Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week: 2020/2021

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Is Boyd an MLS contributor at this point? It wasn't like he lit MLS on fire in Toronto...

tomásbernal repped this.
  2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe not but he has found the back of the net again in the German third division, 18 in 35 last season, 6 in 14 this season.

Marius Tresor repped this.
  3. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    So maybe a USL side could use him...

tomásbernal repped this.
  4. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd go to more Louisville City games if he was there!

5. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Gooch seems very tied to Sunderland from a family perspective. Saief and Boyd already came back to MLS and both were very poor. I doubt there's interest on either side.

I think younger players who haven't gotten where they've wanted in Europe would be more likely to come back boot. The Keaton Parks / Emerson Hyndman route. Perhaps someone like Uly Llanez.

xbhaskarx and STR1 repped this.
  6. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andrew Wooten lit up the BL2 and then did next zero while with the Philadelphia Union.

Kenny Saiaef already had a less than stellar stint in MLS with Cincy that was ended halfway into his first season. Though that may have had a lot to do with the shitshow that FCC has proven to be during their first 3 years in MLS......

7. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect you're right and he's getting the Busio treatment here to play tougher and more defense. It worked with Busio and has helped him at his club to so let's see if LDLT's defensive intensity picks up.

tomásbernal repped this.
  8. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I think at least a little of this is good health after some major struggles w/injury. I’d probably put the production the last 18 months vs MLS days at 65% competition and 35% consistent health.

9. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    Yeah. That was a brilliant header by Pefok. The absolute only way he could get that on goal there. The bits of the game I watched, he was also doing a pretty good job of pressing, better than we have seen with the National Team. Maybe he is a better cold weather player?

Also, a nice assist for Konrad for Marseille and a really good overall game by Yedlin for Galatasaray. They were matched up against each other quite a few times and camera shots showed them talking for a quite a while after the game.

10. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    Can you please send this post to Berhalter? He absolutely needs to read it.

xbhaskarx, Cynical US fan and Bajoro repped this.
  11. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    With Kyle Duncan moving to Oostende this winter, I figured it might be worth tracking the transfers from MLS to Belgium over the years, since it's a trend that seems to be accelerating pretty rapidly these days. (I'm not counting anyone who played in Belgium prior to playing in MLS.)

July 2010: Kljestan (NYRB) to Anderlecht
    Jan. 2013: Najar (DCU) to Anderlecht
    Aug 2019: Durkin (DCU) to Sint-Truiden
    Jan. 2020: Murillo (NYRB) to Anderlecht
    Jan. 2020: Lawrence (NYRB) to Anderlecht
    Jan. 2021: McKenzie (PHI) to Genk
    Aug 2021: Vines (COL) to Royal Antwerp
    Jan. 2022: Buchanan (NE) to Club Brugge
    Jan. 2022: Duncan (NYRB) to Oostende

My guess is that no European league has had more incoming transfers from MLS than Belgium in the past two years.

12. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    It's Europe, so it's a pathway. But, is Oostende really better than NYRB? Gotta be pretty close. 538 gives a pretty distinct edge to the MLS side FWIW, 192nd in the world to 374th.

Obviously some of these newer transfers the book is still out, and maybe some go on to bigger a better heights, but while Kljestan and Najar had nice runs with a decent Anderlecht side, the next stop was ultimately back to MLS.

We'll see.

13. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    RBNY has been pretty ruthless with younger players in the last few years in MLS. Whether they are right or wrong, Duncan was on the team when Red Bull corporate basically said "we don't see anyone in the system Leipzig would be interested in." That included guys like Brian White, Kenan Hot, etc. And we've seen them move on pretty ruthlessly as they age or the player demands get too high.

They seem like they are moving back to RBNY as a development arm, and so I expect to see this continue.

I have no idea if they offered Duncan a NY contract or not. And so it is tough to tell if they didn't want to pay him, or if he just wanted to try his hand in Europe.

I suspect the latter -- Oostende has a very MLS-level payroll ($14M according to the internet) so I imagine what he could get somewhere in MLS and what's he's getting in Belgium are similar.

Why not? Live abroad, take your shot, etc. Especially if you are getting close to MLS pay (or better, of course!). But at some point soon, he's also going to have to start thinking about banking cash as best he can. Though MLS generally doesn't pay outside backs.

piratesoccer repped this.
  14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    McKenzie and Genk get the 1-1 tie against Zagreb in the EL.
    89% passing
    1 assist

Fotmob(8.0)MOTM
    Sofascore(7.4)1st
    Whoscored(7.3)2nd

With McKenzie starting, Genk across the JL and EL have a record of---
    ---W D L
    JL 3 1 2
    EL 0 1 0
    without McKenzie
    JL 3 2 4
    EL 1 1 2

xbhaskarx, edcrocker, JUnionFan and 4 others repped this.
  15. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Not surprising. The league is slightly better than MLS without exotic limitations. Kind of a little step up.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Not really.

It's a foot in the European door...........................

I know it goes without saying, but Oostende is a little different than Anderlecht. Sacha won three Belgian titles, and played A LOT in European competition. Hence his famous run-in with Ibrahimovic in a match against PSG. I think Sacha is a little underappreciated on these boards in 2021.

[Actually, Sam Vines' club is significantly better than Oostende right now. Antwerp has a real chance to win the league this year.]

Bajoro, Boysinblue and Winoman repped this.
  17. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happy with it, good time to jump. Now we gotta get a few other guys to go. If this winter there is a player that urgently needs to move NOW, I would say it is Bello. He seems to be at the biggest risk of regressing. He needs a new challenge abroad.

18. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Jonathan David started at Gent, now he is a transfer target of 75-80M Euro.

Pl@ymaker and JUnionFan repped this.
  19. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6594 OWN(yewu)ED, Nov 27, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    We're just gonna sit here and pretend Tim Ream didn't score a goal today, huh?

I mean, it ended 1-1 tie to Preston North End and their direct rival only got a 2-2 draw too but, still, wow, Timmy Ream, the goalscorer.

RalleeMonkey, xbhaskarx, FTGOTC and 4 others repped this.
  20. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Tim Tillman scores for Guether Furth his first BL goal. Looking at his WS, he's played 8 BL games this year - 3 starts and 5 bench appearances, His off the bench appearances have been meh. He has a goal and assist (and a high WS) in the three starts.

Definitely seems like he has improved from being a bit player last year. Only 22. If this were last cycle, people in the YA forum would be calling him special.

21. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juve might be in big big doo doo with Serie A over transfers. Might be looking at a point deduction at best and another good ole fashioned jaunt down in Serie B at worst.

22. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meanwhile Dest on the bench again, this time in favor of Garcia and Ezzalzouli. That’s now a lot of players ahead of Dest in Xavi’s estimation

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    With so many of our centerbacks either not playing or in a rotation (Miazga, Richards, etc. didn't start today. McKenzie isn't a full-time starter), Ream really is the guy in form. With MLS guys out of season, Tim really does stand a chance to make that January roster.

24. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the news? Got a link?

25. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006