XM2Go (MyFi)

Discussion in 'Technology' started by servotron, Nov 4, 2005.

1. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    I just got one of these, I will say: I am so far VERY impressed.

It's got a built in FM transmitter, and it comes with just about everything you could ever, ever want to get it installed into any car, a home kit with antenna, and much more. Comes with standard mount, adhesive mount, and a cool vent mount that seems to work extremely well in my Mazda 3.

Also it can actually record up to 5 hours of content for on-demand playback. Another very cool feature.

I've been a XM listener for a year now, and I am very happy with this purchase. If you live in an area with terrestrial antennas (like the Twin Cities) it's unbeatable. VERY cool little gadget.

Of course, I might be heaping praise about it because I got it for free, but that's another story for another day [​IMG] If you're interested in XM, this is definitely something to check out!

2. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got one this summer. I've been an XM listener for a couple years now. I like it a lot. At school, I get perfect reception, even without my antenna in my classroom.

I get no reception at all in my home though. That kinda bites. Though I didn't get any with my SkyFi either, so that's no change. At least I can listen to XM online for free now.

I've tried almost everything to get reception in my house, but it's too solid.

3. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Santa came down my chimney the other night with one of these!!!

Wow.

I can't believe how different satellite radio is from the crap I've been listening to over the years. I live in Idaho so it's mostly conservative stuff like country, Top 40, AC/DC, and sports radio. Satellite radio is definately gonna expand my listening horizons and I say that as someone who really isn't a music freak. So far I've been listening to the urban and rock stations with occasional forays into the country section where I listen to "X-Country" and "Bluegrass Junction". The jazz stations seem good too. I do wish that XM had NFL though. There is just so much on XM that I am intrigued by but damn it's gonna be difficult to choose a couple of stations to listen to on a regular basis.

Up until now, I very, very rarely have music playing in the house, but with this thing I've got it hooked up to some small computer speakers that an audiophile won't lose sleep over, but it does the job for me, so now I have XM playing constantly as background when I'm at home.

At home I have to hook it up to the home attenna and the reception has been great. In the car I first used that small personal antenna suction cupped to the windshield near the rearview mirror and I'd say about 90-95% of the time I've gotten good reception. When I go under overpasses I temporarily lose the signal and sometimes if my car is heading in the wrong direction the signal isn't as strong.

But now I've got a ghetto set up for both of my cars....I just place the car antenna on the center of my dash near the bottom of the windshield. The signal is definately stronger and I don't lose it as often as I do with the personal antenna. Earlier today I drove up to my local ski hill and for most of the drive up the mountain I was getting reception, but when the hillside got steeper and the tree coverage thicker, I would lose the signal here and there. Driving back down the reception was not as good until I finally got about 5 miles away from the resort and less steep hillsides and less tree coverage.

I'm a bit concerned about the strength of the reception (if any) this thing will have when used in my gym. Yesterday I was waiting for my tires to get changed and in the waiting room I wasn't getting squat for reception. But the neat thing about this lil' gizmo is that you can record up to 5 hours of programming so I guess I could always use that feature if I can't get any reception, but it would be nice to receive live streaming.

Oh yeah...that damn vent mount doesn't work on my Focus or Escape. So I just lay it in the passenger seat or cram it in one of the spaces in the center console. My ghetto way of using the car antenna ain't the cleanest, but it works for me.

The XM2Go is definately alot more bulkier than my small Creative Labs MP3 player so I don't know how keen I am on wearing that thing on my hip in the gym or stuffed into my jersey pocket on a bike ride.

The FM modulator works good so far. But I have noticed that with some stations...mainly the urban ones...that the sound is more clear than other stations. I think sometime this week when I have some more free time to dink around with it I may jump around the different open frequencies to see what works best. Right now I'm on 88.9 and there are some church stations that sandwich it and depending on where you are in the valley, their signal can sometimes overlap onto this frequency.

How does XM's gigantic playlist compare to what you would find at comparable stations that play the same stuff? Like say you listen to a a rock or urban commercial station and then listen to the XM stations...are they the same or different?

I do wish XM had a Hawaiin/Polynesian music station. Even though alot of their stuff is very reggae'ish, it's also a very unique sounding genre.

I originally thought I was gonna bring this thing into the office each day, but I see that I can now listen to about 75 stations or so via online so I'll just do that and not worry about reception.

This is a pretty damn cool thing to have now!!! Thank you jolly ol' St. Nick!!! Just don't give me the bill for this at the end of the month!!!