Yahoo Sports: 10 who should be on the radar of Garber and the CEOs of MLS clubs

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by RedBulls, Aug 22, 2007.

1. RedBulls

RedBulls New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    biggest shocker:

10. Pierluigi Collina (age 47, retired, Italian). OK, I know it's cheating by choosing a referee as No. 10. But Collina is a cult figure and a truly sensational referee. Scandalously pensioned off in Italy due to his age, the greatest ref in history would be a brilliant addition to MLS and would help improve refereeing standards that are far from perfect.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mls/news;_y...?slug=ro-mlstargets082207&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

2. scheck

scheck Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Yahoo Sports: 10 players who should be on the radar of Garber and the CEOs of MLS clubs

The average age of the people he suggested was around 35. I'm not sure that's the best way to do things, obviously some people will be stars even when they're older, like henry, but there are countless other players that could come to MLS. Overall I wasn't too impressed with his list.

3. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Re: Yahoo Sports: 10 players who should be on the radar of Garber and the CEOs of MLS clubs

He lost me here:

Sorry, I don't want to be told by some British guy that we should be a retirement league for Europeans.

Although I do like the idea of Collina.

4. Soccerdude redded

Oct 14, 1999
    NY

Colina is a good deal to get ,because he can teach our refs a thing or two.As far as the players you can get 2 or three more years from most then, heck the Mexican dude is only 28 years old. I hear next year C-Bus will get a few young Argentine players in the camp just like RSL.

5. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If people would do there research. MLS is into getting players on there last year of their contracts NEVER paying a high transfer fee thats why:

Ronaldo: has 2 more years on Milan contract.

Zinedine Zidane: retired GET OVER IT.

Rafael Marquez: wishful thinking.

Juan Sebastian Veron: wants to play Copa Libertadores with Estudiantes and is injuried and will be 34 by the time he wants to play in MLS..... And just resigned with Estudiantes.....

6. lakaix15

lakaix15 New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    USA

i think that guy is retarted in yahoo sports and knows nothing about soccer

7. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He lost me early in the article. But here's a statement where he really lost me.

But while the deal is on ice for now, it may not be completely dead, with D.C. desperate to get a big-name drawing card to add some spice to its impressively solid and well-drilled squad.

First, would Veron really be a big name draw? I doubt it. Woud he be a great add to any team in MLS, yes. With having one of the better attendances in the league, I don't think that DC is desperate for a big name draw. That is unless some how they could get a clone of a young Etcheverry.

8. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo

Absolutely brilliant. The only sports official to ever have his face adorn a t-shirt! I'd love to see this, really. MLS needs some quality officiating, and it would be great if he could come here and open an academy here for referees. The Beckham academy, the Friedel Academy, the Collina Academy.

9. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago

1) Interesting question. I agree with the second "yes" and mildly disagree with the "i doubt it". I think Veron would be a big draw with soccer fans who do not yet support MLS. That is a large target audience. I believe that they made up a big part of the Beckham crowd in NY as Ives mentioned in his post game article. The question for DC would be "will he draw to pay for himself and then some."

2) Agreed. Still, from a wanting the league to grow perspective, I would love to see something that would take DC from a great level of existing support and then add another 5,000 consistently. I guess they could sign an El Salvadoran. :D

3) I am guessing you can probably still find several strands of his hair -- enmeshed in the turf; in his old locker; in the whirlpool water; stuck to the churro stand on the main concourse; on Kevin Payne's Layzboy -- with plenty of DNA to make your own mini-marco. Of course, "Mini-Marco" translated from Spanish is pronounced "Cienfuegos."

;)

10. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1. I don't see Ryan Giggs EVER wearing any shirt than Manchester United. He will retire a red devil.

2. Zidane? Sorry if was going to come back and play he would have done so by now. That ship has sailed. I think he would have had a Beckham like impact if he came this year, he didnt.

3. Makalele just signed a contract extention with Chelsea, he's going nowwhere in the near term.

4. Veron wants too much money. He's a 2M a year guy at best. I heard he wanted Beckham type salary, sorry Juan not happening.

5. Larrson left United after they begged him to stay on. You really think he will up and play for MLS? He is finishing his career at home in Sweden end of story.

6. Henry? Is this a joke.

7. Marquez is an outside shot but i really doubt he is looking to come to the states right now.

8. Cannavaro is actually a good idea. Would love him at NY.

9. Ronaldo. Yes, hes the type of player MLS could market and is the second most recognizable soccer name in the United States. It would be a risk though based on his fitness/injury levels recently. But when healthy he is a moster.

11. Curva Nord

Curva Nord Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Of the players, I don't think that any of them are a great choice. This would be repeating the sins of the past. Beckham is working out well because he has something to prove here. Unless other DP signing take that same attitude, they won't be good for the league.

Ronaldo would be the worst signing. After watching him in Milan for years (season ticket holder for several years while he was at Inter), he has no desire or work ethic. He will only get worse with age.

