Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week: 2019/20 Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 16, 2019.

1. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Sigh....no Morales at all but Roldan and Bradley make the list. SMH.

yurch10 and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006

In a 433, during next year's qualifying, for the midfield, I could see---
    -----------------------forwards------
    ----------------Lletget------McKennie,Holmes----
    ----------------------Adams,Yueill------

Reyna, Pomykal, Parks, and Aaronson could variously be integrated at the 8, 8/10 positions.

Perhaps Servania could be added at d-mid.

3. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Ya, I wouldn't supplant Wes. I'm a big Wes fan. But, TT for depth, maybe. And, it's super rare that we have a healthy starting 11.

4. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Jonathan Amon has a meniscus tear, so will miss the Danish SuperLiga opener. Our wing positions would've looked a bit different had he and Weah not had the chronic injury issues.

5. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even more ideally, the USMNT would have never hired Berhalter and would have hired a coach who is better at maximizing the strengths of the available talent instead of trying to force-feed a group into a system that is not suited for the strengths of the current talent pool.

They had that opportunity, but that particular candidate didn't speak 'Murican well enough for the hiring managers . . .

dams, sXeWesley, gunnerfan7 and 3 others repped this.
  6. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    weah had a big injury, and freakishly had the same injury to his other leg/knee just as he was coming back. troubling? sure.

amon has more injuries than he does highlights. ive spent more time reading that hes picked up another injury than i have watching him play soccer.

largegarlic repped this.
  7. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    I think McKennie is undoubtedly the starter at this moment. The notion that Roldan or Delgado are suitable alternatives is delusional. But Ideally, he’s our Swiss army knife who could sub in at “8”, “6”, RM, RW, RWB and RCB/LCB in a three-man back. He’s too sloppy in possession for me to call him a “building block” in the center of the pitch.

But that would require a player like Tanner Tessman to make a leap. I’m not sure if Pomykal will have the health for it.

sXeWesley repped this.
  8. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It appears Nico Gioacchini would have been called up in March had those games not been cancelled. Chris Richards was also called up for January Camp, but Bayern wouldn't let him go

This article does require an Athletic Subscription

https://theathletic.com/1844942/2020/05/29/

Winoman repped this.
  9. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought Josh Sargent had a really solid game today at Schalke. He was very active and had some chances to set up goals on set pieces.

Not McKennie’s best game. He was visibly frustrated and was on his way to a second caution before being subbed off. He does need to keep his emotions in check more when he’s frustrated. That’s probably his biggest weakness right now. Schalke is just a mess.

10. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Werder bossed the 1st half, Schalke came on strong in the 2nd. McKennie was rightly pulled after getting a final warning from the ref after a foul (seemed like the Werder player made a meal out of it, but ut was called), and with him sitting on a yellow for a tactical foul, it made sense.

But it also meant that WM wasn't on the field much when Schalke was in the ascendancy, so he was mostly invisible this game.

11. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He needs to hurry up and score!

12. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Gio Reyna in 10 minutes:
    • Dribbles guy, hacked, draws yellow
    • Excellent, quick touchline pass, gets absolutely hammered, ref plays on advantage, a lot happens after, but leads to goal.
    • Combination where he basically takes ball off Sancho, with speed, like incredible speed. Chooses to shoot from meh angle, good low shot definitely headed for corner, keeper makes good finger tip save that pushes inches wide. Probably should have passed there, but was a good try. Selfish? Up 4-1 trying to get your 1st BL goal, you can understand it.
    • Receives at 18 back to goal. Correct pass with a little flair out wide to Witsel. Cross is battered home. Secondary assist.
    • Defends corner. Very calm outlet pass in his own box to find teammate just above the 18. Guy springs Sancho and Hazard for 2v1. Goal Sancho. Another Secondary assist.
    ...not bad:cool:

Bajoro, Patrick167, RalleeMonkey and 6 others repped this.
  13. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These two plays were both very impressive and showed maturity beyond his 17 years. The pass to Witsel wasn't easy to pull off, and he was actually fouled enough for another advantage called (and a second advantage was called as Schmelzer was cleaned out while scoring the goal). The outlet pass defending the corner was extremely good. I know it was 5-1 at the time, but his ability to stay calm with the ball in his own area and make the right pass (when some players wouldn't make that pass at all because it's a pass into the middle of the field near the penalty area) was impressive.

He's only going to get better.

Bajoro, Patrick167 and Winoman repped this.
  14. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    #1840 dams, May 31, 2020
    Last edited: May 31, 2020
    Yeah I'm incredibly bullish on Reyna. He is 17 and won't be 18 until sometime in the Fall I believe. Even if he didn't improve at all from this point he is right now be one of the better players in our pool, and the idea that he is not going to improve significantly from here on out seems impossible. Barring something unforeseen I can't imagine he won't be a NT star. Dude looks goofy, a bit clumsy out there, like a lab puppy running around with huge paws that it hasn't grown into yet. He more often than not makes a play though and it makes you wonder how good he will be in a year or two after he maybe grows into his body.

