YA Feel-Good story of the year?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jri, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    It HAS to be DeMerit. All else is commentary.

Going into this poll, I'd be lying if I didn't say I had my personal preferences prior to reading the thread:

I'm a huge fan of Beasley and Bocanegra from their time in Chicago.

I played against McBride what seems like an eternity ago.

But, I'll have to go with DeMerit's (sp.) remarkable ability to pursue his dreams, and to parlay his hard work into his current position at Watford. Simply, the little guy makes good. I for one will be cheering for him to do well.

...And whoever called for Arena to cap DeMerit (sp.) ahead of Califf, Albright, and Suarez was dead-on.

2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DeMerit has to be the feel good stort of the year no doubt. The more I think about it the more I realize how remarkable it is. I hope this isn't his 15 minutes of fame. This has already been a remarkable year for Yanks everywhere and I hope it continues to be a trend.

3. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I think two for Mathis should make it, dribble from midfield and pop up volley he finishes perfectly.

4. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why wasn't the Convey move to Reading included in the poll...oh, right.

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Wrong poll. That's the DC United Feel-Good story of the year.

Buh-Bye. Seriously folks, the answer is Robbie Russell. Personally I wish it could have been Wade Barrett, but he seems to have falled off the face of the earth. Just a short while ago he's was talked about as a NAT.

6. rorschach

rorschach New Member

Mar 1, 2004
    Kirkwood Atlanta
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore

Sad but true, however, Ga. boys haven't dun so well lately with Clint and Zell, but I know we're all a bit off...

I think that Cher. form and accomplishments in a top league is of true merit...not to take away from the rest.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [useless trivia I retain from college]Unique among European monarchs, the leader is NOT called the King of Belgium, but King of the Belgians. It connotes that he is the leader of the people, not the land.[/useless trivia I retain from college]

8. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    As much as Gooch is making waves and looks set for a big-time career, I'll take the Demerit story for the "made for TV" movie. What's unbelievable is how his upside potential seems to be that much more recognized and appreciated in the UK than was the case in the States. From the little I've read and seen of this kid, it looks like the future could be very bright for him. Through determination he's proven he belongs and apparently Watford think so too. Is he Nats material, I don't know. Hope we get some better looks at him in the near future.

9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I would content <again> that Jay's story ought not be considered all that surprising. If you combine a decent athlete with professional coaching, you can get a pretty good player.

Someone like Demerit probbaly would not be able to get the same advice on the tactical approach to the game in the sub-MLS leagues in the US that he could get in the England whose lower leagues are full of former Premier League and ColaShip level participants. Once used to a style and improved on skills, a talented athlete can begin making his move to a higher echelon play and then keep improving further. In that sense, his fate is akin to a 5th-7th Rd pick in the NFL who comes far less heralded than his more illustrious teammates but manages to have a solid career nonetheless. To those who follow the NFL, these examples are too numerous to mention.

In the US, his opportunities by comparison would be limited.

Of course, some players never move above the Euro minors such as Regional Leagues in Germany or the Nationwide in England but at least they give "big time" a shot.

10. FabFiveFigo

FabFiveFigo Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Northern SC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd split my vote between DMB and Gooch. I'll also mention perhaps the most underrated YA feel good story: Brian West finishing the Norwegian season as the second highest (on average) overall rated player in the league. I want to say he did this on the comeback from an injury too, but I may have him confused with someone else.

11. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You know, this is a solid point. He prooved himself a total class act by the way he responded toa really tough situation.
    Also, SC being a pt captain on a team that is challenging for a title in one of the better euro leagues should not be underestimated as a feel good piece.

12. flame15

flame15 New Member

Nov 18, 2004
    Chicago
    To come from the half ass college soccer program of UIC all the way to the 6th richest league in the world is unreal. It's not like he came from a good respected college program like Indiana or UCLA where you actually learn the game. Absolutley remarkable what he's done for himself.