Wynalda to Bruce Arena: It's "now or never" for Taylor Twellman

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Nutmeg, Sep 17, 2003.

1. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, but rather than just your consideration of club/international I'd also suggest that too many people believe that 1+1=2 and therefore club success predicates international success or even justify that lack of international success vs. club success reflects a lack of ability.

The hard truth is that in any team sport you don't want 1+1=2 you would rather have 1+1=3. Don't forget that in soccer the success of a goalscoring team member at any level has as much to do with the individual play as to the combination play. Therefore everyone has to factor in 1st) how efficient (talented) is a striker once he has the ball in a scoring position, and 2nd) can he "show" effectively for the offensive transition?

Assuming Freddie Adu will live up to expectations, what is the single most important thing to his development? His efficiency? No, his ability to integrate that effectively into an offensive scheme. Soccer is not tennis, we need to get beyond the 1+1=2 mentality and realize that sometimes the most talented player isn't going to help the team.

Now, I personally think that TT needs more time to find out whether he can "gel" in the national team, but regardless if he can't soon show this ability then all arguments regarding his individual talent or lack thereof are really meaningless.

-HB

2. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I'm not entirely sold on Twellman and I do like Buddle, but I also think it's more complicated than; Buddle can dribble so he's got a better chance to make it at a higher level. This may not be the case at all.

It's possible that a player that relies on beating defenders 1 vs. 1 and creating things in MLS will not be able to do so against better individual players internationally or in a bigger league, while a guy who lacks the ability to be as spectacular will still be able to keep doing the simple effective things that have got him where he is.

Finishing your chances and positioning yourself properly will be at least somewhat effective skills in any game, anywhere. Dribbling around people requires that you are a better individual player than those you are playing against. The game's not always about flash and trash.

3. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    That is the main concern I have: most of Twellman's goals are the result of the ball being in just the right place at just the right time and his ability to hit it just before a defender/keeper can get there. I don't think he has a good enough shot to score regularly from outside 15 - 20 yards (International keepers are so much better than the average club keeper). And I just hope that his instincts/reflexes/quickness are enough to compensate for the faster game action at the international level.

The Nationwide first division is full of guys who score 20 goals per year every year (game in and game out) and yet when they get a chance to compete in the EPL, they just can't get much separation from defenders because the defenses on the top 15 or so club are "a yard or two faster and shrewder" than the defenders at the first division level.

Goal-scoring is a matter of inches (like being able to throw your three best pitches for strikes without tipping them) and split-seconds. Its only a matter of time before TT scores a goal or two with the Nats, but whether he becomes a goal machine or not - I am not sure.

And another issue - it is one thing to score goals against Costa Rica and Honduras. They are good teams. But is Twellman good enough to be an improvement on McBride and co. when we are playing teams like Germany, Mexico and (hopefully) Brazil in a World Cup? Remember that our quality (especially in scoring) has to improve before we can improve on our performance in the World Cup. Scoring goals against teams like Germany and Brazil in the knockout rounds is probably an order of magnitude more difficult than scoring in the group round.

4. divingheader

divingheader Member

Nov 10, 2001
    St John, NB, Canada
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the Revs/Colorado match last night. Not your typical kick-about by any standard. But I watched it specifically trying to see what some of the posters here have said. Of course Twellman is just coming back from injury, but thats the way it goes...

Helping back on defense: He did it a few times. I was impressed, actually, I didn't figure to see it at all. He was terrible at it, commiting a foul every time. But he'll get better, I expect. Bravo Taylor.

Size: He's a lot smaller than Waldo. He looked smaller than I expected. He's listed as 5'11"/170.( Buddle listed as 6'1"/170, BMB at 6'0"/175) I'm betting Twellman is smaller than listed. Anybody got a pic of BMB and Twellman side by side?

Quickness and Skill: Didn't see it much, but he was rusty. But thats the way it goes. He may not always be playing when he has to produce for the Nats.

Bravery and aggression: He's a friggin' maniac. I loved it. It would be fun to watch him bouncing around against Mexico, Europe/SA teams. This is not what they expect from the US. Might catch them by suprise.

Unfortunately, the Revs played against 10 and then 9 men. The game was very wide open end to end. Lots of space. And Twellman couldn't score. Hey, niether could Noonan, Carrieiri, Chung or Spencer. But Waldo is not tipping them for immeadiate unrestricted starting roles with the USMNT. (I know Spencer is a Brit). Anyway, with that kind of space I was disappointed to see Twellman do so little.

And I do think the announcers were a bit easy on him. Not that they are very insightful, or even call the game really. If they are going to digress I'd rather it not be to make excuses. If Taylor makes those same excuses he's done, he'll never go anywhere.

5. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Wynalda to Bruce Arena: It's "now or never" for Taylor Twellman

See, now you have said something that I am really feeling! What is up with Clint and his amazing disappearing act in many of the games that he's in. After the way he had performed in many qualifying games in 2001, he has severely disappointed since that time!

6. Beast_Ed

Beast_Ed Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Boston MetroWest
    Over time we've had success with ..

Wynalda / Wegerle / Ramos
    Wynalda / Moore / Ramos
    McBride / Mathis / Reyna

Who's next ?

