"Yeah, I meant to do that" - The Dempsey at Fulham thread. III [Rs]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Real Corona, Mar 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Exactly my point. One could say Dempsey wasn't fully healthy until May/June this year as well.

I really have no idea how Roy would have decided the starting XI this season.

2. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Coming off the bench for Liverpool would be pretty darned good for an American field player. I'd love to see it happen.

I'd bet on him playing out the year at Fulham, though. He's good enough to get back into the starting lineup at some point if the past few years are any indication.

3. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    But then even after November, he didn't get consistent starts until February. He may not have fully regained his form or fitness so soon after injury, but the same could possibly have been said about Dempsey at the end of last season (who remember was actually injured twice in the second half of the season, once shortly after returning from his longer injury spell).

4. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    yeah, sorry thought that was obvious. Davies and Duff were fighting for playing time in the EPL during the regular season, not Dempsey. He was having, as that Italian rag said, a top 10 midfielder performance.

5. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not convinced that Hodgson preferred him on the left. It's equally possible he was playing him there because of a lack of better options. As I said before, I'm with all of you who prefer him on the left, but I'm not convinced that his managers necessarily see it the same way. Early signs with respect to Clint's playing time/and position this season are less than promising under Hughes, I'd agree. I just fear that a move to 'pool would find Clint in a very similar situation.

FYI, Sky is reporting the Babel deal to leave Liverpool is off.

6. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey would have been a lock stater for Fulham, whether Davies was healthy or not, if he did not get injured last year. And not saying becuase he's better but just because he was on a such a hot streak. It's the same reason Hogs didn't change up his winning squad after Demps got healthy again.

7. vponce75

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would you say if Dempsey didn't get hurt that he would have been replaced by Davies? He was playing his best soccer at that time and was one of, if not the, best Fulham players over the last 2-3 months leading up to the injury. He would have kept his place until his form dropped at the very least. Injury did him in last year.

8. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    yeah, agree. tell that to daddy downer up there.

Anyway, Hodgs is hurting at liverpool for one reason: he doesnt have 'his' guys in place to teach the others how to play Hodgs Ball.

Even if Dempsey is a squad player, seriously, who cares? That has to be a dream come true. To even have teh chance to compete for a top 4 place in teh EPL is awesome.

9. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know. Probably not. However, let me turn this around on you. If Davies hadn't hurt is foot in May of '09 (I believe that's when he hurt it) would Clint have started the '09-'10 season on the left (with Davies on the bench)?

As I've said repeatedly I prefer CD to Davies on Fulham's left, but I'm not convinced his last few managers necessarily feel the same way.

10. andypalmer

andypalmer Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll certainly add some spice to the Everton games if Donovan ends up there. The two best US field players on opposite sides of the red/blue divide..

11. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    I could be wrong, but I imagine this would halt the Dempsey move - if it ever existed in the first place.

12. vponce75

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Dempsey start the season on the bench and had to earn his way back to the starting line up...yet again?

13. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It bears repeating that no other news outlet has picked up on this Dempsey to Liverpool link. All we have is a fairly poorly sourced report on an Irish website.

Sky Sports News is just reporting that Fulham are being linked to a season long loan for David Bentley (sounds like a weak link, though).

14. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    i cant find the rumor to LP duplicated anywhere else. Was probably an irishman cousin of Duff's.

15. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be more precise, I should have said he didn't have Davies to beat out for a starting spot on the left at the beginning of last season.

16. wooglin12

wooglin12 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Soccernet

17. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    And SSN also said that Zamora has been the subject of 3 massive bids today.

18. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was the starter on the left with Davies on the right the previous season, they brought in Duff and played him on the right. Dempsey and Duff were first choice until Dempsey got injured.

19. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Hodgs started dempsey out right. only after Gera failed there. then when davies was around, dempsey moved out left. then davies was hurt and duff beer came on the scene. then davies was hurt. in my opinion, davies is a better right mid than duff beer and dempsey all around better than duff on the left. As someone mentioned Duff might actually not be bad playing the murphy role. worth a look.

Hodgs is a good enough coach to see potential and try things inside his heavily choreographed formation.

20. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could be mistaken, but wasn't there some sort of agreement between the clubs that Hodgson couldn't take any of his Fulham players with him to Liverpool?

21. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But Davies was still injured when Duff moved to Fulham (for I believe the 2nd match of last season). My point was simply that it's just as likely a healthy Davies would have been starting on the left at the beginning of the 09-10 season.

22. ChrisWhyte

ChrisWhyte Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Who woulda thunk Dempsey would be the most talked about Yank Abroad today?

23. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Well the deadline has been reached (for England).

Even if nothing happens with Dempsey I'm glad a rumor appeared today because August 31 is always one of my favorite days of the year.

24. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    if there is mutual consent, no one should care. Also, they teams are theoretically not able to block a sale and a player could actually sue them I think (out of my A$$ talk there, but one would think...).

More than likely Fulham said here are the untouchables: Schwartz, Zamimal, Brede maybe panstil.

Dont know if Dempsey made that list or not or if it even exists. But Brede would have been Hodgs first choice on the backline for sure.

25. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well he took Konchesky. So there couldn't have been a strict one. Probably what Sam Hamwich said.