Yanks on Foreign YNTs ('01-'04 YOBs and younger)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 9, 2020.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough, I believe you are accurate on that point. I conflated the 2 different types of changes, but it's hard to get bent out of shape for someone who has years to go before being a US citizen.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  2. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    American born SJ Earthquake U17 Diego Otoya has been in the Peruvian youth team plans. He’s a big 04 that plays well back to goal at the 9 position. I’m guessing Peru might not have a lot of guys over 6 foot that can play there well.

Pl@ymaker and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Efrain Alvarez is on Mexico's preliminary Gold Cup roster and not ours.
    Maybe that saga is just about over......................

Jonathan Gomez for Efrain Alvarez is a trade I happily make with Mexico.

Oh, throw in Alex Zendejas. He's also on their preliminary Gold Cup roster.

Pl@ymaker, SCSAutism, STR1 and 3 others repped this.
  4. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Agree.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  5. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Is Alguera going to play enough to actually be permanently cap-tied between now and the end of his YNT career? Is El Salvador that bad that a non-pro GK would play for them?

It seems like a good gamble for him. He gets to train with El Salvador and become integrated into their program. If he becomes good enough to play for us, he’ll likely still be eligible and probably will then play for us. If not, no loss for us. Alguera and El Salvador win.

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

Pl@ymaker and BostonRed repped this.
  9. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Doh!

10. NoHammiesAltidore

United States
    Jun 28, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    '01 Shanyder Borgelin of Union II is in Haiti's provisional Gold Cup squad.

11. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    This has probably been said before but I think CONCACAF is about to get a boost in quality within the next 10 years and beyond. MLS is producing a lot of players, who are dual nats, that can easily play for and upgrade any NT in CONCACAF.

It will be harder and harder to make the USMNT and that will leave dual Nats to start looking at their other options for International competitions with another NT. Plus add that Surinam, Curacao, Jamaica, Haiti etc are recruiting players from England, France and Netherlands. CONCACAF is going to get really good.

Pl@ymaker and onefineesq repped this.
  12. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, I have been saying this for about three years now.

Pl@ymaker and STR1 repped this.
  13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    ......................and not just those 2nd tier nations.

Mexico might benefit most of all. Cuz Efrain Alvarez is just the start. It seems like every one of these guys like Ricardo Pepi and Jonathan Gomez is a fight. Particularly the guys in California and Texas that are easy as hell to scout. There are no secrets. Mexico knows all the Mexican-American prospects at FCD.

I will never forget seeing a Mexico scout at a girls U14 OPD tryout. I wanna repeat that. Girls U14 ODP tryout.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is absolutely astounding that, given (a) the size of the Mexican-American population and (b) the amount of resources put into scouting, and also recruiting, that there has never been a Mexico-US recruiting battle that, in retrospect, mattered.

15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Feels like there was a lot of they-doth-protest-too-much "We would NEVER be interested in a player like that" from both countries not that long ago, when the U.S. could've insisted that it had no real use for, say, Brizuela, and Mexico might say the same about Gonzalez. (Though, frankly, we probably would've liked to have Ponce, and Mexico might've found a use for Bocanegra.) Setting aside individual players, the talent seems too good, at a general level, to ignore now.

16. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Senior team friendly and Hugo Sanchez calls in 3 academy kids from San Jose. He knows how to recruit.

La Selecta (@LaSelecta_SLV) Tweeted:
    [emoji772][emoji1094]| Los 21 convocados para enfrentar a Guatemala, el sábado 26 de Junio en el Bank of California Stadium

[emoji574]️| La #SelectaMayor partirá este Jueves 24 de junio a las 3:30 pm rumbo a Los Ángeles, California.

#ElSalvador #ArribaConLaSelección https://t.co/eeZW6q1SNk

Pl@ymaker and Luksarus repped this.
  17. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Pl@ymaker and BostonRed repped this.
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Am I worried that we’ll lose good players to El Salvador, especially for a camp that isn’t even cap-

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Am I worried that we’ll lose good players to El Salvador, especially for a camp that isn’t even cap-tying? No, but it’d be nice if USSF could start running some YNT camps and we didn’t have to operate at a deficit compared to almost every other country in the world.

You’d see a lot less players attend these types of camps for other countries if they were getting USYNT call ups.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yeah, I'm not really worried about this El Salvador camp. It basically has no meaning. We just included young dual-nationals as part of our preliminary Gold Cup roster that are better than any of these guys. None of them are in the class of Akinola and Alvarez, and I'm not particularly worried about their situations being resolved.

USYNT camps? We have to have them in these summer windows.
    We need to start the 2023 cycles of U20s and U17s. Even if we can't get some of the elite youngsters from MLS or Europe. We should be in the "casting a wide net" phase.

It really shouldn't be a problem at the moment. For Pete's sake, we're having a huge MLS NEXT event in Frisco. USYNT camps should be small potatoes compared to that. And we shouldn't have too much difficulty finding an opponent for the group. Hell, have it in Texas and play NTSC or something.

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    BostonRed repped this.
  22. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Olympic squads were expanded to 22, and ‘02 GK Zion Suzuki was added to Japan’s squad as a result.

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  24. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what is going on with our Mex-American players lately but I feel like they're acting too entitled.

I'm what would be considered Mex-American and I'm one of those die hard fans, that support these players when they're playing in MLS academy teams, USL and even third division Europe. It feels like a stab to the back, seeing these guys trying to jump ship or even just teasing, because they don't get special treatment.

I'd rather support some player born in another country, that wants to play for us, than some Mex-American who wants to leave the program, because he feels like he's not getting enough call-ups.

25. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    It's odd timing that Gomez, Araujo and Ochoa who have received YNT looks are all getting cold feet at the same time