YNT-eligible lower-division pro players: 2019/2020 Offseason thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Arantes

Arantes Member

Fluminense
    Brazil
    Dec 4, 2018
    I wouldn't be surprised if Solar resisted Josh trying to break his academy contractual obligations mid-season. Even if that were the case, Solar wouldn't block a Sporting transfer but be okay with San Antonio FC one.

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree with your latter point. I had heard that the former point was the point of contention about Ramsey moving last summer. Done too late for the club's liking. It was before any of the games had started, but the season had already begun, and I suspect the player-agreement was already signed. I would've let him move because I think Solar needs to see the bigger picture and let a player that age better his development, if he thinks thats best done elsewhere.

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  7. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think FC Dallas and Solar are letting their competitive juices hamper their judgement on kids. I’m sure both have reasons but once kids are ready for pro seals coaches should as professional as possible and tell kids how it is. If that means FCD is the best choice for a bit then they should say that. And FC Dallas needs to do something ( not sure what) for local teams when they sign one of their kids to a pro contract. If Solar ever gets their own adult teams my opinion would be different. But then I also think it’s not all bad to play a year or two with an MLS team and move when you’re 19-21 and an established starter instead of just a prospect. We shall see where Cannon ends up but he’s exactly what I’m talking about. Would he have been better off going straight to a random Bundesliga team like Llanez did instead of Fall season at UCLA and then 2.5 years at FCD?

8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I have no idea if Cannon would walk into a solid Bundesliga team as a starter, but anyone arguing the hypothetical case is arguing against a situation where he's heading abroad at 22 pretty firmly entrenched in the U.S. top 30, somewhere at #1-#3 at his position with the MNT, with three productive pro seasons under his belt. Unless he ends up at a team way above his level, surely he'd be in the mix for the first XI. There will always be cases that go this way or that but so far, things have gone pretty well for him.

TarHeels17, ussoccer97531 and Winoman repped this.
  9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    If your main reason for watching this thread is for Gallegos news, San Antonio plays next on July 17th.

Pl@ymaker and WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  11. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think (don't hold me to the "who") Lucci told a group at the pre-season tailgate that if a players family moves to a new territory the player can change academies. I don't remember if there's a period they have to wait before they're eligible to play. That might answer why a few players have been able to change. Most families can't just up and move because so their kid can change amateur academies but Lederman's parents went to Spain and Pulisic's dad went to Germany (but after he was signed).

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    https://redbullhub.net/2020/07/08/new-york-red-bulls-ii-usl-championship-return-to-play-preview/

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  14. NoHammiesAltidore

United States
    Jun 28, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sandon Mibut and Balerion repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    That's also what it says on the team's roster.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  17. NoHammiesAltidore

United States
    Jun 28, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It appears that Birmingham Legion have signed a late '02 named Braxton Najib, no word if its a pro or amateur deal. He played for RSL's academy as well as Pateadores in the past. It looks like he was training with Orange County in the spring based on his Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/braxnaj11/

Luksarus and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  18. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I didn’t realize USL was coming back today. Have I not been paying enough attention or did others see this?

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    First game of the day is Real Monarchs vs. San Diego. The Monarchs don't tend to use that many academy kids in USL.

Jeff Dewsnup ('04) is on the bench for Real Monarchs. If he wants (and doesn't prefer Europe instead), I'm sure he'll be signing a HG contract within the next year. It'd probably be best to spread things out, and not have two YNT keepers competing with each other for the same eventual starting spot.

Zack Farnsworth ('02) and Bode Davis ('02) both are starting. Two good academy level players. Maybe they amount to something after a few years of college soccer. Not high level prospects though IMO. Devin Vega ('98), a former highly rated FCD academy player, is also among the YNT-eligible starters. I always thought he was very talented, and could've amounted to a good player (present tense, as well).

Nothing interesting on the San Diego side from my perspective, although I admittedly don't know their roster as well.

20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Is there a running list of US YNT eligible kids on USL rosters right now?

21. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carleton starts for Indy vs Saint Louis.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #348 ussoccer97531, Jul 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    Big name here is Wiley. Pretty good player IMO. Matthew Edwards is a newer recruit to the Atlanta academy, so he might be as well. I also like Reilly and Reyes.

Liked how this guy played at the Nike Friendlies. Looks a much improved player this year. One to watch out for.

1281716413393240077 is not a valid tweet id

I think I've mentioned this before, but look how fast he closes on the ball. It frightens defenders. They know that they cannot show him the ball, otherwise he's taking it from them, and they have no chance to catch him.

Luksarus repped this.
  23. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s very long and the Olympics delay is only making it worse!

This is the season when every random USL signing out of a college is YNT eligible.

24. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad Toure’s soccer IQ is abysmal and his ball skills are sub par. Outside of speed I don’t see it with this kid. He isn’t the prospect he was 2 years ago.