Yale women’s soccer involved in admission fraud

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Glove Stinks, Mar 12, 2019.

1. staffstaff

staffstaff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 12, 2016
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There is a difference between presumption and fact, and there is a distinction between whether someone is legally “guilty” and factually “guilty”. So far, legally, there must not be anything in the eyes of the law, or UCLA, would move beyond where things are today. However, we know the facts are the facts. Doubtful UCLA will act on anything if the law doesn’t get involved. We all know decisions lacking morality are widely acceptable in society today. Also, morality standards are not the same for all people. Some just ride it out, they know people forget quickly...

Kurt Kline and TimB4Last repped this.
  2. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    #253 Eddie K, Sep 20, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    And the USC AD, Lynn Swann, suddenly resigned 3 days ago!
    Folks, I think we can all agree, there is A LOT more to learn about this scandal. The main guy, Singer, agreed to cooperate correct? So, they are probably processing evidence and indictments as fast as they can get through his phone and emails.
    Here's a not so wild assumption, these AD's agreed to depart as part of their own settlements with investigators, or their own governing boards. They may not be so nice to all those that actually cashed the checks or made roster room for non-athletes. Time will tell but hey, UNC got a slap on the wrist for actually faking classes so who really knows how it will end.

ping and TimB4Last repped this.
  3. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I totally disagree with this. The player was a manager according to some people on here. It is quite possible a higher up told her to roster this player and use her as a manager. Amanda then does so because it seems harmless and she gets a manager out of the deal. When you know nothing of this scandal at the time, it seems like no big deal. Amanda may not have known it was put on the paperwork as a recruit. Just don't judge until you know. Especially someone with tight USC ties. Isn't the USC water polo coach still employed? Yes one left in 2017. But this water polo connection was going on after that person left.

4. staffstaff

staffstaff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 12, 2016
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 30 years I have never seen a manager on the team website, listed on the roster, with a player bio, wearing a uniform. No way.

espola, outsiderview, ping and 3 others repped this.
  5. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    And, how many rosters have you checked for managers?
    I am not saying it is normal. I am saying as a subordinate you do not have a say if your boss tells you to do something that is by all accounts just a bit weird but not illegal. And, the coach does not do the roster or the media guide. So perhaps the source of angst should be the sports information office rather than the coach.

I have no dog in this fight. I just am shocked that adults are so narrow minded and judge without facts. You want to go after Cromwell, yet ignore the USC water polo coach.

6. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Go check out the water polo message boards, the USC coach is getting absolutely slated.

ping repped this.
  7. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This whole women's college message board is anti-UCLA so I'm not surprised. AS soon as something pops up, it doesn't matter if other schools like USC or Stanford are involved, there are many people on here that are either USC or Stanford stans to the point where they believe nothing is wrong with their schools but oh boy, that UCLA school is terrible! Oh my gosh, lets get rid of that awful coach of theirs so our PAC-12 schools can get the 1st seeds. I laugh so hard when we beat USC every year and I'm looking forward to those Stanford fans again, especially hypocritical soccer dads that shouted to our players and called them spoiled entitled girls.

I, on the other hand, am not delusional and would totally understand the consequences if Cromwell is found guilty but so far so good. This fake "player" wasn't a player at all but a meaningless team manager and I've seen every single Bruins game while attending grad school during the period this scandal occurred and no way was this person ever seen or used on the field. So far, we don't even have evidence she was ever used period.

8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

This is a soccer site. Go find a water polo site or a sailing site.

It would be easier if you told us what other programs had players they gave state money to and fake rostered as players.

Putting her in a uniform was more than weird. It was an attempt to deceive as to what her position was and how she got there.

ping repped this.
  9. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Outside of UCLA, are there any other current head coaches implicated in any way, shape, or form? USC coach, long gone. Yale coach, gone.

ping repped this.
  10. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    What money was spent on her? She was not on scholarship as far as anyone has ever stated. Wearing a uniform for a photo does not cost money. Managers get photos in team media guides. There was zero financial cost. Of course she was enrolled illegally. But, my point is not that it wasn't bad. It was. It was about who was responsible. The only person we know so far is the men's coach, based on the idictments.

11. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    If we are talking women's soccer, I believe you are correct. But, I also believe the Stanford Sailing coach, UCLA men's coach, and Wake Forest Volleyball coaches were sent packing in this mess.

12. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    You do realize that you are on BigSoccer, not BigVolleyball or BigSailing? Then within that, you are on a Women's College Soccer subsection. The point being, who cares about those others for the purposes of this discussion?

staffstaff and ping repped this.
  13. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #265 Cliveworshipper, Sep 23, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    the illegality of it tells you the story. The only question is whether Cromwell was an accessory to the illegal act.i believe it is a duty of a state employee to report fraud.