Donovan / TWELLMAN / Martino

???

Beast_Ed

7. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    In a certain sense your absolutly correct. But I'm not sure that Buddle would fall into this situation. Its not his spectacular that makes me think he'll make it big, but his explosiveness with the ball (the kid would have been an amazing Running Back), his speed, strength and power in the air, his first touch, and the close control he has with the ball. So I'm impressed with his pure talent. I mean wouldn't mind if he sucked in half his games with the crew, but you look at a kid with so much talent and you know you gotta bring him up (like Bobby Convey, all kinds of talent, but inconsistent)

8. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's "never" for Twellman. He's like Kreis, good in MLS but can't do it at the highest level.

He and Wynalda can go and hug each other and try and figure out how the "best" guy can't get it done, and from the spot too. Is a finisher? NOT!

Bring on Buddle. I haven't heard much about Eddie Johnson, has he been getting his fair shot? I believe he is bigger than Twellman and has better skills.

9. Chester FC

Chester FC New Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Based on last night's evidence, other MLS games and his admittedly short time with the Nats, TT just does not have enough talent to make it at the international level (well, let's say strong CONCACAF and better).

He is too slow and does not create his own shot. Absolutely devastating flaws for a striker at the level we need to progress. For the love of God, Nat Borchers shut the dude down completely.

Bruce seems to understand this, and hopefully he will blood some of the younger talent with more upside: Buddle, Johnson et al.

Which is not to say, Twellman would not be effective in WCQ against the smaller Concacaf teams. He may indeed. But he will not raise our game.

10. divingheader

divingheader Member

Nov 10, 2001
    St John, NB, Canada
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't bury him yet. He's still just a youngster, and a not very experienced one at that. This is only his second pro season, and he played college ball, not prop 40 or in a Euro-type youth set-up. And his European vacation didn't include any PT (thus my counting this as his second pro year...).
    I choose to believe he has a lot to learn and hope that he will. Butr thinking about it a little more, if he doesn't get a different challenge than MLS he will probably be about where he is now (in terms of skill) for the next 10 years.
    My original contention still seems solid to me. Throw he and Buddle head to head in USMNT camp and let BA sort out the best man for whatever job needs doing.

11. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    Game Over.

12. Crew14

Crew14 Member

Apr 11, 2000
    Brunswick
    Speaking of Johnson, I saw him against the Crew last weekend and he impressed me. He had good speed and strength on the ball. His finishing could be improved. I'm not sure how he'd be internationally, but I would definitely like to see him get a shot. Seeing as I've only seen him once, what do those from Dallas think about him?

C14

13. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disagree here.He played (and scored in)Regionalliga for the first reserves (not "youth side") of a Bundesliga side and trained with the pros.If that was a vacation,I'd hate to see what you call work.

My original contention still seems solid to me. Throw he and Buddle head to head in USMNT camp and let BA sort out the best man for whatever job needs doing. [/QUOTE]

True,but they'd have to both be healthy at the same time...

14. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Of course! Twelman and Donovan play on two difference position on the field, Donovan is more like a playmaker and Twellman so far have show a cunning ability to finish ...

15. divingheader

divingheader Member

Nov 10, 2001
    St John, NB, Canada
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Originally posted by RevPOWA
    "the guy just came back from serious facial injuries and was showing some major rust.....he obviously wasnt gonna exactly light up the rapids, there were way too many circumstances running against him.

I was sitting in my accustomed third row 45 yrd line seat...so I got a real nice view of what happened throughout the game.

Noonan was totally ineffective, Taylor was basically doing the business upfront alone, well not alone, with Mastroeni, Borchers, and Fraser beating him up the whole match.

He missed a few chances that just went wide...may have buried them if he wasnt rusty...he missed a huge header...that i know for sure he wouldve gotten if wasnt rusty..the PK was ridiculous garlick dove well before taylor shot and got LUCKY...Herny and Rudd both have missed mulitple pk's this year anyways...

Stay tuned for our next match against Crew ....I GUARANDAMNTEE Taylor will score at least ONE GOAL."

Bless you, RevPOWA, you are a total Homer, devoid of any shred of objectivity. You gotta to love them, as long as they don't get to set the line-ups.

16. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on divingheader....TT will score at least one, but I'm betting it will be an own goal cause he is just coming back from serious facial injuries and is showing some major rust.

17. divingheader

divingheader Member

Nov 10, 2001
    St John, NB, Canada
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TeamUSA: "Come on divingheader....TT will score at least one, but I'm betting it will be an own goal cause he is just coming back from serious facial injuries and is showing some major rust."

OHH, that hurt. Hit him right in the excuse. All ball, too!

18. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RevPOWA, you just killed yourself with that biased statement. Biased or ULTRA biased, I can't really detect a difference at all.

Take the blinders off when it comes to selection rather than just sticking with your home team.

And while I'm a bozo I would hardly side with players that are from my team, as I'm sure many others would do the same.

19. divingheader

divingheader Member

Nov 10, 2001
    St John, NB, Canada
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Originally posted by RevPOWA :
    "now be a good fella and stay tuned this weekend to watch Taylor show WHY HE BELONGS to the USMNT"

Personally I'd love to see it. Lets hope he gets hot and returns to form.