Yet another SWP article.

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by Frankfurt Blue, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/story/0,6903,1404058,00.html

One afternoon in the summer of 1998 Shaun Wright-Phillips was told by his club Nottingham Forest that he had no future in football. The head of the academy, Paul Hart (later to become the club's manager), suggested that the teenager had found travelling from London difficult, but there seems little doubt that the real reason for Wright-Phillips's failure was his size. He is, today, at 5ft 5in, the shortest player in the Premiership - and yet also the most exciting, with an estimated transfer value of £20million, and rising.

'Forest basically said I was too small and wouldn't make the grade,' Wright-Phillips says. 'Fortunately my Mum and Dad and a lot of friends encouraged me, so I put my head down and tried again... You only live once, I don't have the time to get upset. I'm not the sort of person to entertain doubts or dwell on negative comments from other people in any case. I always try to think positive and move forward.'
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just a snippit. Click on the link and read the rest for yourselves.

2. kingkev

kingkev New Member

Dec 30, 2003
    South Carolina
    and a damn good one as well...it had depth, a rare change for english sport media

3. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    Am I good to you City fans, or what? Saves you having to surf through the dross to get the articles. :)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4240637.stm
    Shaun Wright-Phillips will be happy to kick-start his England career out of position in Wednesday's friendly.
    The Manchester City winger is tipped to make a first senior international start against Holland - on the left flank.
    The 23-year-old usually plays on the right but said: "I just like to cause problems for defenders and it does not matter to me what side I'm on.
    "As long as I'm on the pitch I'm happy - and once I'm happy I play with a lot of confidence."
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

hmmm. I know who most would prefer to have playing on the right wing.

4. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    Looks like he will be playing on the right. :eek:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4246397.stm

England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson has revealed Shaun Wright-Phillips will start against the Netherlands.
    But Wright-Phillips will not make his first start for England playing on the left, as had been widely expected.
    "Probably Shaun Wright-Phillips will start to the right," said Eriksson. "But I'm not going to put Wright-Phillips to the left."

5. kingkev

kingkev New Member

Dec 30, 2003
    South Carolina
    Thanks for all your help mate, but I get most of my info/news from ManchesterOnline, SkySports and Soccernet. Also a mancity.net regular, which is far superior (in numbers of city fans, knowledgeable ones at that) board than this one. Any city news in any publication and its reported there first. Have you ever been on it?

6. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    I occasionally look at manchesteronline, but none of the other suggestions. i also use a forum set up by a city fan for other news and rumours.
    but these are articles, that many fans might just overlook, that's why i posted them.

7. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    Shame about SWP's form last night. 5/10 rating, what did he do wrong? After all this time, and we know the player he can be, he has one poor performance. I just hope this doesn't hamper his England prospects.