Collina is a great idea. I think it would be absolutely brilliant if they brought him in. Says we want to be a world class league and this includes world class refs. Won't put new butts in the seats but will give more credibility to bring some younger stars (before their prime is done) that will put more butts in the seats.

12. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago

1. Agreed. If, and its a big IF, he ever went anywhere after Man United, I would guess a Welsh club to close out his career. That would be if he truly can't get the bug out of his system past his useful time at United. I have never heard any indication he wants to come here.

2. Agreed. Still :)D) he is intriguing enough and would be a big enough draw that I think the league should lob a VERY private call into him once every couple of months for maybe another year. After that, he's Cantana working the beach soccer circuit.

3. Agreed and he will be too old at the end of that contract.

4. Agreed. Give him 1.5 and all of his image rights. He can dream about that 250 million.

5. Agreed. Not a chance.

6. I disagree completely. He will play for France through 2010 which is when his club contract is up as well. I believe he wants to come here and he is in that very small goup below Beckham that would still be a huge draw here. It won't happen until 2010, but I think this one might be likely.

7. Not now, but again, after WC 2010 I can see it.

8. Agreed.

9. Agreed and I don't see this not happening.

The bottom line is that there is a group out there that is perfect for MLS. Great players who already love the US, who aren't bothered by travel, who will be relatively young but near the end of their international careers and most importantly, who WANT to come to MLS and leave a mark a la Beckham and Blanco.

The one glaring omission to the list is a guy who has already stated a desire to come earlier rather than later -- Shevchenko.

13. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not a shocker. I suggested this about 18 months ago when he was being forced to retire, and I still stand by it. Even if they don't want to put Collina on the field, they should hire him in some position of real power and ask him to reform reffing in the US.

Of course, I believe even MLS officials fall under the domain of the USSF and not the league, so I won't hold my breath for any real change to come about. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

14. alessiob

alessiob New Member

Nov 9, 2006
    h-town

15. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow, this article left me thinking, what REAL stars should the MLS be looking at. I think I have a shortlist of 5:

Andrii Shevchenko: Goes without saying. Probably a name almost recognizable as Beckham, who wants to end his career in the US. What the US needs to develop is strikers, and he is a guy to give a good learning curve to young Yanks.

Duilio Davino-A long time player whose time at America may be coming to a close, a recognisable star who still has plenty of game left in him. Considering Bornstein will probably be going overseas next year, might as well get a player Chivas USA fans can really get excited about.

Omar Bravo- And speaking of Chivas, how about the other one in Guadalajara? And how about this guy? Blanco could pave they way for a lot of successful Mexican strikers, and the key is getting guys in their prime as opposed to washouts like Hermosillo and Hernandez. Besides, in Superliga action, he's looked absolutely stunning against MLS defenses.

Atiba Hutchinson: Who? Atiba, talented player who is quite popular, with Canadians. If the MLS is serious about adding a team in Canada, there should be serious consideration in bringing him home and building a side around his skill.

Jay-Jay Okocha: If the Yahoo guy is so interested in signing 35-Year olds, at least they can sign somebody who is not only recognizable, but also fun to watch and can teach our midfielders something. Languising in Qatar, I'm sure he's love a Wanchope-Esque second chance. And isn't there already talk about bringing him to MLS?

16. Curva Nord

Curva Nord Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

17. garnet&blackattack

garnet&blackattack New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The only ones on that list I disagree with are Larssen (age), Zidane (age and other reasons), Ronaldo (knees), and Makelele (a lesser-known defender to people not in the soccer circle. at least cannavaro is a more recognizable defender to more people).

Giggs is another questionable call, but if the MLS could get him literally next year, then i'd agree with a move to MLS. After that, I'd say nay. However, I don't see him leaving Man U ever, so I don't see that as a real possibility anyway.

Shevschenko (spelling's wrong i know) as mentioned by a a previous poster is a serious possibility. I'm surprised that wasn't mentioned in the article.

18. Riotom9

Riotom9 Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Texas

19. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not even close to being as recognizable as Beckham. I've always like soccer but I didn't really follow it until this year. I've known Beckham's name for years, but I didn't know who Shevchenko was until the World Cup. If you are referring to real soccer fans, yes, they will most definitely know who Shevchenko is. But if you mean casual fans, then no, the name won't mean anything to them.

20. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Former Dallas Burn coach Mike Jeffries had a shot at signing Atiba when he was 19 and passed. He and Wanchope are two of the greatest "coulda' been" players in MLS history.

21. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Looks like MLS isnt the only league with shoddy referees. Maybe the premiership could use Collina. Anyone see Rob Styles in the Chelsea Liverpool match. That was worse then anything I have seen by any MLS ref.

22. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Even Chelsea couldn't believe they got that call. As a casual Chelsea fan, I wholeheartedly admit it wasn't a penalty.

23. alessiob

alessiob New Member

Nov 9, 2006
    h-town

24. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah. . all those names make me resent FieldTurf even more.

25. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No he didn't. He never played for Milan during last year's Champions League because he was ineligible. He was not allowed to play in CL for Milan last year. He did, however, play in Serie A games for Milan.