Yale women’s soccer involved in admission fraud

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Glove Stinks, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    just dropping. Yale women’s soccer coach arrested in huge scheme to rig admissions of rich kids whose parents paid millions to get their kids in big name universities

2. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    As an add on the news did not name the coach so it could have been someone in the past. And I should clarify it was an inditement not an arrest

3. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #3 Glove Stinks, Mar 12, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  4. chch

chch Member

Aug 31, 2014
    #4 chch, Mar 12, 2019
    just goes to show how easy it is to be a women's soccer coach in the top half of the Ivy. Yale was particularly low key in recruiting, but affluent sports like that have kids beating down the door. I think the only pro female yale player was a true walkon! Pretty sure anyone on this board could coach Harvard, Yale, Princeton to 500 record. Two "recruits" about 450K each for a slot. Also, except for the literal tippy top handful there are 100s-1000s of female soccer players that really aren't that different.

"On or about November 13,2017, Singer sent MEREDITH an athletic "profile" that falsely described Yale Applicant 1 as the co-captain of a prominent club soccer team in southern California. 13. MEREDITH designated Yale Applicant 1 as a recruit for the Yale women's soccer team—^thereby facilitating her admission to Yale—despite the fact that, as he knew at the time, Yale Applicant 1 did not play competitive soccer. 14. On or about January 1, 2018, after Yale Applicant 1 was admitted to Yale, Singer mailed MEREDITH a check in the amount of $400,000, drawn on one of the KWF charitable accounts. 15. In or about the spring and summer of 2018, relatives of Yale Applicant 1 paid SINGER approximately $1.2million in multiple installments, including approximately $900,000 that was paid into one oft he KWF charitable accounts.

On or about April 12, 2018, MEREDITH met with the father of Yale Applicant 2 in a hotel room in Boston, Massachusetts. 19. During the meeting, which was surreptitiously recorded by agents of the Federal Bureau ofInvestigation ("FBI"), MEREDITH stated that he would designate Yale Applicant 2 as a recruit for the Yale women's soccer team in exchange for payments to himselftotaling $450,000.

https://www.justice.gov/file/1142886/download

5. FreshPow

FreshPow New Member

United States
    Jun 12, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. sec123

sec123 Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    And this nugget .... At USC, Singer made payments totaling approximately $350,000 to a private soccer club controlled by two USC coaches, prosecutors said. In exchange for the payments, the coaches designated four children of Singer’s clients as recruits for the soccer team, even though none of them played competitive soccer.

Could the club be Newport Beach based Slammers? Don’t know enough of the landscape to know who these club ‘directors’ would be, but I am sure someone would be able to figure out who the USC coaches are/were. Glove ????

7. chch

chch Member

Aug 31, 2014
    seems like this would be an NCAA violation. ^^^ basically using money not from the University to pay university coaches? or is this just like the coaches running a "clinic" that is supposed to have nothing to do with the school ?

8. sec123

sec123 Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Rutgers coach runs PDA, Georgetown coach involved w/ a DC Metro club. Many more. Not uncommon

9. sec123

sec123 Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    During my kids recruiting years, the coach at one of the ‘elite’ catholic academic institutions made it a point to note that he had what he considered a ‘golden ticket’ once every few years to use with the admissions department on a recruit that didn’t quite cut it academically but felt was a good fit, had a good work ethic, would succeed and would, frankly, help the team. I guess in this case w/ Yale ... all that plus a couple hundy large will get er done. Disgusting!

10. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    It shows why Yale was so subpar under Rudy. Wasting his recruiting admissions slots on non-soccer players.

TimB4Last repped this.
  11. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What doesn't add up to me is how Meredith explained that he wasn't getting the allowed number of players that the Ivies can get through being supported in the admissions process. If I am not mistaken, the Ivies allow seven supported spots in women's soccer. Those spots are coveted due to Ivies being difficult to gain admission to. Rarely, if ever, are there less than all seven of those supported athletes enrolling. Those supported spots are so coveted because at a school such as Yale, with a 6 to 7% acceptance rate, the athlete, as long as they qualify on the Ivy Academic Index, will have around a 90% chance of being admitted.

This all seems too far-fetched to be real. I hope that those involved face dire consequences under the due process of the law.

12. HeadSpun

HeadSpun Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If I recall correctly, Ali Khosroshahin (USC HC prior to McAlpine) had close ties to the Slammers.

13. HeadSpun

HeadSpun Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    From Los Angeles Times:

"Two USC athletic department employees — a high-ranking administrator and a legendary head coach — were fired Tuesday after being indicted in federal court in Massachusetts for their alleged roles in a racketeering conspiracy that helped students get into elite colleges and universities by falsely designating them as recruited athletes.

A USC official speaking on condition of anonymity confirmed that senior associate athletic director Donna Heinel and men’s and women’s water polo coach Jovan Vavic were fired after allegedly receiving bribes totaling more than $1.3 million and $250,000, respectively, to help parents take advantage of the relaxed admissions standards for athletes at USC even though their children were not legitimately being recruited as athletes.

Former USC women’s soccer coach Ali Khosroshahin, who was fired in 2013, and his former assistant coach, Laura Janke, who left the school in 2014, were also named in the indictment for allegedly fabricating athlete profiles for the prospective students. Khosroshahin and Janke allegedly received payments totaling nearly $350,000 sent to their private soccer club.

