Yanited vs Arsenal (EPL) 4 Sep 2022

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by NorthBank, Sep 2, 2022.

1. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dutch with his 4th post since May! :thumbsup:
    Don't be a stranger....

DutchCane repped this.
  2. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Also, just going to come out and say it.

Ramsdale is a flop, and we need a new keeper in the summer.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  3. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just me, but whatever errors he makes are mostly fixable, so while I'm not averse to a change there I don't rate it a high priority at the moment. For today I certainly don't lay any of the goals at Ramsdale's feet.

cantona94, NorthBank and Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  4. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    His shot stopping this calendar year has been terrible. Anything on target that is not at approximately shoulder height is probably going in. He doesn't get close to so many shots, and can't close down the angle for attackers. The first half of last season he was saving everything, then in the second half he was statistically one of the worst keepers in the league at shot stopping, and people said it was because he was injured. He certainly is not injured now, but that poor shot stopping has continued.

Unless he turns things around, we cannot go into next season with him as our #1. Maybe you don't sell him, but you relegate him to cup keeper, and get a new starter.

5. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    I find it hard to get too upset about Arsenal losing a single match after winning the first 5, when they led 60/40 in possession, 16-10 in shots and 1.52-1.47 in xG.

My concern is that this is the second time recently that Arteta has taken his squad on the road against an opponent that is really only capable scoring with counter-attacks (sp*rs last season being the other one) and he's played a front footed high line that asks a LOT of players like Holding or Cedric or Saliba or Sambi. I get wanting to play his style of football, regardless of the opponent, but I'd like to see a little more cynicism in a match like this.

I don't think changing the back 4 and DM entirely at home against Everton is the answer. For Zurich, I don't really care, rest anyone that needs a rest.

6. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think you have to switch for the Everton game because we need to put in place a system that we can stick to going forward while Partey is not around. Sambi is clearly not the answer, so let us find something else that works. We can't switch systems and personnel every week.

For the Europa League games - do as much of a full rotation as possible (since we don't have a big enough squad to swap everyone). In the league - settle on something stable. Don't play something against Everton that we aren't going to play in the games that follow: Brentford (a), sp*rs (h), Liverpool (h), Leeds (a), City (h).

7. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Partey trained this morning. I don't think major changes are needed for Zurich, Everton, PSV and Brentford. Then 2 weeks of international break before sp*rs to get healthy and reassess.

8. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Good points. A loss is good gunners. When on a hot streak, it humbles you. Now we can adjust before the next fixtures and the NLD.

On counter attack I agree. We have to do better, but also united and Rashford on his day, took their chances .

This is what Spurs do also. So we have to prevent this in the derby.

Next up Everton. They don't concede a lot this year and draw a lot but are beatable. Brentford too. We need points before OCT.

CarlosKaiser repped this.
  9. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    That's a bit harsh. Vernaelen scored in set pieces. But honestly what do you think on our defensive line up. Should it be white and Saliba? Won't we be a bit "short" in height or?

We could have used Partey today. DM remains prime window target.

10. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    we only had three shots on target and all theee of United’s goals were in the counter.

This wasn’t a good Arsenal performance. United weren’t good either, but we effectively gave them three goals and our attack couldn’t take the big chances, particularly Ødegaard in attack and switching off defending.

DutchCane repped this.
  11. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Saliba is 6’4” and White is probably a better defender than Gabriel. Gabriel’s big strength is he isn’t quiet but he don’t bring calmness to the defense.

DutchCane and Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  12. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He isn’t a flop because he can work on things, but he also bring uncertainty to the back line.

DutchCane and Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  13. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Agreed. He's saved our bacon many a time. But long term I kind of see Rewinder's point. Hardly our priority with DM cover being it. We all know by now Partey is unreliable.

DutchCane and DaPrince84 repped this.
  14. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Snipped out some thought I think are important: namely; we lookly very shakey when the other team counters...

DutchCane repped this.
  15. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting comment, because as I recall, once he stepped in for Leno last season, his command of the back line was immediately what everyone pointed to as far as how he was different/better than Leno.

Maybe it was just that he was younger/hungrier/louder. Regardless, he has solid tools. If we want to play "world class squad" to win the league this season, which position in our 11 isn't up for grabs? Let Arteta at least respond to this match.

16. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York

I think he's regressed somewhat and like his Manc counterpart has a discernible weakness at the near post this year

17. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Its the one feature of the "possession based" style in the Pep school. You are asking your CB's or last defender to be switched on at all times. United were not good, they just took their chances. I knew that the refs were going to help United, cause if that VARce decision goes our way they don't win that game.

Deep Wilcox, Shen-O and Cop Shoot Cop repped this.
  18. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York

The key loss yesterday was not having El Nenny, one thing he does extremely well is cover the base, and keep the ball. In a possession based side he's almost undroppable in a game like this where transitions are at a premium and ball security is vital.

19. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Him and Gabriel are vocal and boisterous, not necessarily the qualities one associates with the best of the best at their positions IMO

Deep Wilcox repped this.
  20. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    I still don't like the midfield parts we have. IMO we need another profile. I know Arteta is working on Partey the way Pep worked with Rodri, but I need to see something this year and i haven't seen it. El Nenny with Lokonga and another profile is needed.

I know I'm gonna sound hipster here but I would like Diawara who is now at Anderlecht. We need more "legs" that are able to cover ground and move positionally. If you look at City, and LFC when they're not shiite that's what they have.

21. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not injured now? I don't know, he clearly felt something in the Villa match and it wasn't known if he'd be ready until shortly before the match.

Nevertheless, I'm not attributing any of the goals he's given up this season to injury. But which goals has he been at fault for this season? I can't think of any other than the Maddison goal.

22. Shen-O

Shen-O Guest

What drives me so mad. 2-2 and we’re not pushing high up like its 2-1 and get countered. I said all week this would happen and it did. I hate how history tells us all we need to know about United fixtures.

23. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hopefully this loss leads to some serious retooling from Arteta. If Partey is out, his system fails. We got lucky we could dominate a weak Vila and Fulham, but even then they scored and we didn't put them to bed.

But against United, we were shown up. And it will happen against City/Pool/Spurs/Newcastle/Chelscum.

It will especially happen against Pool and Spurs who hit fast counters hard, which has been an achilles heel for us for 3 years now.

United weren't good, but all it good was a decent through ball and twice Artetas formation fell to shit.

Elneny isn't great, but if we have him in the team those goals get cut off by him because he doesn't ball chase or wander off like Sambi.

24. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Are we all now pretending that Elneny is some savvy experienced pro of a midfielder who sees out games against top 6 sides?

I recall him having one headless chicken performance a year or so ago where Arsenal won, but generally, other than that, he's been mediocre and involved in diabolically poor midfield play

A squaddie like him is just about good enough to see minutes in games, or step up in an emergency, but the whole reason he rides the bench is he is not good enough to be a starter at any serious european level side.

The fact that Sambi seems to be worse than him is alarming to be honest

Super Llama repped this.
  25. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    My issue is we have come into a season where Elneny should be 3rd choice, Sambi should be on loan learning somewhere that isn't the first team, and we should have someone else of top quality because its been what, 2 years now? And TP5 is completely unreliable.

NorthBank repped this.