YNT-eligible MLS players: 2021 In-season thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TarHeels17, Apr 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    I would expect him to get a Gold Cup call up. Who else would GB call ahead of him from MLS?

2. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Releases for the GC are mandatory.

3. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Depends which position Berhalter sees Busio.

Flach and Sands are certainly worthy as 6s also.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  4. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    While true, technically, Bayern could say, “Justin come fight for a spot this pre season and skip this tournament” and he would skip.

5. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Bild is reporting that Richards will be at the GC. I don’t see them trying to persuade Che to stay either if he’s called. Bayern usually sees value in playing int’l competition.

gogorath repped this.
  6. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Also, do people think Che is being bought to compete at Bayern this season? Unless something really strange has happened over the last six months, he's not.

7. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think that Germany would be playing Che in any type of cap tying match in the next 3-5 years? If so then yes we should cap tie him now, but the most likely case is that he won’t be at that level that soon so there’s no need to drop the level of the gold cup team to cap tie a teenager who arguably wouldn’t even start for FC Dallas currently

Che also isn’t realistically getting minutes at Bayern at best for 2 years. In the event that Bayern need a first team CB before then they’d more likely use Richards instead

8. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    As I’ve said in other threads about this player, let’s revisit this in a year. He could very well make a Bayern appearance in that timeframe. And as we all know, if you have a German passport, and play for Bayern, you’re gonna be wanted by the dfb....

hence the need for a predatory cap tie!!

but I do understand the need to call in the likes of Kessler and justen glad for the gold cup! Can’t pass up those reps for those high quality players.

9. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #759 David Kerr, Jun 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    And if he’s wanted by the dfb, unless he turns out to be a legit prodigy CB, he would be part of their upcoming u20’s and not get a sniff of their senior team, especially in a competitive match. There is no reason to predatory cap tie a player who is not close to being ready to being called up by another federations senior team. Even a year from now it will still be too early. Justin is a pretty good center back prospect on the level of Chris Richards but not the level of warranting a Germany senior call up in the next 3-5 years

This is not a Dest situation, we should not be considering making a 17 year old who is very distant to the senior international level make a permanently binding choice now. Especially when the player has minimal ties to his German heritage and was born and raised in the USA

don Lamb repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    There's also players like Durkin, Johnny, Booth, Tessmann.

Do we even know what position Berhalter thinks Busio should play? There are a lot of uncapped options for the #6 position and other CM positions. Hopefully we see a few of them at the Gold Cup instead of of players like Bradley and Roldan.

Winoman, ielag and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Kreis is just so terrible

12. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Lol he was literally called into the senior national team camp last month. “Very distant to the senior international level” is objectively wrong.

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    If Chris Richards is at the Gold Cup, I can't envision that squad needing Justin Che anyway.
    The purpose of the Gold Cup is to vet players that can help in WCQing. That's not Che right now.

Richards, Robinson, Zimmerman.
    I'd love one of CCV and EPB to round out the quartet.
    If they're not available, then one of the MLS U23s to round out the group (Glad, Kessler, Pineda, Pines, etc.)
    We don't need to take Justin away form training at Bayern to sit on the bench at the Gold Cup.

This is why sometimes I think those USMNT camp callups for certain 17 year olds don't do the players any favors. Don't get me wrong. I like the kids having the experience. But all of a sudden it seems a huge swath of USMNT fandom huge expectations for Justin to the point that they think he's USMNT caliber right now. Justin probably has two years to go before he's ready. Chris Richards didn't even debut for Bayern II until he was 19.

USMNT fandom has to take a deep breath and let the player develop at the right pace. We have CB talent. Plenty of it. We don't need to rush Justin Che.

Attacking players that are 17 and excelling in first team soccer, I don't have an issue with calling up. Cade Cowell for instance. Cowell isn't costing the USMNT a game.

onefineesq repped this.
  14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    They are also setting Che up to fail. 75% of these people that see all this news about him have never seen him play.

News flash, if a top 20-30 prospect in an age group has easy access to an EU passport and plays at a club with a working affiliation program to a good club in Europe, they’d be in the same situation. That doesn’t make Che better than he is. Let the kid develop. People suggest Bryan Reynolds was overrated and not ready to play for the USMNT or Roma based off what he showed for FCD.

What do they think will happen with Che? Does he magically become the best ‘03 defender in the world? There are exactly 0 of those playing in any top league in the world. Che probably isn’t even ready for more than a back up role with FCD.

onefineesq and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I just think there's a segment of USMNT fandom that now expects the timeline of Pulisic and Reyna to apply to all of our prospects. Those kids (debuting at 16 at big clubs) were special cases. McKennie didn't get regular time for Schalke until he was 19. That timeline will apply to most cases.

I actually think if Che had stayed at FCD, he would have made a debut this season.
    They have next-to-no CB depth. Supposedly Nelson had been training at CB a little recently.
    But of course FCD ain't Bayern Munich.

16. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a huge difference between getting called up as a prospect in a friendly camp, and getting called up as an expected contributor in a competitive window. This also applies to when young players get early minutes at clubs when they more often than not are clearly not quite ready yet

Justin Che is a very good center back prospect. He’s about the same level of potential as Chris Richards and Mark McKenzie. But at 17 years old in a position that historically trends and peaks older there is no reason to rush him into a competitive senior national team tournament before he has even made a first team debut in MLS.

With the majority of our international windows from now on being competitive, Justin should exclusively be with the u20’s unless something happens and he emerges as a top 5 CB prospect world wide for the 2003 age group. Germany likely will have the same mindset

17. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    kind of amzing that it took months back in brazil to wash the kreis stink off him

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I’m also not going to say this is bad for Che. I think it always helps a player’s career to have a big club invested in your development. That will be an advantage Che has going forward that other players won’t have. I think everyone does need to take a step back though in assessing Che. Let the kid develop. We’ll see if he pans out. He’s not a Pulisic. He’s not even a Chris Richards.

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    They’ve changed coaches a few time. The coach that got fired two days ago wasn’t using him much.

20. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    This is all going back and forth now. But...

Name the last 17 year old, who at that point hadn’t played for his club team (assuming Che to Bayern is official) to get called in to the national team camp.......

there is literally no harm in calling him in to the gold cup, to continue to let him know how serious ussf is about him.
    /topic

21. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I get the point you're trying to make, but my guess is its Chituru Odunze. That might be wrong, but I think saying that Che will be good solely for this reason is missing why he was called up in the first place, especially since he didn't see the field.

frankburgers repped this.
  22. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wouldn’t hurt to bring him in as a training body like what we did with Dike for CNL, but Justin Che is not ready to be on a roster in a competitive cap tying tournament and it would be a poor competitive decision to do that. The only 2003’s who have an argument right now are Cade Cowell and Caden Clark and maybe Jonathan Gomez due to the left back pool being so shallow

frankburgers repped this.
  23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    ..........................and I don't think Gomez will be there either.

Che was at that USMNT camp in Switzerland due to the proximity of Munich to St. Gallen.
    It was a great opportunity to bring him into training and to give him a taste of what being an international player is all about. It WAS NOT a sign that he's viewed by the staff as a USMNT option at this point.

24. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    We can also slow down on the idea that Germany is going to poach Che any minute now.

25. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

While I don’t think Justin Che is quite ready for a USMNT call up, Gianluca Busio is the exact case study of when a young player is USMNT ready without yet jumping to Europe

Busio is a consistent standout from game to game, developing real quality in his position that europe is vying for, and to help Busio’s case we are extremely thin for options. Regardless of the Italy pressure Busio deserves the call up based on merit from his play as a 6