USSoccerNova and RefIADad repped this.
  15. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Do you know something about Pomykal that rest of us don't?

16. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read the article and also listened to the related Allocation Disorder podcast this weekend with Tenorio and Stejskal. Good work on both fronts by The Athletic staff. The Athletic does a solid job covering soccer, and their reporting on the MLS return to play has obviously struck a nerve with Don Garber. :)

While I'm OK with Berhalter's 4-3-3 idea, I still think he's trying to fit a square peg (his preferred style of play) into a round hole (the strengths of the talent base). I think the lineup is pretty set now, but I still think a 4-2-3-1 is the best way to maximize this team's talent.

GK - Steffen
    Center back - Long and Brooks
    Left back - Dest (would prefer him at right back, but he's a better option for the hole at left back since there are some options at right back).
    Right back - Cannon
    Double pivot - McKennie (more forward) and Adams (CDM)
    Attacking mids - Pulisic, Lletget, and Reyna
    Striker - Altidore

A double pivot allows McKennie to do what he does best, while it puts Adams in his most natural position. I'm not sold on Lletget at the 10, but I want to see Pulisic and Reyna on the wings. If he's healthy, I do think Lletget can bring some creativity to the middle of the field. I held my nose some putting Altidore at the 9, but he's a better option up top than Sargent is right now.

This also allows Morris to come off the bench in a variety of options. One example is to put him on the left and move Pulisic inside to the 10. Yedlin is a bench option as both a fullback and a winger.

17. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Why in the world would we have Lletget over Morris?

sXeWesley and yurch10 repped this.
  18. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because I want Christian Pulisic at left wing, which is his most natural and most valuable position.

I know there are different schools of thought, but I want to have our key players in their best positions as much as possible. In some cases, like with Dest, necessity means some positional moves take place. But I want Pulisic, Adams, and McKennie in their natural positions as much as possible - especially Pulisic.

I can be talked into Morris starting over Reyna, especially in the short-term. I also think there may be some times where Pulisic will be better-served playing in the 10/CAM role. But for me, I want Christian Pulisic starting at his left-wing position as the first-choice option. Plus, I really like the idea of having a super-sub who can come in at 55 or 60 minutes and really change the nature of a game. I think Jordan Morris is a good player for that role. He can play either wing or even the 9, and I think there's big value in a player like that. I hate to open this wound again, but Landon Donovan would have been amazing in that super-sub role (at a minimum) for 2014.

19. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Pulisic on left, Reyna at 10 (already better than lletget) and Morris on right or have all three players interchange.

out of the list of Pulisic, Reyna, Morris and Lletget as attackers, it’s Sebastian who has to sit. Doesn’t seem particularly hard to decide.

20. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    From what I saw on here, any reference to Lleget playing was simply because Egg has played him. Is he even a great player on LA? 3 goals and 5 assists for a team that tied for 3rd most goals in the league last year doesn't strike me as a NT starter.

DHC1 repped this.
  21. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Lletget has been pretty good for the national team every time he's played.

But he's clearly in the Paul Arriola-type level, where he's good enough for WCQ but I'd really like to see someone overtake him.

tomásbernal and largegarlic repped this.
  22. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, I struggle a lot with who to play at that CAM role if Pulisic is on the wing. I get that he CAN play the 10, but I want our team's best player to be in his highest-leverage position on the field.

I'm not against Pulisic in the CAM role as long as he's providing as much value there as he can on the wing. As bullish as I am on Reyna, I think his stronger position is on the right wing. I know that the traditional CAM position (think Ozil at his peak) is somewhat out of favor in today's world, so maybe this isn't as big of a deal as I'm thinking it is.

Left back, CAM, and striker are really the big question marks with this group. I think you can move Dest to the left and have him be more valuable there with the options at right back. If Jozy is healthy, I think he's a good (if not great) option up top in a 4-2-3-1. That leaves CAM. If you can have Pulisic, Reyna, and Morris interchange to provide a threat in the center of the pitch, I'm all for it.

Patrick167 repped this.
  23. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    I guess? He has 14 caps, 2 goals. His situation is so bizarre, because he basically had the 1 or 2 good performances during the last Hex before he had the nasty injury, and for some reason, everyone only remembers that and thinks he's a starter. He's 27 and doesn't do much in MLS. I likely wouldn't even have him on my 23, and other players have overtaken him already. The 3 attacking mids should be CP, Reyna at the 10, and Morris. Those 3 are all vastly superior to Lleget. Then Uly should play before him. He's basically right on the cusp of being a 2nd/3rd backup.

sXeWesley repped this.
  24. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Pulisic has played much better centrally or even drifting centrally when lined up out wide. He can be effective out there, but needs quality central mids to get him the ball. Lletget isn't a quality central midfielder at this level.

sXeWesley repped this.