The state of California subsidizes UCLA’s budget to the tune ofi $525,000,000.00 USD a year. I don’t believe that includes the employee pension benefits.
    Amanda cromwell’s Salary is listed at $368,572.00 gross pay as a state employee.
    Any student who goes there is getting the fruits of that subsidy from the taxpayer. So any student admitted fraudulently has tolen a share of the$525 million.

And under Chianti Dan, the athletic department has been running a 24 million dollar shortfall, so at least some of that came from the state as well.
    That’s probably why the fraud was tolerated, or perhaps promoted.

staffstaff, ping and TimB4Last repped this.
  14. staffstaff

staffstaff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 12, 2016
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over 30 years involved in college athletics as a coach, and in administration, I would say I have checked hundreds of rosters. I don't know any coach at the D-I level that would issue a manager a uniform with a number, and then put her on the website as a player. She is still listed on the UCLA website as a midfielder, not a manager! Again, having worked with SID's most of my working life, I can tell you that the SID at UCLA did not issue her a numbered uniform, place her in the team picture, and submit her name for the UCLA team website. I also doubt the SID drafted a player bio for her, and made the decision about her position, a midfielder, as still listed on the UCLA site. I also believe if this was forced on the coach by someone above her pay grade, we all would have heard about it, even before Varsity Blues even became a thing!

outsiderview and ping repped this.
  15. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    As a former college coach, multiple times was asked to take someone on the team (donor daughter, etc.) Now I never worked at any schools where I would need to flag them as an athlete for enrollment purposes, but there was no way someone was going on my roster without my knowledge or permission. NO CHANCE!

TimB4Last repped this.
  16. Respect the Game

PSG
    United States
    Apr 17, 2019
    USA
    Unless the alleged player paid her own way, she was present and in UCLA gear and on the field after they beat Duke in the College Cup 2 yrs ago. I will assume she was present at the Stanford/UCLA game as well. That's money spent. She was on the practice squad I heard as well. Swag costs $$$. True soccer players would have loved that stuff.

But all of this is what needs to get investigated a little more closely.

17. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    I think we are losing sight of what the crime is here. It is not being rostered, it’s not being pictured in a uniform, it’s not traveling with the team as a manager, it is getting a preferential admissions slot through women’s soccer for money. The questions for Cromwell are did she receive money? I doubt it based on the fact she wasn’t indicted. Did she knowingly put this “player” on the list for some other quid pro quo (an IOU from the boss or Salcedo)? That’s what this is really going to come down to, and that’s where anyone is going to have a hard time convincing me that she used one of the limited soccer recruiting spots for a non player out of the goodness of her heart.

ping repped this.
  18. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    No, it’s not just whether she received direct money. the question is was state services such as admission and attendance received trough fraud and who abetted it. Whether she received money or not, she is an accomplice to state and federal ( 18% of UC system money is federal) fraud if she knowingly participated in the fraudulent acts. Participating in fraud for other benefits ( her career) is just as much fraud.

As the most recent indictment announcement stated, there WILL be more to follow.

I’m staying tuned to see if Cromwell or the chain of command above her gets indicted, including Chianti Dan.

19. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I agree with all of this except one phrase at the end "limited soccer recruiting spots"? Since when is she limited in recruiting? Do you know how UCLA recruiting works? Is she limited in how many players she can roster? Because, I have never heard that she is. This is likely just an extra person that had no baring on anyone else in the soccer program. Admissions fraud for sure. No doubt about it. Just no harm to soccer in my opinion, based on what I believe I know about their recruiting process.

20. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Are you saying you would expect a coach to make waves about taking a manager on their roster? Honestly this is so petty in the realm of thinking you are just putting some donors daughter as a favor to be your manager.

I too coached in college and disagree with a lot of what you said above.

If Cromwell took orders from above her pay grade about a manager, she is not going to scream to the rooftops. She would likely just enjoy the services of said manager. She isn't risking her job over rolling on a supervisor over something that seemed odd, but not illegal. You are all so out to get her, but seem to ignore the role the SID or supervisor MAY have played in it.

21. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Hey jackass, I was just answering the question. I was not sure about what the OP was asking. Also, who gives you the right to speak for everyone. I think many of us are interested in the entire scandal, not just soccer aspect of it.

22. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I agree with everything you said. But, remember the scandal was unknown then. Cromwell may not have known she was doing anything besides taking on a manager. We do not know if she knew this player was illegally run through admissions. Again, I have no dog in the fight. I just think people should let the facts come out before they try to get her job. Obviously some envious folks on here who want to be the next UCLA coach.

McSkillz repped this.
  23. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    If she was taking on a manager, why did she roster the person as a player in uniform as a midfielder? She knew it was a ruse and did it anyway.

As to jealous folks on the forum, I’m pretty sure an 11 foot pole isn’t long enough to keep away from this administration. Everybody around that athletic department is now tainted.Guerrero is trying to exit before the stuff hits the fan. Not sure it will be soon enough.