Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week: 2020/2021

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will relegation actually help Josh Sargent? For all of Josh Sargent’s young career, he has been a striker on a team that doesn’t produce chances. As a result, he seems to have completely lost his scoring touch. Personally, I hope that Norwich goes down and Sargent goes down with them.... and maybe, hopefully maybe, Sargent feels what it’s like to score again.

2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    He's currently starting against a League One side.

3. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i watched the first half of the Norwich match. Sargent was doing was he should. Coming back to show for the ball. Making runs. Pressuring when they didn't have the ball. I get 9s need to score. Btu I am not sure what more he could do on this dreadful team. At one point he had the ball back to goal outside the 18.Dropped it to a mid who put it wide right to an open winger. Sargent made a run to the box and had split two defenders. Lots of space to get him a cross. But the winger just lofted the ball clear past the far post and out. Just dreadful.

jaykoz3 and Winoman repped this.
  4. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't been watching this game closely, but what I have seen from him has been....meh. Sure, I've seen him make some correct runs. I've seen him hustle. I've also seen his touch be poor and his speed of thought be really slow. His team as a whole sucks ass, but he himself has looked outmatched by League 1 players.

Perhaps next time he moves clubs he'll make a better choice instead of trying to get in on the glamor (and paycheck) of the EPL no matter what.

5. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    This is why I think he will (or should) have a role with the national team regardless (unless he has refused any role other than striker). He is just a better soccer player than most of our midfield reserves and at least one of our winger reserves.

6. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    Even if Sargent "only" becomes a lower half EPL version of Arriola, he will have a role on the NT. Our coach clearly loves what someone like Arriola can do - and I do think there is value in the defensive winger or striker. So Sargent can become that.

There are worse possible futures out there than productive mid tier EPL and Bundesliga strikers like Pepi/Dike being our top two strikers, and a player like Sargent being our #3 striker or our last winger. There is a lot of coverage there in terms of strengths/weaknesses and play styles.

ifsteve repped this.
  7. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sarg really did make the old Feilhaber Derby razzle dazzle unfortunately. It seemed like it always was gonna be that way.

8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see Sargent as a player who is thinking way, way too much. I beti of we go back and look at him at U17 and U20 he was instinctive. When a forward takes a millisecond to think the defender settles and takes away what ever he was thinking of. Sargent - don't think just do. Be predator not a professor.

Marko72 and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Even on a Euro-based team, Sargent isn't a strong candidate.

Miazga and Alves get the clean sheet to go a point clear of the drop-zone.

67% passing: the highest on the backline
    ground duels: 3/4
    aerial duels: 4/5

Whoscored 7.4(4th)
    Sofascore 7.4(5th)
    Fotmob 7.4(5th)

Winoman repped this.
  10. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miazga back in the starting 11? thats good. Injury or Covid for traditional starter?

11. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Laguardia has covid.

12. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this happens when a good player is thrust into a role where he's expected to be better than good and carry or lead a team. He can't; but he's trying to. But I would bet if you put him on a team with no big holes in their game that he would look a whole lot better.