggled.

Slonina was shaky handling and passing out of the back. It contributed to the first goal against. He maybe could have done better stopping that one. The second one he kind of picked himself on it and then didn't cover the open spot in net.

As for Gutierrez, he didn't show poise in the final 3rd. Draw the defense and time a pass just before the defender gets to you, or just release it as early as possible. He was caught in-between minds, which is the worst place to be for a footballer.

Gabe's going to be a virtually made man there. So it's just something to keep an eye on for his future prospects, and for him to work on.

But when it comes to Brian, I fear that was a major missed opportunity, that's going to lose trust from the manager, that he's going to have to regain off the bench again.

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Pl@ymaker and WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I didn’t think either were that bad, but I agree both were below average.

Gutierrez had some good plays, but too many misplaced passes and not enough attacking input, although that was the whole team.

Slonina looked shaky. Nothing too terrible, but he looked like a 17 year old against first division pros. He’s also had a number of instances this season (including in this game) where he was bailed out by a foul or an offside for what would be an error leading to a goal or very good chance to score. I don’t think he’s been terrible this season, but people flaunt these shutout numbers and they look deceiving from the games I’ve seen. Chicago’s defense has been rock solid this season (except this game). Slonina has had almost nothing to do.

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Williams held his own in his half for Orlando. Hopkins had a nice run that almost led to a goal for DC, but he probably held the ball too long. Otherwise quiet in his sub appearance. TKD continues to play extremely well when he plays. He needs to get more minutes.

Winoman repped this.
  18. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    #343 WheezingUSASupport, Apr 26, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
    I agree on Slonina. In the previous game against LA there were 0 shots on target, 2 games before that FC Dallas had 1 shot on target.

Anyways, I’m still excited about a 17yr old starting at a position that is extremely young to get first team minutes at. He doesn’t look to be at a MLS level yet but hopefully the first team experiences accelerate his development. If he keeps getting minutes, then becomes a dominant MLS keeper in 2-3 years, and then gets sold to a mid-level team in a top 4 league and becomes a starter I’ll be very happy.

Yes there could be other young US MLS keepers more deserving of minutes than Slonina but we should still be happy with his situation as long as he doesn’t switch to Poland.

17yrs old is also too early to tell. Different positions but it isn’t like McKennie looked like he would become the player he has been this season when he started getting minutes for Schalke. Conversely Llanez looked like he was developing into a strong talent at 18/19 and then fizzled out.

butters59 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  19. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is really harsh. He's already at MLS level. His xg +/- in his both his seasons is above average. He can stop a shot pretty well and commands his area. Mostly needs work with his distribution, but that's a small % of the game in comparison.

There aren't any young keepers who are more deserving of a chance. Celentano may be more advanced and well-rounded. But he just got to Cincy and now seemingly they're going all in on him.

Which other young keepers do you think could post above average xg +'es if given a chance? Romero got his shot last year and was very bad. Marcinkowski's been a mediocre starting gk by the same #'s.

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Is he even the best young GK on his own team? A number would say no.

Also, Marcinkowski suffers because the team in front of him is really bad. Those numbers may try to account for it, but they can’t yet always account for what is good and bad goalkeeping. While I wouldn’t say Slonina has been bad, it may be a little of the opposite with him playing behind a great defense.

21. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    He is a good prospect, as an MLS keeper he is about average for Americans, not enough information to compare him to other kids, so I'm assuming that he is ahead of everyone as of today. The thought that he might take any minutes from a few keepers that need to be tested before the WC bothers me a lot. That's not just distribution, he has no ideas about high ball trajectories, and that won't be fixed in the foreseeable future.

22. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't know for sure, but this is like how the backup QB or the younger brother is always perceived as better by some. Slonina has holes in his games, but he's physically and mentally mature beyond his years. It would be difficult for Brady to acclimate himself as quickly, even if he was as good as a prospect or better long-term. It is telling that Slonina and Brady were the same age and experience level and Slonina got the nod. And Brady seems to be the consensus next best domestic academy keeper prospect. They just happen to play on the same team.

Marcinkowski also suffers because he's small, not very athletic, or good at positioning. FWIW, he sucks at stopping penalties when no defense is in front of him. His strengths are distribution, reflexes, & assertiveness. It's taken him this far, but he's probably not a keeper w/ a ceiling of being one of the best keepers in MLS, let alone the pool, unlike Slonina about is already, with a lot of years, and potential to grow.

23. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It says as much about our present keeper pool, as it does about his present and future prospects, that he's already in the mix.

We've already seen enough from Steffen and Turner. Steffen's terrible for a USMNT keeper and Turner's decent but possibly even worse than Slonina at distribution. So that warrants a look, in addition to his dual national threat, to bank him for the future.

A good majority of minutes could go to Horvath and nobody else, be it Slonina or the rest of the pool which is pretty uninteresting at this position. We should enjoy enough a test during this time period to be sufficient at keeper between Horvath and Turner.

Incidentally, I haven't seen the problem with high shots or claims that you have. I perceive this as a strength, because of his size and alertness. He used to have problems getting down to stop balls because of his size, but it seems he's worked on this.

If I had to critique his shot-stopping, which is still a plus, it's that he over-commits to guarding the near post, making him predictable. First thing you're taught is to cut off the near post. So he's playing it fundamental. But could find a better balance. That's something that should come w/ a moderate amount more experience.

The longer-term concern is his uncomfortable handling and pass control/vision. That's something that for the foreseeable future would be a knock. But like I said isn't a drawback vs. Turner, Horvath, or really Steffen much at this point.

24. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    No, he is just very poor, the size and alertness is irrelevant as he doesn't know where the ball go. Watch the clips of Orlando game (which I've been accused of overposing) where it happened 3 times. This is btw is a major Horvath issue as well. And I'm sure he spent thousand hours dealing with that, it's getting less conspicious, but still a weakness. I don't care the state of our keepers, you don't take this kid to the WC, and correspondingly don't give him minutes before that.

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Via @bshredder, interest from Belgium and Denmark in Yow.

http://www.americansoccernow.com/ar...he-summer-transfer-window-who-moves-who-stays

WheezingUSASupport and Winoman repped this.