Yanks Abroad Flavors of the Week 2018-19

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Aug 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    We've called up multiple Portuguese speakers this U20 cycle alone [Philip Ejimadu of Nacional (Sao Paolo), CJ dos Santos of Benfica]

In fact, when USYNTers are from South America they do typically get a look. Its rare that any of them ever develop into anything. Luis Felipe of Cruzeiro is an example. Joel Sonora of Boca Juniors. The list goes on. We have a very low "success rate" of South America-based kids developing into future USMNTers (or even high level adult professionals). [Historically we do have a history of South American kids moving to the US and developing here. Or naturalized adult South Americans like Llamosa.]

There's no reason to believe Ordonho won't be called up to USYNTs if he wants to play for them. Then its up to him to earn a place moving forward. As people know, our attacking positions with our U20s are quite strong already.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    From that thread, the kid apparently had wanted to rep MLS and the USNT, even back when he was in Brasil. Think the USSF would have been on the ball with this kid?

3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I didn't realize San Jose's LF Fernandes was that Cruzeiro kid until now. I'd repped him in MLS Flavors. He has really bolstered the Quakes midfield. Not sure about his pace...

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    We have no full-time USMNT, U23, U19, U18, or U17 coaches.

Who are we expecting to be "on the ball?" We seemingly expect Tab Ramos to do EVERYTHING. [Its like when folks complained about what Tab was or wasn't doing with regards to Jonathan Gonzalez without first noting that Ramos is basically doing EVERYTHING. He can only do so much. Hell, Ramos is supposed to be running the USSF development academy too. Jesus.]

Our hope here is that Stewart starts filling all of these head coaching positions. Then assistant coaches and scouting networks can be brought on line to do a lot of the "casting the net" work. Right now all of our programs are basically treading water.

5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yedlin looks screwed. Knee injury in the 90th minute. Looks bad.

6. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm late commenting on this, but it is silly. The man of the match was a guy on the team that was playing up a man for half a game, resulting in him having a free reign in the middle. And whose team only got a draw off an own goal? The people who pick these MOTM winners are useless.

Patrick167 repped this.
  7. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yep

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #108 Clint Eastwood, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Yeah, that looked really bad.
    Also, in England...………..Ream is out injured for Fulham.

OK, so some other news from England. Robinson starts again for Wigan.

Another fullback starter in the Championship is Eric Lichaj. I had forgotten that he'd moved to Hull:

Gooch starts today for Sunderland:

Winoman repped this.
  9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Oh...………………..I'll have an aneurysm if Chris Richards is in the 18 for Bayern Munich later this month. We thought he was going to play for their U19s, but it doesn't look like that's happening any more. Bayern U19 coach is Miroslav Klose.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Joseph Gyau came off the bench today for Duisburg in BundII

For those that didn't see this, Gedion Zelalem has had a looooooooooooong road back from injury.

Winoman repped this.
  11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    One player who may get a USMNT in the near future is Romain Gall, who made his first start for Swedish giants Malmo yesterday. Had an assist. Has gotten his career back on track in Scandinavia.

Romain Gall is 3rd leading scorer all-time for the US U20s...……...after Brek Shea and Freddy Adu.
    1027986135442698240 is not a valid tweet id

Winoman and IndividualEleven repped this.
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    1028284810404483072 is not a valid tweet id

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Looks like young American forward Emmanuel Sabbi just scored AGAIN for Hobro in Denmark.

Patrick167, Winoman and Sombrerito repped this.
  14. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sabbi scores 2 goals in 3 minutes. And he's been showing real skill and ability. The way he's playing, he deserves an MNT callup, not just U23.

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Certainly wouldn't surprise me if we have three young Scandinavia based players get callups soon for debuts: Sabbi, Amon, and Gall. I think Sabbi is only provisionally captied to the US. Born in Italy to Ghanaian parents.

Seeing as Josh Sargent has never scored a professional goal, one can even argue that Sabbi should start over him for both the USMNT and U23s.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  17. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, I think the forward slots in the senior roster are completely up for grabs. Sargent hasn't played any official 1st team minutes yet. Novakovich hasn't yet shown ability to score at a level above the Dutch 2nd division. Wood had a horrible season last year. And then the US-eligible MLS guys with 10+ goals are Zardes, Bunbury, and Dwyer.

If those are the options, why not call up Sabbi?

STR1 and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  19. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Horrible! Any updates?

20. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    ChuckMe92 and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  21. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Winoman repped this.
  23. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Why is that? Chandler is a better all-around player imo. I mean, I hope he’s not done for the year, but I can think of at least a dozen players I’d rather have healthy if we had an important game today.

Pulisic
    Weah
    McKennie
    Steffen
    Altidore
    Adams
    Miazga
    Brooks
    Chandler
    Johnson
    Robinson
    Ream
    Green

I know we’re all in living in USMNT Tomorrowland due to the disappointment of not qualifying but Yedlin’s injury isn’t so scary when you open the pool back up to talented guys who are old enough to shave.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Chandler hasn't been the better performer in a US uniform.

25. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    What has Yedlin done as a right back for the USMNT? I’d say his boneheaded red against Paraguay was just as horrible as Chandler’s death-by-humidity in Honduras.