XI reasons RSL will make the playoffs (MLSNet.com article)

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by bcstanding, Feb 7, 2008.

1. bcstanding

bcstanding New Member

Jan 31, 2007
    RioT Section 26!
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. RealSLC

RealSLC New Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Seitz will likely get a few starts but the job is Rimando's. You do have to wonder how long Seitz will stick around without starts? My guess is not long. If he's the future than he should probably start immediately.

3. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    Based on Seitz's 3 very poor starts last year, it appears he's not quite ready to be an MLS starter. It's hard to imagine any of the 13 other clubs starting him either (barring injuries). Question: If given 10 starts in a row, would Seitz raise his game enough? Who knows... But Kreis & RSL certainly don't have luxury of conducting such experiments. We need to win now--not in 2 years.

4. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Very true. If our defense can play decently, then maybe, MAYBE, Seitz will see considerable time. But as long as we need a savior in the net, Rimando is our man.

5. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When we were discussing "real" analysis in the other thread, a Jeff Bradley article wasn't exactly what I had in mind. Because of the format of his weekly column there isn't always much analysis therein, but Bradley has no need to pull punches. I welcome the article.

One thing about fan optimism last year versus fan optimism this year: last year columnists and MLS previews in other markets (or national ones) totally dismissed the optimism. I am looking forward to seeing how the analysts see the team shaping up, and this is the first step.

6. RealSLC

RealSLC New Member

Feb 2, 2007
    I'm not sure if 3 poor starts are enough to determine if Seitz is MLS ready. I seem to remember some pretty poor starts by Rimando last season.

For the record, I agree that the job is, and should be, Rimando's, but it's difficult for me to understand how Seitz can be so highly regarded in international play but not seen as being worthy of MLS starts.

7. Blitzz Supporter

May 23, 2004
    Centerville
    As far as the goalkeeper debate, Garth told Bill Riley yesterday that they get break this year, because Seitz will be gone with the U-23's most of the season. He also also said they like Reynish.

8. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    The difference is that Rimando in prior years had shown that he is a quality MLS keeper. Seitz has yet to prove this. He appears to have all of the physical skills and ability and has shown great promise with the youth NT, but he still has to prove that he is MLS worthy (which I think he will do at some point during the season.)