Yanks abroad 2023-2024 thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Jun 3, 2023.

1. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed not every dual national recruitment is winnable.

And Berhalter was trying to call him up for qualifying rosters even before Mexico was.

2. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revisionist history, as I've pointed out before...

Apologists are trying to use platitudes after he switched to Mexico, when even by this measure he said for years he'd play for whoever gave him the best opportunity. And the US slow-played him for inferior players like Herrera & Mark McKenzie out of position. So they lost the benefit of the doubt.

3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Nope. Reading interviews of Aruago, made it plain where his ambitions were.

FTGOTC, majspike and tomásbernal repped this.
  4. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. Listening to interviews for years, he made it plain his ambitions were to play for whoever gave him the better opportunity. That wasn't the US when pundits were saying how hard it'd be to break in w/ their supposed amazing depth, many of whom he was played behind.

And then he was prepared to commit to the US, per Kevin Baxter, of the LA Times, who'd know.

Excellency repped this.
  5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I love his progression:
    1 year at Galaxy 2.
    4 years at LA Galaxy.
    Hit the ground running in La Liga.

This will open up more opportunities for MLS players.

RalleeMonkey and gomichigan24 repped this.
  6. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't think we need to derail a thread with this but Julian was a rotational player for The Galaxy in 2019 so was probably better suited to be with The U20's in their World Cup Campaign. In January of 2020 he got the Camp Cupcake callup and then COVID shut down the team for a year, but he was called up again in December and got the start.

He was a good option for our U23's in March of 2021 since it was going to be difficult for players to get released, and then he got a call from the Senior Team later that summer for The Gold Cup but turned it down.

The guy was not getting snubbed outside of maybe one camp in February of 2021 and seemed eager to jump to Mexico when they showed interest

Zinkoff, Bajoro, Boysinblue and 6 others repped this.
  7. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    +1. We should be better at counters. I would add better distribution from the back line, a midfielder with vision, and a more risk-accepting philosophy to your list. Ad we all know, possession is not the same thing as success. I hate the slow horseshoe passes.

8. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Berhalter was also trying to call him up for both of the first two World Cup qualifying windows at a time when Mexico was not willing to do so.

I think the die was cast when he initially agreed to be on the 2021 Gold Cup roster but then changed his mind and pulled out.

Zinkoff, Sebsasour and tomásbernal repped this.
  9. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Araujo was also called up to the Gold Cup in 2021 but said he wasn't ready to commit.

Can't speak for Julian, but I remember his dad was very active on Twitter and made it quite clear his son was going to wait for Mexico

10. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you from Lompoc? I lived there for three years as a kid, it’s a small town so just curious.

11. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea. I was your babysitter. You don't remember because you were too young...

I'm from Wisconsin.

12. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Trusty and Sheffield get a rare win and clean sheet.

Turner and Forrest get a point. Nothing he could do against the goal but he's clearly got a better command of the box

13. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah. I wondered why you randomly mentioned Lompoc, I thought there might be a connection.

thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Gigantic 3 points for Trusty and Sheffield. He started out as a leftback in a back 4 before switching to left centerback in a back 3. Though clearly not an EPL leftback, he survived. He's not quite Tanner Tessman in Serie A deer in headlights, but his teammates were clearly playing around him. Hopefully, as the season goes on, he catches up with the speed of the game and earns more trust.

At the very end, there was a penalty shout for a hand ball during a leaping scrum for a header. But Trusty escaped.

FTGOTC repped this.
  15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sheffield United got the new boss bump. Let’s see how much momentum they get from it

Reggie cannon and qpr still showing great momentum to get out of the bottom three with a win over Lynden Goochs stoke

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  16. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And here I thought you were from Wussconsin.

thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  17. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wiscaaaaaaaaansin***

FTGOTC repped this.
  18. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Upper Wisconsota in my new USA.

19. FTGOTC

FTGOTC Member

Feb 21, 2021
    Someone hasn't been mentioned yet, but Pulisic nabbed an assist today on Milan's 2nd goal against Atalanta, which leveled the match...only to see them get a late red card and a goal against them two minutes later, but in extra time. Tough loss.

20. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Also Pulisic’s giveaway led to the goal scoring sequence. Not his fault solely as some iffy defending was involved but probably a moment he wants back.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Green(cm in 3412) and Furth get the 1-1 draw against Magdeburg to move 4 points off automatic promotion. Could make for a depth option at 2nd forward or a-mid.
    35/42 passing
    3 key passes
    3/4 long balls
    5/10 duels
    Fotmb(7.6)2nd

Not the best playoffs for Zendejas(RAM in 4231) as America has been eliminated.

For 3 starts and 1 sub appearance, he had
    0 goals
    0 assists
    2 key passes

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  22. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    #3722 Maximum Optimal, Dec 10, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2023
    Malik Tillman is a better option. If Malik and Gio are out, I'd probably revert to Musah and McKennie as hybrid 8/10s, with Cardoso as the 6 and LDLT off the bench. There is no conceivable scenario in which Green warrants a look at 2nd forward or a-mid. That ship sailed a while back. Doesn't mean Green is a bad player or that his accomplishments at the club level are to be denigrated. Just that there are better options. In some cases, much better options.

23. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Is Todd Boehly a yank abroad? He dropped $700 million on a baseball player and Chelsea lost again today. To Everton. Such a shame. One has to feel for Chelsea fans. They deserve our pity.

24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Tillman certainly has potential.

25. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    He certainly has. And his present level aint chickenshit either.