Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week: 2021/2022

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Jan 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New year new thread. May we send many Americans across the pond: Onward Sands, Bello, Dike, and others!

2. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Marko72, Guinho, 50/50 Ball and 9 others repped this.
  3. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That didn’t take long!

4. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Posting this as I posted it in Dike's YA thread. Long story short. The West Brom fans have super high expectations.

Orioles Magic and Yowza repped this.
  5. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Since he had 9g in 19 matches in the Championship last year, plus their summer striker acquisition with ... one goal, yeah, they are going to expect a lot.

6. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
  7. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    The reactions from all other Championships clubs’ center backs:
    My bloody God! Again!!
    They need to come to NFL to learn how to properly tackle.

8. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You're welcome for my service

Frankly, West Brom NEEDED him to maintain their slipping promotion push. Bournemouth and Fulham were pulling away and Blackburn have made a move now too. Hopefully Dike starts banging them in.

9. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dont mean to pile on Jozy, but I think thats the biggest difference between him and Dike. Colaship and Premiership defenders vs Jozy were thinking "okay, big guy but hes not gonna outmatch me". Colaship defenders going up against Dike........."oh, bloody hell,...... Staff, get the ice bath ready for me after this game in advance........" Defenders DONT want to play against Dike because they know they're going to get mauled and bruised. It is a foregone conclusion, and thats not a nice thought as a defender having a forward that can do that to you. Jozy had that capacity to be that sort of a mauler, but he wasnt that much of a fighter. Jozy had to be motivated to play that way, and even when motivated, it rarely happened. Dike just........does it. Its natural for him. I think this is gonna go well for West Brom. Furthermore, that sell-on clause is a pretty big deal.

Pegasus repped this.
  10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    WBA are second in xG, so Dike should be getting even better scoring opportunities.

xbhaskarx, FTGOTC and gogorath repped this.
  11. redandwhite99

redandwhite99 Member

West Bromwich Albion
    Canada
    Jun 16, 2021
    Well, I'm a Canadian fan, but I've been a baggies fan for quite a while. They definitely could use him. His physical presence in the box will help Grant too. I hope he does well. I watched the Derby County match the other day. Derby County did absolutely nothing, but West Brom gifted them a goal and didn't take any of their chances. One of the worst games I've seen them play. I hope this is just the start. We could use a couple more players. Top 2 is still within striking distance.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  12. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    #12 schrutebuck, Jan 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
    Ricardo Pepi may be signing with Augsburg.

Marko72, xbhaskarx and FTGOTC repped this.
  13. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AUGSBURG, wow, talk about outa left field. Theyre pretty much betting their survival on him to crank some goals, and for some serious cash.

14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #14 IndividualEleven, Jan 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
    15th place. And the xG is also15th. At least Pepi is getting paid. $20 mill from Augsburg is a lot of pressure, though.

The upshot for the National Team is going into the next window, we'll have two strikers getting minutes.

15. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    to put a positive spin on this- if relegated he will at least be playing regularly at a decent level heading into next winter.

staying up may be the less desirable outcome.

16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    That's true as well. And if Sargent stays at Norwich he'll also be getting good service in the C'ship.

17. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Well, Wolfsburg is only 2 spots ( 2 points above them). Also Augsburg’s defense gave up less goals than other teams, but their offense wasn’t good enough.

18. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Pefok
    Sargent
    Hoppe
    Pepi
    Dike
    Ramirez

How many 2nd half of the season goals are we targeting for each? :)

19. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Note to self: never trust that Transfermarkt guy who keeps reporting things as done deals shortly after more reliable sources say that a deal is close to happening.

FTGOTC and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  20. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im gonna set a big goal for Dike. 10-12 goals and I think theyre playoff favorites that no one wants to play. 15+ goals, that means West Brom probably set a trajectory to auto promotion riding on the back of the tank that is Dike.

21. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Let’s start a Pepe vs. Dike scoring contest.

22. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on Pepi's supporting cast entirely if thats competitive or not. Hopefully its not another Norwich situation where hes just watching his midfield get overrun.

23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Pefok(18 more league games): 14 goals. For that level, on that team, he should be banging 'em in.
    Sargent(19): 3 goals. 3 is ambitious for the lad! Maybe Norwich picks up a creative mid in the window. Chance creation is badly needed.
    Hoppe(pending transfer clarification):
    Pepi(17): 6 goals 3 assists. Augsburg have a poor xG, so I'm not expecting the world.
    Dike(22): 14 goals. Given WBA's high xG, given his record in the league, a goal every other game would be too low.
    Ramirez(15): 12 goals. For that level, given his experience, he should be scoring for fun.

24. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    I play devil’s advocate.

Sargent 5
    Hoppe (if 2nd La Liga) 15
    Pepi 10
    Dike 18

IndividualEleven repped this.
  25. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I'm not crazy about Dike's move. I haven't watched any Championship this year, so maybe West Brom plays a different style, but if Ismael has them playing the same way as Barnsley last year, I don't see how that helps Dike evolve his game. I think he needs to work on sharpening his technique, his movement, and his reading of the game, and I don't think he'll get that from having a team hoof long balls up to him while CBs try to mug him.

That said, the obvious upside is that he has a coach who likes him and a team that needs goals but is otherwise pretty solid.

Marko72 repped this.