Yanks Abroad poster decorum.

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by taylor, Dec 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    perhaps the completion of the MLS season has lead to the increased activity, and often times poor decorum, on the YA board.

perhaps the moderating of these boards needs to be focused during the first few weeks after each year's MLS Cup.

2. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    You're right Casper, it's not just the mods. But again, when I get bored with something, I just stop reading. I wouldn't start a thread demanding that everyone be more interesting for my sake.

3. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    John, I think you just got down to the heart of the matter.

[​IMG]

4. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    i would hope that the majority opinion is that everyone stay on topic as much as possible for everyone's sake, enjoyment, information.

5. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, hopefully things will imporve. I was just saying that I don't enjoy the conversations much anymore. In the past, there were some dissagreements, but when we made "stupid" comments, it was more along the lines of, "how could you not see what I saw" rather than, "you are blind" type comments.

I also agree that the ideas and posts in this thread are good.

And like DK, but a bit later, I remember when there were about 20 or so regular posters.

6. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting idea. However, I don't see how you can respect all posts as respect is earned through its merits. To artificially respect something that is not worthy of respect seems to be a rule that will degrade the quality of discussion or spiral into meaningless semantics.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with trying to couch your disagreement, or even lack of respect for, a particular post in a shroud of civility.

The only real feasible solution, other than choking off all exchange of diverse opinions by the mods, is PanicFC's -- split the boards and enforce the split so those who just want news can get it without wading through opinion. Of course, this would mean that the mods would have to make sure that posters of news don't insert their opinions into their "news" posts.

I suspect that it would be too burdensome to do properly and that the better solution remains to just ignore stuff that bothers you.

7. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well how would everyone feel about splitting the ya into two different forums, as previously mentioned. like seperate n&a and general discussion boards? i for one think that that would be a positive and welcomed action.
    in other news... look everyone! a purse fight in the "Yanks Abroad poster decorum" thread. if that doesn't tell you something about the state of this forum, then i don't know what will.

[result]its tied at halftime. tree with the early blow and metro comes back with the star jonesesque "i am a lawyer!" ;)[/result]

8. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    The thing is - there wasn't really much Dempsey news. And I think we're pretty good about starting new threads when it's warranted.

Anyway, I am totally opposed to breaking up into more forums - don't we have to check enough forums as it is?

9. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen to that, brother. After having my rep knocked down by one negative rep by a guy who called me a fagg0t as he did it, I decided the whole rep green card collection thing is BS...other than a quick way to let someone know that I liked what they posted.

As for mine...I just don't care...except for those nice personal notes that come along with some of them (thanks VS, that meant something)

10. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe its just me, but I get tired of the same tired discussions.

As for a 2nd forum - I visit a bunch already, so adding one more isn't going to bother me.

11. Bambule GK

Bambule GK New Member

Aug 16, 2000
    The ATL

I'm totally against breaking up the forum. I can't stand it elsewhere and really find that it annoying.

And, here, the volume just doesn't dictate/necessitate such a transformation. On DCU and MNT, where the traffic and the random threads were bumping quality content off the first page too quickly -- yeah, I can see that.

But, as I see it, bifurcating this thread will do little or nothing to inject civility into the discourse.

12. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently ignoring the stuff that bothers you has gotten mighty difficult. or why else has this topic exploded all of a sudden?

Thanks largely to posts consisting of garbage like the rest of what you had to say here, about not being forced or expected to "respect" what others have posted if they don't "deserve" respect, for whatever make believe reason another poster has come up with for not respecting another poster or their posts. Or however you'd like me to word it so as not to be subjected to a tirade of lawyerly dizzyation.

Ok, I promise, this is my last post in this eye opening thread.

13. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the funny thing is that I don't even know how to check my rep or what the signs of good rep are. I have figured out how to GIVE people rep, but that is the extent of it. And for the record, I have NEVER given anyone negative rep, nor will I. if i don't like what they post, I ignore it and move on. on the flip side, I will rep people just to let them know i truly enjoyed reading. dang, so I've been missing nice personal notes when given positive rep (assuming I've gotten positive rep somewhere along the line)? LOL

14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed on that. I still think this is the best forum for starting new threads in a timely maner.

15. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, but I just don't think Brian West is as good as you do. Get over it.

16. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TAKK, I for one think that you like to troll threads. I remember one in particular where I mentioned that Bruce's subs did not work in a game and you found a way to call me a Bruce groupie that would defend any action Bruce would take and defended the statement because of your ability to "see things before they happen". Stuff like that causes people to get annoyed at you, but of course I didn't negative rep you.

17. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, I think YA forum has traditionally been one with some of the more "out in left field" type posts.

I won't mention posters, but here are a few nuggets that might provoke a response:

C. Gibbs should be starting for the US at center back (posted 200x times by someone who had never seen him play)

Jamar Beasley will tear it up in Italy now that he has good players giving him good service unlike at the Fire.

Boca shouldn't go to Fullham because the coach hates Americans. (Did we hear that in 10 different threads? but JT had already left Fullham)

Or how many calls have we had to cap some third division player from England or Germany?

Sometimes the posts in YA are just meriting a "wth?"

I do kinda think it would be a good idea to have a YA games forum and a YA discussion forum. Have a forum for just play by play, results, injury reports, player interviews and send all the discussion of "Steve Churendolo is clearly the best right back in the history of the Bundesliga because he had 2 assists and a goal in the last 3 games!" into a discussion forum. Nothing more annoying than getting home from work and trying to read through a play by play thread that is interrupted by 2 pages of Flavor of the Month vs Flamer of the Month. Let play by play threads be about that game and what is happening.

Oh yeah...and why do people always quote the person who posts a result of another game in a play by play thread? If you are experienced enough to know not to post the result shouldn't you be experienced enough to know not to quote it?!?

And while I am thinking about it...thanks to all of you who do play by play on games I can't see on FSW or ESPWHATEVER. 8)

18. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    Hey guys, I have a suggestion.

Why don't you derelict my balls.

19. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    Hey someone erased my post and my balls weren't yet derelict.

So again, my suggestion to all is quite simply:

Derelict my balls.

...and don't respond with "Present them".

20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The latter two proved to be totally wrong. However, Cory Gibbs might indeed be starting U.S. center back for much of the Hex, and in World Cup.

I remember the Gibbs thread and the guy was a bit overboard, but hell, nobody was listening and he was largely correct. I'm glad that he shouted.

Perhaps people wouldn't need to shout so much if listeners didn't so frequently hold their hands over their ears. I can't tell you how many times I've see scorn heaped onto arguments that ultimately turned out to be right. Everybody is so damn sure of themselves. Hell, Arena's better than anybody on these boards and he screws up many times each year.

21. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca

I suppose you are referring to me.

You- like a few others- continue to perpetuate some myth about that posting sequence several years ago.

For the record, and for you- since you either have bad memory or wish to intentionally twist the truth.

My argument was- and this is why I had to post so many times....lot of knuckleheads on the other end- was that Gibbs deserved a cap/look in the Feb-April 2002 window (lead up to the WC). In fact, Bruce agreed with me, and eventually called in Cory, however Cory got hurt and had to leave training camp.

Later, we saw a Jeff Agoos which I think most any rational analyst would have agreed played horribly, and easily could have been replaced (by someone else).

We saw a Pablo Mastroeni play a big role for the US National team after having little/no role for US Nats pre-WC 2002. So, yes, you can bring in someone who's had nothing to do with your team's chemistry in the lead-up to a big event. I'm not saying you change half your team pre-2002, but you can bring in ONE or TWO new players.

I was much more right then wrong. At the time, several posters were arguing Gibbs didn't even deserve a look at a friendly scheduled in Germany in March 2002. This, while he was playing regularly (and rated well) in the Bundesliga. We had NO OTHER YA DEFENDERS doing this anywhere in the world (comparably).

So please keep your exaggerations in the closet please. Thank you.

22. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Irony ,having died in the Politics forum,returns to life on YA.

Brilliant!

23. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

All I know is that I derive fun from my half-hearted attempts to sabotage the YA threads for my own evil purposes.

24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jri, this is the tone of your general posts. Granted, you have toned down since you started posting here. But you post like you are talking with a higher authority than the posters here.

And, at the time, which is what Eliezar was saying, had you actually seen Gibbs play in person? Or were you going based on match reports? If it was the latter, how could you make any authoritive decision?

Now, I know this is personal in nature, but I don't mean it as harsh. I do say that I now like your opinions, specially as they largely spark conversation. The problem is that most posters don't stop and think before posting. I've always viewed this forum as quality over quantity. Recently it seem to have reversed. I hope it gets back to the quality it once had (and I'm saying those last two sentences as a general statement, not to any one poster).

25. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Seriously, is there any purpose to this thread anymore? Let's face it -- people have personalities. Some are just jerks. (And some, I guess, like to pretend to be jerks on the internet, which I suppose makes them jerks.) Impassioned pleas aren't going to change that. Life goes on.