YNT-eligible lower-division pro players: 2019/2020 Offseason thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 18, 2019.

1. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    These guys were starting at the WC ahead of Booth and Vassilev, while Llanez didn't make the team. That's U-17 teams for you.

WheezingUSASupport and gogorath repped this.
  2. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always a lot tougher for the odd birth year players like the three you mentioned to make their mark among a pool that is, in the U17 context, a massively crucial one year older.

TarHeels17, ussoccer97531 and don Lamb repped this.
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think leaving off Llanez was more acceptable than people are now stating. That attack was extremely good. Weah wasn't even starting every game, and there were a few good options (at the time) off the bench. Llanez was considered good, but he hadn't broken through to the extent that he has now.

Not starting Booth was much more egregious, IMO. I try not to operate this analysis in hindsight, which is why I'm not critical of the Llanez decision. I was saying at the time that Booth needed to start over Ferri/Acosta in midfield, and pair with Goslin. I was saying it from WCQ all the way through the U-17 WC. I think this was probably the biggest error Hackworth made with his lineups throughout the cycle.

TarHeels17 repped this.
  4. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. No one really complained about Llanez being left off at the time. If there were complaints, it was more about Akinola being on, and even then his production was usually always there.

Also, it was a Bradenton cycle. It's hard to get mad when Hack mostly chose the right guys and had to choose most of them right after their U15 cycle. I think most people were just happy not to see AJ Vazquez too much.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  5. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I don’t think anyone is second guessing. It’s just more reinforcement that the the U17 team rarely ends up contributing more than 2-3 players to the national team.

There’s just a ton of development that occurs past 16.

butters59 repped this.
  6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    ... and they go in the other direction with Engebretsen, a Norwegian (though, from what I can tell, with no relatively big Norwegian academy experience) '96 who put up big numbers as a senior at St. Mary's. With that said, maybe it's a good thing from an American perspective that guys like him are getting their first shot at NTSC rather than taking up MLS roster spots.

8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    American '00 Jeremy Rafanello returned home from the FC Helsingor project to sign with Indy Eleven.

Luksarus repped this.
  9. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was quick.

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    FC Tucson signed American '98 Adrian Valenzuela, a college player.

autobus39 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    NISA Cal United says it's given a pro contract to an '04 named Shane Kaemerle:

Fast forward to present time and the 15-year-old attacking midfielder is on the field holding his own with the seasoned professionals of the California United Strikers team. They are in preparation for the 2020 National Independent Soccer Association (NISA) season, with high hopes of another championship. Kaemerle has just been given a professional contract and an opportunity to follow his dreams. Now, after spending six months of training with the team of pros, Kaemerle has shown that he certainly belongs among the best soccer products of Southern California. ​

https://www.calunitedstrikers.com/n...ted-strikers-sign-15-year-old-shane-kaemerele

http://strk.ussoccerda.com/sam/teams/index.php?team=1654041&player=57661513

12. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    '99 Aedan Stanley was in training with Timbers 2 today. He says in his IG bio he's now a Portland Timbers 2 player.

'97 Jesus Perez, drafted by NYCFC, has joined Tacoma Defiance.

autobus39, TarHeels17 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  13. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Interesting.

Surprised if he was going to sign a USL deal he wouldn't do it with his hometown team in St. Louis. (He came up thur their academy).

Could play with them for a couple years then matriculate to MLS when the team moves up.

15. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. NoHammiesAltidore

United States
    Jun 28, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He posted on his Instagram story yesterday about his high school playing in a state championship game today, that is likely it.

dougtee and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    North Texas beat El Paso 1-0 in their pre-season scrimmage today.

starting XI for North Texas:

Carlos Avilez
    Pedro Concieo
    Alisson Do Santos Correa
    Nicolas Scargle
    Imanol Almaguer
    Diego Guttierez
    Gibran Rayo
    David Rodriguez

Anders Engebretsen
    Oscar Romero
    Alex Bruce

I leave you with this disturbing image of the new El Paso mascot.

18. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like Scargle is a '01 CB who most recently was playing DA ball for Chargers in the Tampa area.

19. zlebmada

zlebmada Member

United States
    Jan 16, 2018
    Not sure but I did hear Fabrizio Bernal, an '03 attacker (credit to @ussoccer97531 for the heads up on him) "played 35 minutes for SAFC last night against Orlando city MLS and was fantastic"

20. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice first name:thumbsup: I don't know anything about him. San Antonio has a lot of young talent apparently, wish they were playing in MLS.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  21. zlebmada

zlebmada Member

United States
    Jan 16, 2018
    It turns out Gallegos was playing in the Texas state championship yesterday and scored two goals in a 2-1 win. Both goals in this thread.

Winoman, dougtee, Peretz48 and 2 others repped this.
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He's a trialist apparently. North Texas only has one true CB on the roster, academy product Philip Ponder. With both Brecc Evans and Calum Montgomery being loaned out, this a big area of need. In theory Nico Carrera would have filled this spot in 2020.

23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    The Rapids loaned "Honest" Abe Rodriguez and "Presumably Honest, I Haven't Heard Otherwise" Sebastian Anderson to Colorado Springs.

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    NTSC playing Tulsa right now. First Eddie Munjoma sighting with NTSC this season. It would be interesting to know Luchi's thoughts on Munjoma versus Nelson versus Reynolds right now in terms of Cannon's backup on the first team. Right now its 1-1 with the NTSC goal coming from Dante Sealy.

Pl@ymaker repped this.