Federal prosecutors on Tuesday indicted dozens of people — including UCLA men’s soccer coach Jorge Salcedo and actresses Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin — in connection with an elaborate scheme aimed at getting students into elite colleges"

14. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #15 Glove Stinks, Mar 12, 2019
    Previous SC coach Ali started a non descript club in Newport Beach after getting fired at SC. It is not affiliated with slammers. Definitely shady guy who left the SC soccer program a hot,steaming pile of crap KD has done a remarkable job getting it back on track and is as straight laced as any coach I’ve ever met

ytrs and socalsoccer23 repped this.
  15. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    #16 Eddie K, Mar 12, 2019
    It's safe to call this a Big F-ing Deal. As big as the Adidas/Louisville story. People getting fired already today. More to follow. Here's a simple summary for the Meredith/Yale part of the story.
    (ps Faherty's job is named for Meredith and while he has not even coached a game yet at Yale, if you google "Yale women's soccer" right now, it's not good news. Tough)
    ----
    Former Yale women’s soccer coach charged in bribery scandal
    By News Desk / March 12, 2019

Former Yale University women’s soccer coach Rudy Meredith has been charged in a major college admissions bribery scandal, along with over 40 others following a federal investigation.

The U.S. District Court of Massachusetts released charges on Tuesday morning against Meredith, alleging that the longtime Yale head coach took bribes, totaling well into the six-figures to push through applications for athletic scholarships containing fraudulent information.

According to multiple media reports, the federal court documents allege that Meredith doctored two applications for athletic scholarships, one of which was for an applicant who was not even a soccer player. On that particular application. Meredith, who coached at Yale from 1995-2018, allegedly added a line to a teenager’s application, saying that she was co-captain of a high-level girls team in California, when she in fact did not play the sport at all.

Meredith is included among several dozen names included in the bribery scandal, most notably actresses Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin. Federal prosecutors have identified over 40 cases across various prestigious institutions, including Georgetown, Wake Forest, UCLA and Stanford, among others.

The cases range from 2011-2019, and involve an estimated $25 million in bribes funneled from parents, to an admissions consultant, to coaches, in order to produce phony college acceptances for their children, as non-legitimate athletic program recruits.

hykos1045 repped this.
  16. sec123

sec123 Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    From September 2013 - https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/col...-interview:-problems-with-recruiting_aid30165

I actually had an account at the time and I read the full article but the video is precious.

Believe it or not, afterward I sent an email to Ali to let him know that his opinions on the craziness of girls soccer recruiting hit home as my kid was a 9th grader at the time getting a few emails a week from coaches. He sent me an email back thanking me. Dude was pretty slick.

Scamming USC to enrich himself. Pathetic. Scamming Yale to enrich oneself. Pathetic. My kid ended up at a place where the clear message was - under 1300 SAT need not apply.

17. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're say=ing my hometown USD Toreros were in this as well. I'm curious how. I've watched a little woso there.

18. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Where's there's money like this, there's sexual favors dwarfing it.

19. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yale, Southern California, Stanford, UCLA, Texas, Wake Forest, Georgetown, and the University of San Diego are the ones I see, plus I think some others' names came up in the complaint, but perhaps attempts with them were unsuccessful. It looks like the schools are saying any participation by them was by rogue employees who did it in secret.

20. GKparent2019

GKparent2019 Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    I would think if the HC was doing things like this, the AC's all knew what was going on. How can HC use kids that don't even play the sport in a slot and the AC's not know? How is a HC getting so much money and the AC's not getting any to keep mouth shut?

21. Lord Kril

Lord Kril Member

Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Jul 3, 2018
    Is it possible that the AC isn't putting the final list of players through the process?

22. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    At an Ivy school how could an AC not know? As an example, let's say that at Ivy school X there are 9 true freshmen with roster spots. That means that 7 of those 9 were spots that were supported through the admissions process. The other 2 players were admitted to the school on their own merit and not supported so, essentially, they would be the equivalent of a walk-on.* Any AC that is in tune with the team and the incoming recruits is going to know what players the received the 7 supported spots. This is something that an AD that is doing his or her job should also know. Perhaps others in higher administrative positions would or should know as well.

My guess is that the Yale AD is a bit nervous right now. Other administrator at Yale may also be nervous. Administration at the other implicated schools are probably also unsettled. When all is said and done the scope and magnitude of this scandal will dwarf the Adidas scandal.

* Often they're "walk-ons" in name only. My niece attended and played at an Ivy but didn't get a supported spot. The coach told her that he wasn't supporting her through the admissions process but if she were admitted to the school she was on the team.

23. upper left

upper left Member

Crystal Palace
    Uruguay
    Jan 27, 2018
    The current AD fired RM (or maybe he truly 'retired') after she was on the job for just a few months. Perhaps the former AD who retired in June is the one who should probably be lawyering-up right now. You have to wonder if both ADs (current and former) knew of all of this was going on as Rudy flipped a year ago according to the complaint.

24. Lord Kril

Lord Kril Member

Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Jul 3, 2018
    What if the HC tells the assistant, there are only 6 spots. the 7th player goes on a piece of paper that the AC never sees. its possible.

Seems to me pretty easy to add a kid at the final stages after the top 6 players have already been allocated. Also, the Comm staff (for a press release) is only going to know which kids the HC gives them to know. The only 5-6 people who know the trail are the HC, admissions liaison, compliance director, associate AD in charge of sport, admissions coordinator. Do you think any of these people have the time to check to make sure every single kid in every single class in every single sport shows up to the first day of practice?

RUfan repped this.